General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Someone talk me down from this ledge or push me over please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone talk me down from this ledge or push me over please.

I apologize for the long-winded explanation in advance but I could really use advice from some seasoned guys. To start, I will say that my wheeling experience is limited. Being in Chicago my options are mud, or drive really far to find anything remotely challenging. That being said, I seriously consider making week trips to Colorado, Arizona and the like twice a year to do some real wheeling, mountain biking and see some beautiful scenery.

My 2002 4runner currently sits on 33” A/Ts and a Sonoran Steel 1.2 kit. I have a budbuilt skid plate, shackle hangers and a few other odds and ends. I also have parts on order for the tundra brake upgrade, cbi hitch mount rear tire carrier, sliders and a high-lift. Where does that all get me? To the mall, because I have two open differentials.

Of course I have gotten quotes on different locker options. I know I will be regearing to 4:88s no matter what. I am considering gears a must have and can probably have it all done for under $1000 which I could afford to do right now. I also considered installing an E-locker in the rear and either leaving the front open ($1,800 regeared and installed), or installing a truetrac($2,350). Dual ARBs regeared with the compressor could cost around ($2,800).

I know for sure I will be spending money on the gears so that’s at least $1000 of fixed costs. For 1,500 or slightly more I could get a used quad that I can beat the crap out of and not worry about messing up my daily driver or get a better mountain bike.

So my question is, can a fully locked 4runner have any fun off road if it’s a daily driver and cant be broken down for more then a few days? Should I just regear, leave the diffs open, call it a relatively capable vehicle to get my bike or quad to a fun spot? I don’t know if I could have just as much fun on a quad or bike if I should spend the money. I really love the idea of getting fully locked just because I know it would be a total beast off road but again, currently I still need it to get around and what is the point of a beast if I can’t beat on it? I don’t know if going halfway with an elocker is worth it either.

That whole paragraph sounds like I have my mind made up but I really don’t. I want lockers badly. Money is kind of tight but I could get a rear locker and disconnect my front drive shaft till I can afford the front.

Sorry again for the length. Can’t wait to hear from you guys.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:20 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Well heres the deal, just pull your third yourself, itll save you a bit in labor.

I have a buddy that has a lockright in his 4runner and he drives it to and from the trail, the locker never gives him any problems, and he does crazy stuff in that thing..

A rear locker will increase your off road capability by 10 fold, You dont need a front unless your doing crazy stuff.
which I dont think you will be doing.

Buy the gears and a lockright pull your 3rd, have them set up for half the price.

You wont be let down.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I say regear and lock the rear
Old 03-20-2009, 05:42 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
coin flip: heads you drop a ton of cash on the 4runner, tails you buy a quad.

i was in a similar dilemma. I had an '05 Tacoma TRD DC. It wheeled great but was too wide for a lot of trails, I did not body damage to it and got PO'ed etc. Than I bought my '81 to use as a trail truck. because I could not afford to have the '05 Daily driver down for an extended period of time.

there are a ton of folks that DD a capable wheeler that they wheel all over the country. Nice thing about wheeling your truck:
-friends/family can come along
-it is heated, dry, a/c etc
-disadvantage: it is frigging expensive when you rip some teeth of a ring gear. etc etc.
--do you have a way to get to work because truck is fubarred....

Quad: if it breaks, park it in the corner of the garage till you can fix it
-you can do a wide variety of stuff on it.
-disadvantage-it rains=you wet, it is cold=you cold
--can't take a lot of friends with you..

if you decide locker-I would stay away from the e-locker and get the ARB...
Good luck!
Old 03-20-2009, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by nosfanatic2006
I say regear and lock the rear
what are you, a poet?

if the road characteristics of a locker aren't your thing for driving around the windy city, then i suggest a e-locker, used ones are very affordable.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by scuba

Buy the gears and a lockright pull your 3rd, have them set up for half the price.

You wont be let down.
x2 That's a beautiful truck; you've gone this far, might as well go all the way.

Think of it like this, would you rather live with the regret of not getting a quad or the regret of not upgrading your truck? Just a thought....

Last edited by okie81; 03-20-2009 at 05:56 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SKULLYOTA
what are you, a poet?
Only when I don't realize it
Old 03-20-2009, 06:46 AM

I have a similar dilemma however, I've decided against 4.88 because of the cost and I'm going to go with stock 4.56 toyota gears and stock e-locker. I've found several junk yards that will sell me both the front and rear axle in the ballpark of $650.

Later on down the road if I feel that I need to get my front locked as well I think I'll go with a detroit true trac. I hear that if you drive with half a brain you should be fine with one of those as a DD. Good luck with whatever you decide to do
Old 03-20-2009, 07:35 AM

thanks alot guys. i am def going to go selectable in the rear if i lock it. and i will be removing, shipping and reinstalling everything myself.

I love that i got replys to this all through the night and how no one said to leave the difs open! haha

im thinkin i will finish all those other little mods i have planned now. wheel it through the spring and see how i feel then.

all opinions still appreciated. keep em coming. thanks again.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:40 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Lock up the rear. I did with an Aussie and re geared to 4.88's. It made an UNBELIEVABLE difference off road! On the street it is a little quirky but nothing I can't handle.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:38 AM

Define remotely challenging. If you want challenging we can me at the cliffs. There is a little gathering out at the badlands, which is about a two hour drive, the first weekend in May. Not bad. They have a rock quarry there. Or you can stick to web like most of the people on here from the midwest. Im thinking about doing a little run at the cliffs mid april if you are looking for a challenge. