Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

85gijunks possible next purchase ;)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 03:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
85gijunks possible next purchase ;)

well heres the deal....i kinda gave up on getting a title for "angus" my 88, i've been looking for either a parts truck i can swap parts over to with a good title, or just a whole other complete rig. I cam across this one awhile ago, and was majorly turned off by the rust, but then i saw it again last night and noticed the rockers and cab seams arent bad, so i'll call the guy and ask how the frame is etc.

anyway, after convincing myself it was sold, the guy finally called me back, he said if i was interested he'd take $650. i saw pictures of the frame and its really not all that bad, its just alittle questionable from the rear axle back....wich if i'm understanding correctly, can be easily hacked off and replaced by box steel AS long as the rear axle shackles are square, so it doesnt ride sideways.

so th details on the truck are its an 88 xtra cab, 3.0l only 120 some odd thousand, and it runs great, but wont get far since the tank wont hold gas.

i'm going to take a look at it wednesday, it sounds like a good rig, and the owner was a very polite seemingly honest man. Most importantly its TAGGED AND READY TO GO

my plans are if everything goes as planned, is to obviously, ditch the bed and fenders, replace them with the ones i have, swap over the gas tank etc. and swap over my interior blah blah blah and pretty much convert this truck to "angus" since i have some kinda crazy feelings for that truck....

and then eventually swap over my 5 speed, gears, tires, twin stick transfer case etc. etc.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:59 PM

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/2913040018.html

oops, heres the link
Old 04-09-2012, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the frames not bad I'd say for $650 you can't go wrong. I would just crawl under there and look it over really carefully
Old 04-09-2012, 04:25 PM

I told the guy it'd be worth it for 650 because wether it's road ready or not I need parts for both my rigs real bad! I'm bringing a hammer with me but by the looks of the pictures he sent me it's not all that bad, I may just end up replacing the back half of the frame alittle further down the road
Old 04-09-2012, 04:26 PM

Besides that, my 88 is a sound truck mechanically and physically, so whatever it may need I'm sure I have it.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
buy it.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:00 PM

I perhaps I may. I've checked out a few rigs but this one seems good enough to post about. I'm checking it out Wednesday, I'll get you guys pictures then
Old 04-11-2012, 02:14 PM

went and checked it out today. it was VERY dirty....but it should clean up really nice! Talked the owner down to $600, and figured that was good enough. Its ugly, but i got some parts to throw at it. Its got about 129,xxx miles on it, and it runs GREAT! even my dd (ford ranger) doesnt run that good. I didnt get to take it out, but i did move it forward alittle bit, tried the t-case etc. everything worked great. it was definatly a re-paint, but i dont care, i will probably paint it anyway (olive drab green ) i'll throw my fenders on it, hood, doors, windshield, the louver, bed etc. and then maybe swap over some interior stuff. Its some kind of sr5/sr5 swap/ upgraded interior model, and i can say i'm not a big fan of it. I do want to swap over my 88's interior, so i'll have a full sr5 interior for sale soon. after awhile i want to swap over my axles, and transmission/tcase etc. This stuff pretty rusty, so i want to get as much of the rusty stuff off as soon as i can before it gets worse. anyway, heres pictures.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:16 PM

like i said, it is what it is. its not a gem, but it will clean up nice...i must say though, this cab is 100% rust free! its in great shape. everything else needs some attention, though. i'll take care of it, it'll get back to normal soon enough. I know the frame looks pretty bad, but it should hold on for awhile. When i start running out of things to do, i might hack the back off, and weld in some thick walled box steel.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im subscribed waiting for a build thread now.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:07 PM

Should look like my other 88 when it's done... And then maybe get a sas and 37's, and some cool armor, maybe an exo-cage? Who knows
Old 04-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
that thing must way 200 pounds less than a stock x-cab

