Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

Upgrade 4runner or Buy Rubicon???

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Upgrade 4runner or Buy Rubicon???

I recently purchased a 1997 Limited 4Runner (~120k miles, automatic), and I am considering upgrading it: tires, wheels, 3" lift, winch + bumper, and possibly more. My dilemma is that all these upgrades will cost a ton, so should I buy something with all of the upgrades already on it instead (or potentially buy something that I wouldn't need to upgrade much, such as a Rubicon)? I like the 4runner because of how it drives + the extra seating / space, but I can save a $2K+ if I buy another vehicle that's upgraded already (for example: http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/2348333691.html)... What are your thoughts?

Things I want to be able to do with the vehicle:
- occasional roadtrips
- mild offroading
- camping
- trails
- snowboard / ski / winter activities
Old 04-27-2011, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member

If you look around for deals, the mods will be cheaper for your 4Runner. You could buy one that's already modified, but you just recently purchased yours; why didn't you get one that was the way you wanted it in the first place? This is a Toyota forum, so the answer to the Rubicon question is going to be 'no'. Besides, you proclaim to be poor, so the Jeep route is probably not for you. For mild off-roading, like you describe, you'll be surprised at how far a stock or mildly modified 4Runner will go. Good luck with your build, and welcome to YT.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by malteserunner
If you look around for deals, the mods will be cheaper for your 4Runner. You could buy one that's already modified, but you just recently purchased yours; why didn't you get one that was the way you wanted it in the first place? This is a Toyota forum, so the answer to the Rubicon question is going to be 'no'. Besides, you proclaim to be poor, so the Jeep route is probably not for you. For mild off-roading, like you describe, you'll be surprised at how far a stock or mildly modified 4Runner will go. Good luck with your build, and welcome to YT.
I figured this forum might have some Toyota bias, but I love Toyotas too. I didn't buy one with all of the mods originally because it's hard to find one with all the things you want and when you do, you're never sure if the vehicle has quality mod work or if the car was really well taken care of... In terms of looking around for mod deals, do you have any suggestions? I'm currently buying all of the stuff from 4wheelparts and they are also the ones doing the modification... TIA!
Old 04-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
The Jeep you posted isn't a Rubicon...?!?!
Old 04-27-2011, 12:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by iampoor
....I didn't buy one with all of the mods originally because it's hard to find one with all the things you want and when you do, you're never sure if the vehicle has quality mod work or if the car was really well taken care of......
You want to save money on modding the runner, so your looking at an already modded vehicle to save your 2K+, why then, would it matter if it was an already modded 4runner or Heep? Either vehicle could have some shotty work on it from a P/O..

I'd say Keep your runner and do mod's that are needed for what you want to do...
Old 04-27-2011, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
The Jeep you posted isn't a Rubicon...?!?!
Fair point , but it has all the modes I want, so I was just using it as an example.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by OrRunner
You want to save money on modding the runner, so your looking at an already modded vehicle to save your 2K+, why then, would it matter if it was an already modded 4runner or Heep? Either vehicle could have some shotty work on it from a P/O..

I'd say Keep your runner and do mod's that are needed for what you want to do...
Yea I guess my original argument for not buying modded is illogical. Thanks for the idiot check. I guess I'll stick with my original plan for modding. Now the real question is if I'm getting the best deal / will get the best work done at 4wheelparts... does anyone have experience with them? Also any other shop suggestions for Washington state?
Old 04-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Contributing Member

I have a friend with a Sonoran Steel 1.2 lift and Camburg upper control arms, that you could get for $600 plus shipping. It's been installed for less than two years, and hardly used off road. I'm sure this would save you a lot of money, and no doubt be a better kit than what you'd get at 4WP.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by malteserunner
I have a friend with a Sonoran Steel 1.2 lift and Camburg upper control arms, that you could get for $600 plus shipping. It's been installed for less than two years, and hardly used off road. I'm sure this would save you a lot of money, and no doubt be a better kit than what you'd get at 4WP.
Hmm... that sounds like a reasonable idea, but then I'd need to find a good mechanic because I'm definitely not skilled enough to try this install myself and the real cost is in the labor. =\
Old 06-14-2011, 07:58 AM

you are asking if you should buy a jeep or make your 4runner better? on a toyota site? 99.99999999% of the people here are going to say keep the 4runner.