Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

'94 Reg Cab DX 4x4 a good buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 04:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'94 Reg Cab DX 4x4 a good buy?

Hello,

I am new to the forum and have already found a great deal of information about the 22re engines, but I am in the market for a 90's toyota pickup and I came across a 1994 Reg cab DX 4x4. It has 194,560 miles and the dealer wants about $4k for it. I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler now and am tired of dumping money into it. Does anyone on here think it would be a good idea to buy the Toyota and sell the Jeep? I also need money so I figured I could sell the Jeep and make a little money plus I do not drive all that much. It does have high miles but I have heard the 22re running for much farther. Also the truck looks super clean and taken care of, I plan on going to test drive it later on today. Let me know if anyone thinks this is a good idea or what your thoughts are on it. Thanks!
Old 11-29-2011, 04:47 AM

its probly a great truck, but kinda high priced most likely because its at the dealer. you would be better off searching craigslist or something and finding a private sale. 200k isnt a ton for these motors, but if the common problems havent already been addressed expect to be doing headgasket, timing chain at the minimum in the near future. you can easily sell the jeep for what you are buying the yota for, but it still is a little high if its a stock truck with no mods. i got my 94 with 100k and zero bondo in mint shape for 3k. but either way its a great truck and you wont be unhappy. just expect to have more power with your lawnmower engine. good luck
Old 11-29-2011, 04:52 AM

4k is a but steep but a used car dealer is expected to be. I would look for a better deal person to person.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:55 AM

Thanks Sherminator,
I also thought it was pretty high priced, I don't plan on spending anything over $3k for the truck, if they wont take that I will keep looking. I think even KBB for excellent condition is only about $3k. I have been searching craigslist for awhile now and the trucks seem almost nonexistent around my area...or the ones I have found are not in good shape at all but oh well. Thanks for the help!
Old 11-29-2011, 04:57 AM

If you really like the truck for that price, I would say have the dealer through in the head gasket, timing chain, and water pump included in the sale, and sit around watching it be done.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:00 AM

Good point 93toy, does anyone know around what price a new head gasket, timing chain and water pump would cost? Just so I can try and deal a little more on the price. Thanks for you help!
Old 11-29-2011, 05:10 AM

all that stuff is not a huge deal, and not super hard to do, just stuff to be aware of. and who knows it might have just been done, and it will be fine for a while. if you can get it for 3k i would say go ahead, and keep the extra money from the jeep for minor issues as the come about while you start running it. im in ma, and yotas are hard as hell to find up here that arent rotted to ˟˟˟˟˟. just give it a good looking over,check the frame really good and try talking him down as much as you can. anything else can be fixed easily enough with a little elbow grease and YOTATECH. these trucks are not too hard to be wrenched on.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:54 PM

Drove from my place to the dealer (about an hour away) and found out that earlier in the day a guy took it out on a test drive and blew the head gasket........wish they would have called and told me that because they knew I was coming...anyways...if they are replacing the headgasket now, would that mean that the water pump and timing chain will need replaced soon? The salesmen knew nothing about it of course...
Old 12-02-2011, 02:06 PM

I was also wondering if I should be listening for anything or is there anything specific to check when out on a test drive to be sure its an ok truck. Thanks for all your help again