Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

Looking for a pipedream?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pipedream search - finding a couple!

The past few weeks, I have found myself re-entered into the market for a vehicle. I have a few parameters I am stuck to, some that I am not, and I know there are many things I have no control of.

Budget - trying to keep it around $4000. Seems to be a decent amount for something that above the "beat-to-snot" category and low enough to be comfortable finance-wise.

Model - 1st or 2nd gen. 4runner or 3rd gen. pickup with extended cab. I wouldn't mind the 2nd gen. truck, but its' "extended cab" isn't that large. Of the 4runners, I would LOVE to find a decent 2nd gen (4 door), but it seems like most people that have them do a SAS, rip the doors off, roll it and then throw it back on Craigslist.

Engine - 22RE, and primarily for fuel economy reasons. My last vehicle, an '88 4runner, was more than sufficient "powerplant" wise. Unfortunately, had to ditch it due to shot tranny/clutch and overall mess. I used it mainly for commuting, but this vehicle will be more of a "get out of town to the mountains for the weekend" type of vehicle, with occasional jaunts of a few hundred miles. I have a decent sense of how this engine operates, making self-maintenance easier. I find significantly higher number of the 3.0 3FZE going around, but their lower fuel economy, claims of less-than-favorable reliability and my inexperience with them puts them lower on the list. I know nothing about the 2.7L 4 cylinder engine, and despite their fuel economy being "closer" to that of the 22RE, they are generally found in vehicle too new for me to be able to afford.

Transmission - I would prefer manual, but am ok with with auto. Seeing as I won't be using this as a commuter vehicle, the severe stop-and-go of Seattles' Metro area won't destroy a manual at a quicker rate, but autos seem to be a little more common around me.

So there are my parameters. Pretty flexible on some things, not so much on others. Next are my restrictions, which in some ways severely limit what vehicle I can pursue...

Proximity - We (the gal and I) are currently vehicle-less. I don't mind a 50-60mile round trip bike ride this time of year, and buses go some places, as do trains, but for anything outside of a half day trip I pretty much have to pass up. My last vehicle I bought only after paying to have a Toyota dealership do a full inspection, and it was nerve-wracking even then. I have been searching local/non-local Craigslists, Autotrader, eBay motors, general Google searches and a few other websites.

Condition - So many people beat the snot out of their trucks and then try to sell them for just under dealer lot prices. I don't get it. Even when someone is prudent enough to hang onto maintenance receipts, it's hard to tell. We live in a tiny apartment with only street parking and no garage. I feel I have wasted a lot of time already (with my old truck) crawling in/around/under in the wet gravel just trying to keep it reliable enough for my girl and I to use. I can't do that again, at least not now. Perhaps when we have a garage, I will be able to consider a project truck.

I dunno, it seems I have a lot against me in this hunt. I've even started to look at some 1st gen. Monteros and Troopers. Same fuel economy as a V6 Toyota, so I stop in my tracks and start looking over different V6 threads on here. Am I being too picky?

-Chris

Last edited by babyfood1217; 03-17-2013 at 07:54 AM. Reason: updates
Old 03-02-2013, 02:40 PM

Sounds like you're just as picky as I was when I was looking for a truck lol. I wanted a 1st gen 4Runner, 22RE, 5 speed, SR5, not beat to hell, rear window working, no leaks in top or motor, etc. etc. Would have liked to have a SFA, but people want like 6-7 grand for those and they're beat to hell. You just gotta be patient and check CL every day. Keep in mind when you're buying an old vehicle you WILL be working on it a lot, I do at least, but I enjoy the pain . I had to do my timing chain in the rain which sucked, but I REALLY didn't want a hole in my timing chain cover. The maintainence that people overlook for 20 years starts to rear it's ugly head and demands attention.

Anyways, you can get yourself a decent rig for 4K, you just have to be patient. I know what you mean about people wanting insane amounts for their beat up rigs, but there are good deals to be had if you keep an eye out for them. They usually go pretty quick though.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:51 PM

i get how your feeling man i spent so much time on craigslist over the past few months looking for something that wasnt a broken down peice of crap that now that i found something decent i dont know what to do with my free time, but the deals are out there you just haveta jump on em. just found my 4 runner sunday and it was the first one areound my 3k buget that didnt have a major mechanical problem granted there are a few cosmetic things that could be fixed but it drives down the road fine so the fact its not pretty isnt that big a deal for me. but just be patient and your deal will come around
Old 03-05-2013, 02:08 PM

look on cl there is a few rigs that fit what you are looking for
Old 03-17-2013, 07:59 AM

Well, as it turns out, a few eligible choices are sneaking around out there. Just found this online today...

http://www.friesenmotorsports.com/ve...?VID=182648767

1986 4runner
5sp
22re
pretty clean
asking $4000

So much of me wants to commit to it! Hard part is, I'm an hour drive away without car access right now and its Sunday so the banks are closed.

What do you guys think of the price based on the specs/pics? That ad is literally the only thing I have to go on, so looking at it, you would know jsut as much as I would...

-Chris
Old 03-17-2013, 10:38 AM

Looks like it's in pretty good shape. You can really only tell for sure if it's worth it by seeing it and driving it though. See if you can get any proof that the timing chain has been done recently as they only last around 100k. With 134k on the motor if it hasn't been replaced it will need to be very soon.

Last edited by B-Fake; 03-17-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:35 PM

I might might might have a chance at a '95 4runner. Owner has been working graveyard shifts so reaching her has been a little hit or miss, but she is pretty sure it's a 4cyl. 5speed for sure. Not sure of miles, and a little worse for wear on exterior body work, but she had some engine maintenance done:
- T-chain 3 years ago
- fixed an oil leak (not sure what yet, but will find out)
- crankshaft bearing redone?
- rear window reg. motor

It's listed for $3000 but she told me she'd take $2500 for it to have it gone. Her BF bought it for her son to drive, but he wanted an automatic. Hopefully going to look at it tomorrow!

If the engine runs smoothly, shifting is smooth, T-case engages properly, and it's not a rusted pile, I will likely purchase. It's under my projected budget, so the extra $$ can be used for maintenance and refinements to bring it to what I really want!

I'm so excited!!! Wish me luck and let me know if there is anything weird I should look/listen for. Electric gremlins, oil leaks and bad rust on the frame are a couple of additional deal breakers. Cosmetic stuff doesn't bother me, nor do exhaust, brake, tire issues.

Woooieee!

- Chris
Old 03-24-2013, 06:56 PM

Well, everything from above was confirmed during a phone conversation this evening. Only thing I learned that did slow me down a bit was mileage: 280,000. What sort of concerns would this cause for you? I'm going to do some high-mileage maintenance research tonight before I go to bed, but everything you guys might think of right off??

- Chris
Old 03-24-2013, 07:17 PM

Off the top of my head...

Timing chain
Valves
Rings
Bearings
Head Gasket

If it hasn't had a rebuild these things, among others, will be getting worn. See if they'll let you do a compression or leak down test. If not just drive it and if it pulls good and doesn't smoke the motor is probably in decent shape.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:39 AM

I'll have to do the old "by the seat of my pants" testing. I'm going to be slightly turned off if it's leaking, but for what my budget WAS, even getting a new long-block (I can't rebuild by myself) would still be within my budget.

But I don't wan't to think like that.

It'll be good to go, right like this... I hope.

Wish me luck.

-C
Old 03-25-2013, 07:17 PM

pipedream found!

I bought a vehicle! I will document as much about it as I can, as time allows. If you'd like to check it out, go here!