General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Steering pump / Hydro assist issues!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering pump / Hydro assist issues!

G'day folks (or night for those who are readin' this at my timezone!).
I'm not quite sure this thread went into the right section, altho' I think it's the correct one for this kind of questions.

Anyway, on with the problem solving.

I have an '93 TD 4Runner with a steering gear from the '88 Land cruiser 70.
I recently installed a hydro-assist jack, and in the first had no problems with it, save that I felt it too hard to turn the wheel even tho I had the ram, but I believed (at that time) that it was because I didn't increased the flow and pressure on the steering pump.

Soon after the ram was installed I noticed a leak around all the engine room, it was ATF fluid. I thougth my pump seals were givin up on me so I didn't thought 'bout it until I'd get the spare parts. Not so long after that I noticed my ram wasn't working any longer either...
I thought maybe I'd need to enlarge the reservor.

Then I started tearing the pump apart, but noticed that the leakage was from the reservor, or around that area. Replaced all of the hoses in the steering hydro and as well, enlarged the reservor. I increased the flow and the pressure abit too. Checked the steering gear for leakage, and as well checked if the ram was leaking or not. Everything turned to be okay.

Then tonight I started bleedin' the system, but noticed that if I turn right, the ATF fluid starts spillin' out of my reservor, but if I turn left, the level lowers and it's almost empty, thought it would just need more bleedin' but if I start the engine, the same happens, there also seems to be air in the fluid, but as I keep bleedin' the system, the more comes up from the reservor when I turn right!
When I shut the engine off, things go wild and the reservor spills up almost 1/4 of a gallon from the reservor.

Also, the ram is not workin' a single bit.
But there seems to be comin' fluid out of the steering gear to the jack, just not enough pressure. Air in the system I'd presume.

Could it be that I had put the high pressure line in the wrong hole of the steering gear?
Or what I think that's more likely, something is gone bad in the steering gear it self! Like leakin' between vains?
How far inside is it supposed to be drilled in the "D" of TOYDA? Does anyone know? This box was tapped at a professional workshop, but I'm startin' to think they might have messed things up... But that again, wouldn't explain why the ram worked for the first time I tested it!
Or maybe this is a very simple problem that I just can't see the true solution for... Any help is apreciated.

I'm sorry for the bad english and hard-to-understand writeup.. I'm tired and pissed off because of this neverending story of bad-steering!

With best regards.