Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

AZ people, FR42 trail ride. Anyone interested?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 07:28 PM
BAZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AZ people, FR-42 trail ride. Anyone interested?

New to this forum, I have been reading around a lot around here lately so i decided to become a member. (im usually on 4x4wire.com) Was going to see if anyone was interested in getting a little trailride suitable for anyone with a 4x4 together. any other suggestions as far as trails etc. are welcome. FR-42 is pretty local for me and I know its only rated a 3 for difficulty so most anyone could come along.

Last edited by BAZ; 09-13-2005 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey BAZ, I'm in Yuma, AZ. What's up? What is "FR42"? I go wheeling every day, by myself. I can't find anyone to go. All summer I get up at 2:00AM and drink coffee, take my wife to work and then go wheeling in the darkness, until it get's too hot. Then I go home. Cave Creek is on the other side of Phoenix, from Yuma, right?
Old 09-13-2005, 09:08 PM
BAZ

Originally Posted by azredliner
Hey BAZ, I'm in Yuma, AZ. What's up? What is "FR42"? I go wheeling every day, by myself. I can't find anyone to go. All summer I get up at 2:00AM and drink coffee, take my wife to work and then go wheeling in the darkness, until it get's too hot. Then I go home. Cave Creek is on the other side of Phoenix, from Yuma, right?
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...hlight=arizona

Someone already tried to get one of these rides together but I guess it didnt work out for everyone as far as scheduling/weather. I was out that way today and it looked very fun and doable for stock or nearly stock trucks (like me) I'm open to any suggestions as far as dates, meeting points, etc. It would be cool to get a bunch of people together for this as I'm not very experienced and would like to meet new people and get tips and pointers from some of the more experienced people on this board.

Last edited by BAZ; 09-13-2005 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member

Last I heard the trail was closed due to fire damage.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:30 PM
BAZ

Huh. I went a little further past that trail on seven springs road just before it closes to FR-285 i think and went on that trail for a couple of miles before turning around and it was fine. A little scorched here and there but definately doable. Not sure about FR-42 but the trail I went on was just a couple of miles if that further and I did fine. It said that seven springs road was closed right where I started FR-285. I didnt venture up the road to bartlett lake but there was plenty of traffic headed up that way today. One way or the other, it would definately be cool if we could get some people together to do an "everyone" run soon.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:48 PM
Contributing Member

keep postin' I may have some time to kill this weekend, a few weeks back I did broken arrow and let my penguin flippers fly! I can't go on the other planned AZ run, no 32's and no locker. DAMIT!

shameless theft of schaefer's term, i think, "penguin flippers" I love it.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:09 PM
BAZ

Originally Posted by dlbrunner
keep postin' I may have some time to kill this weekend, a few weeks back I did broken arrow and let my penguin flippers fly! I can't go on the other planned AZ run, no 32's and no locker. DAMIT!

shameless theft of schaefer's term, i think, "penguin flippers" I love it.

Not quite sure what "penguin flippers" are but yeah, I'd like to arrange a ride sometime soon. I have a concert on saturday I have to go to during the day and sunday I work 3-9.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:03 AM

Has anyone done The Devil's Highway (El Diablo)? That looks like it would be fun. I checked it out, a little. It runs through all types of tarrains from Tucson to Yuma. It's about 200 miles, I think and a quick trip takes about 3 days. Regular 4X4's can do it. Check it out! http://www.4x4now.com/pp001.htm

Last edited by azredliner; 09-15-2005 at 07:05 AM.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:39 AM
Contributing Member

Yes, here you go:

http://www.roadrunner4wheelers.org/devil1999/index.html
Old 09-15-2005, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
Man! Those were some beautiful pics. I want to go on that trail, after I get my engine rebuilt, get a rear locker and Hi-Steer suspention. Maybe just after my engine get's done. How long was the trip?
Old 09-15-2005, 09:33 AM
Contributing Member

El camino del diablo is all 2wd, easy sleazy. Penguin flippers=IFS You can get to rocky point via dirt road from the El camiino Del Diablo, however I would not reccomend it because it is illegal to cross the border w/o going through a check point.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:50 PM
BAZ

Anybody want to go to the hassayampa box canyon in wickenburg??
Old 09-15-2005, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by BAZ
I'd like to check that out. My weekends are pretty tight right now but I could do Sunday 10/25. Let's throw that out as a possible. I also have weekdays off pretty regularly, so if any of you can make something like that let me know. Weekdays are currently better for me at least for the time being and we could avoid other traffic. But lets leave it tentatively for 10/25 and adjust from there depending on intrest from others

Mike
Old 09-16-2005, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
I'd like to check that out. My weekends are pretty tight right now but I could do Sunday 10/25. . . . But lets leave it tentatively for 10/25 and adjust from there depending on intrest from others
Mike
10/25 is a Tuesday. 9/25 is a Sunday.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BAZ
sure. I have no plans in the near future, with the exception of 9/30-10/2 That is vegas weekend.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by dlbrunner
El camino del diablo is all 2wd, easy sleazy. Penguin flippers=IFS You can get to rocky point via dirt road from the El camiino Del Diablo, however I would not reccomend it because it is illegal to cross the border w/o going through a check point.
Yeah, but ain't it a beauty?
Old 09-16-2005, 01:13 PM
Contributing Member

Yes it was a cool road. The chick at the forest service office asked us if we were sure we wanted to drive a 1972 truck on the road, my buddy and I said "yes" we then called the BLM I think to let them know we were hitting the trail, when the dude asked what we were driving, I said 72 ladcruiser, he was like "cool! you guys will have no problems" Damn skippy!

I would say it is a pretty cool trail, fairly long, remote, excellent scenery. Now that I have done that I want to head down to baja, puertocitos (sp) is the furthest south I have been (40Kilometers south of San Felipe IIRC). Feb will be the races down there, I think It may be time to organize a trip for that event. San Felipe has a mechanical bull!
Old 09-16-2005, 01:41 PM

hey duncan, you still gonna try and make it up this way sometime?
Old 09-16-2005, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, work has slowed a little, but I am on call for the next few months to go to New Orleans, I am sure we will get a few days notice before we go. I liked the pics and am bummed I slept in. In short I will get up there soon, it is fall and time to get out of the house!

BTW A buddy of mine from another forum asked if I wanted to do a run to crown King tomorrow AM but I have been told the road is bad, possibly un-doable for my puddle jumper. Supposed to be a bunch of cruiser guys, anyone else here going on that one?

Any feedback on the condition of the trail??
Old 09-16-2005, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by AZ4ME
10/25 is a Tuesday. 9/25 is a Sunday.
:pat: Oh yeah, I meant 9/25.

Mike

Quick Reply: AZ people, FR42 trail ride. Anyone interested?