General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need diagram for headlight switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 05:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Need diagram for headlight switch

Hi all,

I have a 94 4runner and the headlights won't come on. They only work in flash mode. I have found the post by 4crawler about this, but i need an exploded view of this combo headlight switch so that I can figure out how to take it apart , clean the contact tips and put it back together.

Also I need to know which relay to check as well, in case its not the switch.

Thanks
Old 12-16-2007, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
How to clean the contacts:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...eadlight_Combo

Easiest way to tackle the switch is just operate it and see which contact move and make contact in the various switch positions.

And a wiring diagram (for my '85 4Runner) headlight switch:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...l#HarnessTypes
Old 12-17-2007, 01:29 PM

Thanks for the info.

I checked out the link about the combo switch, can you get to the contact points without taking the steering wheel off?

Also I can hear a relay clicking under the hood is this the only one that controls the lights?

Thanks
Old 12-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by wishmaster22
Thanks for the info.

I checked out the link about the combo switch, can you get to the contact points without taking the steering wheel off?
See the web page:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...eadlight_Combo

"It may not be required to remove the steering wheel.
* It gives more working room and that is how I did this repair.
* I really don't feel like redoing the whole repair to try it with the wheel in place, after all if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Also I can hear a relay clicking under the hood is this the only one that controls the lights?

Thanks
Yes, that is likely the one stock headlight relay that supplies power to all the exterior lights. It is controlled by one of the contacts as I recall.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:20 PM

Thanks,

I give it a try.

Let you know how I did.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:26 PM

If the relay is clicking , does that mean that power is getting through the steering switch?

Is there a way to find out if the relay is working?
Old 12-21-2007, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by wishmaster22
If the relay is clicking , does that mean that power is getting through the steering switch?

Is there a way to find out if the relay is working?
If the relay is clicking, it means the relay coil is getting power through the switch. So you know the relay coil is not burned out. Might be the contacts in the relay may be dirty and not passing power to the lights. So if you do not get any lights in any mode (low, high or flash - pull back on dimmer switch) then the relay may be suspect. Otherwise, while the headlights get power (12 volts) from the relay, they get ground from the combo switch. So no power = no lights, but no ground = no lights. You need power and ground to complete the circuit and make the lights come on.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:51 PM

okay, I took the steering wheel off and I cleaned the contacts, I also noticed in the combo switch harness connection that the white w/ black stripe wire had a burn spot in the plastic part of the harness where the pin connects to the wire. So i pulled the pin out and used an emory board to sand off the burn stuff.

I plugged the switch in and now the normal headlights work and the flash works, but not the hi beams when pushed forward.

Now I also have another problem. When I pulled the horn cover off I broke the plastic split pins that are on the steering wheel side. Not sure how I am going to get that horn assembly to stay in place now.

Any ideas???
Old 12-23-2007, 04:03 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds like there is still a problem on the high beam contacts in the switch or wiring. Assuming the highs come on in flash mode (both high and low should be on), then that says the bulbs are good, the wiring to the bulbs are good, but there is still some problem on the high beam contacts in the switch.

Not sure on the split pins, might try an auto parts store and check out their small parts/fasteners section. Might be something there that will work.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:15 AM

Thanks 4Crawler

I will pull the switch apart and see if I missed something on the high beam contacts. I will also check the local napa for some replacement pins!

Thanks for helping and have a great Xmas!