General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

85 Park light problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 Park light problem

I'm just scratching my head on this one.

Park lights do not work ( I just got the project, they have not worked since I got it).

No tag light, no park, nothing. Headlights work fine, turn signals, flashers, and brake lights are fine. Turns flash fast.

I have followed the wiring front to back, tested sections at a time, found one red wire that comes from the combo switch on the column fried. Said wire goes to the flasher on fusebox (round, not the green box). Underhood fuses are good. Only fuse giving any trouble is the "tail" fuse inside.

I have tried temp replacement of the red wire, but still, when I turn on the park lights with a new 10a fuse, it pops.

Looking for ideas.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Might try pulling all the bulbs and see if that changes anything. Fast turn signal is telling you the turn signal current is different than normal perhaps that is related to the parking light issue. Could be an incorrect bulb is installed someplace (1156 single filament vs. 1157 dual filament), or that a bulb is internally shorted.

Also, any aftermarket electronics (radio, CD, amp) installed? If so, check those and try disconnecting them and re-test.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I went over the whole thing again tonight, and then I remembered what you said about the accesories so I immediately unplugged the cd player that someone had put in it and presto, the park lights work (of course after I replaced the burnt wire and got it all straight again).
Old 09-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Yodaforce
Thanks. I went over the whole thing again tonight, and then I remembered what you said about the accesories so I immediately unplugged the cd player that someone had put in it and presto, the park lights work (of course after I replaced the burnt wire and got it all straight again).
Yep, some aftermarket electronics do not get along well with Toyota electrical systems. Problem is a lot of Toyota light wiring is switched ground where the light gets constant power to one side and the other side is grounded via a switch or relay to turn it on. But some electronics devices are set up with back lights hardwired to the chassis ground and the other side is supposed to get power. So you can end up with power and ground connections swapped and that causes fuses to blow out.

I had a similar issue in my '85 when I tried plugging in a new radio into the old hacked up harness that the PO has worked on. IN the end, I basically abandoned most of that old wiring, cutting it off and insulating all the cut ends. Then I ran all new wiring for power and ground and only reused the speaker wiring. Have had no problems since then. In fact, when I added that new wiring, I set up a couple of terminal strips for constant power, ground and switched power and have connected all the other things I have added over the years to those terminal strips. Saves the time of re-running wires for all that stuff every time.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 09-27-2012 at 10:04 PM.