General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No dash no start no click 96 taco

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 05:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No dash no start no click 96 taco

Hi everyone new to yotatech here..1996 toyota tacoma 3.4 ltr 4x4 no dash lights no crank no click no turn signals, brake lights & running lights work. Battery good starter connection good main ground cable near oil pan cleaned and battery posts cleaned. All 15 amp fuses light test lamp, tested starter relay and it's ok. Headlights work as well as dome lights door buzzer and 4 way flashers. Could there be a blown fusible link I missed somewhere or possibly alternator 80 amp fuse is blown? When this happened I was able to get another motorist to pull me a few feet to bump start it and drive it home but when I turned the key off it would not restart and still had no dash lights no click no start. Any help would be appreciated

Last edited by Bigwannas; 05-31-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:22 AM

Ok so after digging around in forum I found and eliminated the fusible link wire and 80 amp alternator fuse, both are ok. Still no dash lights radio, HVAC, speedo, tach, or clutch start cancel. Headlights door buzzer brake lights and 4 way flasher still all working. Pulled every fuse under dash and in engine bay fuse boxes all are ok, but still no click no start. Also checked for O2 sensor possibly rubbing and shorting on heat guard, both are ok.. Could it be a bad starter/solenoid contacts or wiring or a failing alternator causing all instrumentation lights to go out all at once? How do I check for power getting to starter and alternator without removing them? Is anyone leaning towards ignition switch? Any help appreciated..

Last edited by Bigwannas; 05-31-2016 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:44 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Is this a new vehicle you bought with these problems ??

Something happened that caused this ??

How many miles maybe the starter needs some attention

Check the Rheostat for the dash lights not working as the tail lights are on the same circuit

Have you checked the clutch start safety circuit ??

Some times the switch on the clutch pedal gets out of adjustment

Just how are you checking the grounds removing and cleaning as well as the negative battery terminal .

Fuse sockets get bent or corroded preventing contact .
Old 06-01-2016, 04:36 AM

Thanks for your reply. I bought the truck used in 2006 with 167000 kms on it, it now has 307,000 kms.. I recently reinforced the frame with patches and long strips of 5/16 plate steel as it had corroded from driving on acidic mine properties in Sudbury, Ontario Canada. See my repairs at youtube: Fins&Racks Outdoors, there is a playlist of videos named Tacoma frame rust repair plan on that extensive repair job. The truck worked well for a week after reassembly and this happened after I plugged in the trailer lights on my boat trailer this past Saturday, not sure of relation to this or if it was the cause. I removed the battery cables when I was welding on the frame. I pulled the starter out and bench tested it and cleaned the contacts and it is working well, I had changed it in 2010, and replaced the worn contacts in 2013. I cleaned the battery terminals with a wire battery terminal cleaning tool and used a flat file to remove dirt and corrosion from the wire ends of the ground cables and fusible links and used dielectric grease on all connections. Can I use a test light to check that rheostat, to your knowledge is there a free online diagram anywhere of the wiring circuits of these trucks. Checked all fuses and all looks normal except no power to all underdash panel. I tried a test light to check power on ignition wire connection on starter solenoid and no power is going to starter. I made sure I had a good ground when doing that. How do I check the clutch start safety circuit? Many thanks again for helping me resolve this, greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by Bigwannas; 06-01-2016 at 04:48 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:09 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
So the truck only got started a few times since 2013 ??

You got the contacts and plunger from Toyota ??

You might be able to test the Rheostat with a test light but being able to measure the resistance works better

Have you since removed or replaced the converter box that may be the reason your turn signals are not working .

Those boxes seem to be nothing but problems

All the lights worked just fine on the boat trailer ??

Your not getting any battery voltage to the left side fuse block or anything when you turn the key to start ??

Time to work on one issue at a time .!!

Check the clutch start circuit and get the truck cranking

Then go from there.