Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

Sas with old man emu springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sas with old man emu springs

First off i looked high and low and did not find the info i was looking for.
The truck
88 runner 33X10.50s, 1" bl 22re, w56, rear locker 4.88s and lots of other junk.
This is my dd/wheeler/camper.
I really need to ditch the ifs its ben draged over too many rocks over the last 6 years but has ben very good to me.
I really want to keep the truck low so i was thinking about using ome springs
with Trail gear sas parts. As we know all of the spring hangers add 1"of lift
up front . What should i do about the rear to make it level and cary the load
of my sleeping platform and gear. should I reuse the lift shackles (6"eye to eye) or use aals ? I really just want to bolt on the rear springs.
Also is it better to use the spacer plate on the drivers side front spring pad
and 2 passanger side front springs or go with the factory style set up.
In the end I would be pissed if the truck sucked off road but i would be really pissed if the truck sucked on the street.
thanks.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:21 AM

hey dave...welcome to yotatech. a lot of your questions are answered other places, but to get you rolling i can make a few recomendations:

(1) evaluate what your off-road goals are. if we have a better idea of what you are going for, then we can give you more helpful info.

(2) given the amount of work a sas involves, i would spend the time and $$ making it exactly what you want, not a half step away from what you want.

(3) no matter what, you'll have to make/buy spring mounts for the front axle. since you have to do that, i would recommend using a set of rear springs up front (for short, RUF). they are super cheap, the spring packs can be taken apart and put back together to get the ride/height you want. almost all of the major yota aftermarket site have kits in the $150 range for this...sky-manufacturing.com, allprooffroad.com, trail-gear.com, etc.

(4) dont forget that whatever you do in the front, you will have to go with a crossover steering system. see the above sites for those as well...count the cost! additionally, you will have shocks, u-bolts, and additional hardware to consider, not to mention if the front axle needs any freshening up.

(5) i would stay away from shackle lift for the rear. a shackle lift will cause all sorts of vibrations on road from the rear driveline. i've been there and done that...hated it. if you want some lift with stock length springs, you are locked into OME, superlift, rancho or something else. remember with a 4runner the lift will be less than with a truck because of the added weight of the hard top...plus your gear and sleeping platform. you need at least an inch of lift more for the rear than for the front, and maybe 1.5" depending on how much weight. this can be hard to determine especially if you dont know the spring rates of the springs you are putting in.

(6) last one from me...i would strongly consider using rear 1/2 ton chevy springs in the back. the 63" ones are not a bolt in (again, there are kits available) but it gives you several things: first, lift with the ability to play with height. second, a longer, softer spring. this is good for on-road comfort and off-road ability. third, you will be able to carry the load you want to carry. honestly, cutting and re-welding the rear mounts is much simpler than the front. you will need longer brake lines and shocks as well as different u-bolts, but this is the way i would steer you from what i see you asking.

all this is my opinion and is not gospel. take it for what it is and DO MORE RESEARCH! and keep in mind, this is a fun, rewarding project, but it will always cost more and take more time than you anticipate....so anticipate it!
Old 07-19-2009, 06:48 AM

My goal is to have a dd trail rig that i can camp in, more or less a light duty
expedition truck.
I have spent a alot of time doing research on what would suit my needs but still havent
found all the info yet.
I know what it takes to do a sas thats why i want to do a kit but all the kits give you at least 4" of lift for a grand total of 5" with the bl .
I would like a total of 3-4" of lift because the biggest tires i will ever run down the road will be 34x10.50 swamper ltbs for wheeling only or 33x12.50s .
I did buy a chevy spring swap kit from skys but had second thoughts about doin it
because i have read that you cant use the stock shock location and tilting the shocks in board makes the truck handel crappy on the street.
I can buy back the chevy spring swap back from the kid that i sold it to.
Any info is apreciated. but keep in mind this truck will see most of the time on the street but since the ifs is so beat( it cant be algined correctly with out getting out the torch) sas is the only choice
I have a 85 axle, a v6 3rd with a true trac and 4.88s and about $1800 to spend.
I will be doing all the work myself.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:55 PM
MSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
read this
\ https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f152...ck-sas-164531/
it is close to what you are thinking
Old 07-26-2009, 05:14 AM

Thanks MSR
Ok so this is the plan so far
I am goning to use the trail gear sas kit with old man emu springs
and chevys in the rear shocks in the stock location
Old 07-26-2009, 05:35 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
No build thread but contact user "Magpie" and ask him about his Toyota. I helped him set his up...don't remember all the specifics, but he wanted it low and to carry heavy loads at times.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:27 PM

thanks guys for the info.