I take it the current owner was left handed?
Old 04-11-2012, 06:54 PM

I'm not digging the fancy interior really anyway xD hopefully everything except the gauge cluster will swap over from my 88 nicely! I can't wait to get it home and just start swapping stuff, it's much too ugly the way it is right now
Old 04-12-2012, 04:09 PM

should have it home in less then 24 hours. (about 20 to be exact)

i dont know where to start, man. I'm trying to swap over as much stuff as i can from my 88....i mean as much as i can. The 88 had a bad oil leak, so everythings coated with oil and all brand new looking, this trucks dry, wich means its a RUST BUCKET.

like i said before though, everything on my 88 was great, except for the cab...and the lack of a title.

this cab is good, it has a title, and i have a complete parts truck.

combine the two and i should have a good truck that only costed $900
Old 04-13-2012, 09:33 PM

Got the truck home today and did a thorough once over and I should say it's not as bad as I thought. Though the frame looks bad, it's solid on and out all the way through on both sides, though the bed "perches" I guess you call them may need to be replaced. I paid $600 for it, but I forgot to mention it has a salvage title. When and why it got a salvage title is beyond me. There's no sign of any major crash, and the truck drives straight so the frame can't be all that bad. I'm guessing maybe it's because of the bad rust?

At first when I saw it only had 130k on it, I thought for sure it was a rollback but decided to buy it anyway, but after feeling how tight the key was I. The ignition, and how well the seatbelts retracted I figured it couldn't be bad. And the floor mats look like they've never been taken out. The carpet underneath is beutifu and all the tits line up to the indents they made....

Oh, and I should mention I believe it was underwater at one point.... Theres reeds and muddy leaves stuck up in it everywhere underneath. I've been around the woods to know that this stuff that's under there wasn't just from mudding, it's nice saturated stuff. And inside the frame in some spots there's some pretty thick silt that I'll have to get out...again, no globs of mud, or rocks in it or anything, just a smooth layer of silt, wich means it was in flooded rushing water for awhile, rather then just romped through a creek.

It did well on the drive though, ran great, steering was fine, not too much body roll etc. I should say it is alot slower then my 3vz wich is probably just from the lack of 5.29's on worn out 35's, a straightpipe, a manual transmission, and all the dumb smog and intake mods I did.

4wd works good, all the gears shift (overdrive was kinda "sticking" at first, probably from sitting for Awhile) BUT....it has warn hubs
Old 07-19-2012, 02:27 PM

long story...went out into no mans land to see if i could find a bronco for my girlfriend sittin on a farm somewhere i could talk the owners into selling me..well, found 3. and then, kpt driving around and out of the corner of my eye literally saw the first 3 inches of a toyota peeking out behind some guys barn. Pulled over, knocked on the door, real nice guy. asked him about the truck, told me its for sale, make an offer, keys are in it go drive it around. Went back there, started right up drove it blah blah blah, got to talking ex-wives, surgeries, tractors, everything...turs out he knows a couple guys from my town who i work ith etc. wanted $800 but after our nice chat he dropped it t $300 and i offered $250 and he said i could have it. going back tomorrow to show it to my pops and dropping off a deposit. Its an 86 22r 4x4, 125xxx miles, good condition but once again i bought myself a farm truck. Broken lenses here and there, ripped up interior etc.

heres the plans. Take it to my buddy's farm and "G.I. JUNK" that thing....

throw my massive colection of stocked up parts on it, sell it for profit....

or see if my dad wants to buy it (i told him i'd donate all the parts it needs ) to keep his beloved f150 off the roads for this winter.

well. here she is...toyota #4-1/2

Old 07-29-2012, 04:02 PM

Are you interested in selling that blue 86?
Old 07-29-2012, 05:38 PM

Not at all, turns out my pops and I will share it. For the couple days we've had it it's put in some major work! Gott upload pics I have of this huge stump we ripped out with it. She can take a beating.

Once I get g.i. Junk frame swapped I'm sure I'll sell it. If you're really interested stick around, I'll keep you updated
Old 07-29-2012, 08:14 PM

alrighty, i just wanted to find one sorta cheap like you did just to hunt on and i guess you could say beat up haha, but around here most people value toyotas more, for example theres a guy around here with an 87 360,000 and worse condition that that and wants 2 grand..