YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-24-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

My tail light fuse keeps blowing...

The tail light fuse on my '90 Toyota 3.0L 4x4 keeps blowing out. I checked the wiring harness underneath the truck all the way to the tail lights and trailer harness. All the wires were fine. So then I unhooked the harness, where it connects, underneath the passanger seat. Tested again and still blew the fuse. In addition to the tail light problem, it has also made it so my insturment cluster lights won't light up either. So I'm thinking the problem has got to be somewhere in the cab section of the wiring. If anyone has an idea of what might be causing this please let me know. THANKS!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
kodiak90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (2)

Try disconnecting the trailer light harness and see if things change. If not, check the tail light bulbs, might be the wrong type bulb or one with an internal short.
Project: 4Crawler
4Crawler OffRoad - YotaTech discount code
Gettin'Off 4WD Club
4Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia
Not that this matters but - when you say tail light fuse, does it blow within a minute of replacing it with the car on? Or only blow when you say, hit the breaks, turn on the "lights" or use reverse. Blinkers? I guess I am trying to see what "Draw" is blowing it.

Edit...4Crawler hit the nail on the head, the wrong bulbs would "draw" too much power and blow a fuse!

IIRC ~TC~ had this problem in his 93 runner, but for the life of me I can;t remember what we did to fix it.

I hate electrical fuse gremlins!

Get your 4x4 TOYOTA VIDEO pr0n here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
Best and cheapest are mutually exclusive. You can have the best, or you can have the cheapest, but you cannot have both.

Last edited by Lysmachia; 06-24-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Lysmachia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:25 PM   #4

I had this issue and it was an old shorted trailer wiring harness. I redid the harness and no more shorts.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:35 PM   #5
Threadstarter [OP]

Already checked the bulbs and disconnected the tail lights completely. Fuse blows when truck is running or off and only when I turn on the lights (i.e. parking or fully on). I don't like electrical problems.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #6

I had the same problem it was the tail light relay by the fuze box in the cab. round metal silverish lookin thing. i'll take a pic 1 sec.
SAS 89,trussed, bobbed, Trail Gear front & rear 5''. 3.0 V6 cold air k&N, 40 ser. flowmaster, 5speed, HP ARB font diff, Marlin Crawler inner's and marfields. 5.29 yukons, Detroit rear, 35''x13.5 toyo's. Steadily growing body damage. Two way alarm, TG rock defense bumper, Warn 8000, TG crossmember,geard rive t-case w/marlin XD 4.7s. TG Sliders, some day dual cases and a cage
swapped89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:25 PM   #7

im pretty sure it was the one on the top left. its been a few months so im not sure. they are like 20$ or u can pull one at a junk yard and hope it works too. hope this helps
Click the image to open in full size.
SAS 89,trussed, bobbed, Trail Gear front & rear 5''. 3.0 V6 cold air k&N, 40 ser. flowmaster, 5speed, HP ARB font diff, Marlin Crawler inner's and marfields. 5.29 yukons, Detroit rear, 35''x13.5 toyo's. Steadily growing body damage. Two way alarm, TG rock defense bumper, Warn 8000, TG crossmember,geard rive t-case w/marlin XD 4.7s. TG Sliders, some day dual cases and a cage
swapped89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:20 AM   #8
Threadstarter [OP]

Smile tail light fuse problem...

Thanks for all the help everyone! It was nice to get some fresh ideas. The issue ended up being the illumination wire for my stereo. It was grounding out and blowing the fuse. Just goes to show that electrical problems can come from anywhere. Problem solved!

Last edited by kodiak90; 06-25-2009 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:36 PM   #9

i am having the same problem on my 91..only not blowing fuse. The previous owner of my truck had the cd player stolen and they cut the harness completely. Do you think it would be the dimmer switch grounding out to cause this problem.?..mine were working fine until i spliced into the right parking light btw
johnson1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:06 PM   #10

Brandon Haggard
I'm thinking my truck may be the trailer as well. Pain in the ace!

Sold: 86' Pick up, 5 speed W56, 22r single cab w/rusty bed, 33x9.50R15

Sold:1986 4runner SR5, 5 speed, 22re, 284k on body/ 137k on engine. Big O A/T's 235/75R15.
ZUK MOD 12" COILS a little forward lean.
Custom Cone Filter

Colorado
86bedlesstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
4runner, 87, blowing, blown, blows, breaks, car, change, fuse, gears, hit, light, lights, shorts, tail