General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Truck doesn't want to start after filling up....Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck doesn't want to start after filling up....Ideas?

This happened to me for the first time ever on Monday. I stopped and got gas, filled up the tank (and did top it off), and when I got in to start the truck it didn't want to turn over. It would try and try and try but wouldn't turn over until I pumped the gas pedal. As soon as I got home that day (about 30 minutes later) I turned the truck off again and tried to start it. A little more hesitation than normal, but I didn't have to pump the gas and it started. The next morning...started right up.

Fast forward to this evening. I stop and fill up again. This time I don't top it off. I take the nozzle out after it shuts off. Same thing. It tries and tries, but won't start unless I pump the gas pedal. I don't know what's going on here. I've never seen anything like it. I drove all week and it started right up but for some reason, it doesn't want to start right after filling up. It's not the gas or the gas station because I stopped at two different stations. Any ideas guys???? BTW...I'm using premium gas as I always do.

Matt
Old 01-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Contributing Member

So just to clarify, it WILL start when you push down on the gas pedal? (If it won't start in the first place)

Try putting 1/2 a tank in next time and see if it does the same thing. I am thinking something to do with the EVAP, or possibly the fuel pump. Also, any chance you still fall into the 5/60 powertrain warranty?
Old 01-12-2006, 03:17 PM
Contributing Member

That is correct. It will start if I pump the gas pedal, and will not start if I don't. I bought the truck in March 2001 so I may still be under that warranty. What are you thinking? I don't think it would be the fuel pump because otherwise, it would do it all the time. It has only done it the last two times I filled up and otherwise, starts right up. I left work and had a 1/4 tank and it started right up. It's not the battery because the battery is brand new and not the starter because it's trying to start (no clicking sound) it just won't turn over.

Matt
Old 01-12-2006, 03:28 PM

add a fuel cleaner to the tank and see if that helps. also what fuel are you getting. I gotbad fuel and my wife yukon did that.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:10 PM
Contributing Member

I use SeaFoam pretty religiously, especially in the gas tank, and my last treatment was just a few weeks ago. As far as the gas stations go, it was two different stations and two different brands (BP and Shell). I don't think it's bad gas. Something is up with the truck.

Matt
Old 01-12-2006, 05:27 PM

I'd suspect the fuel pump.

The fuel pump is equipped with a check-valve that keeps the fuel system pressurized even when the engine isn't running. If the check valve fails there is enough pressure in the tank to at least keep the fuel lines primed. When you remove the gas cap that back pressure is lost and the fuel lines begin to empty. You could test this theory by removing the gas cap for several minutes then trying to startup.
If you experience the hard start after just removing the gas cap, then repeat the removal and wait, before trying to start turn the key to on.....and wait a little while before engaging the starter. That will give it a chance to build up pressure.
A fuel pressure leakdown test would be more positive.

Overdriven bass through big Subs. on a bad soundtrack can wreak havoc on delicate parts.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RandyÄ
The fuel pump is equipped with a check-valve that keeps the fuel system pressurized even when the engine isn't running. If the check valve fails there is enough pressure in the tank to at least keep the fuel lines primed. When you remove the gas cap that back pressure is lost and the fuel lines begin to empty. You could test this theory by removing the gas cap for several minutes then trying to startup.
If you experience the hard start after just removing the gas cap, then repeat the removal and wait, before trying to start turn the key to on.....and wait a little while before engaging the starter. That will give it a chance to build up pressure.
A fuel pressure leakdown test would be more positive.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

Alright, I got home tonight after reading this thread at work and did what ya'll recommended. I took the cap off, let it sit for about 10 minutes, and then tried to start it. Right now the truck is 3/4 full. Guess what....started right up. What gives guys? I don't understand this. Any other suggestions?

Matt
Old 01-13-2006, 05:03 PM

have a pressure test on fuel systm. and see what happens. Try replaceing the cap. Do you have a Check eng. lights?
Old 01-13-2006, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

I'll have that test done this weekend at Firestone. As for the check engine light....nope, not at all.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

So the dealer won't check this out under the 5/60 warranty?
Old 01-14-2006, 11:13 AM

yeah, i'd try to see if its under the powertrain. doesn't hurt to try. its under 5 years, so as long as you're under 60k miles, you could see if they'll treat this is as a powertrain issue.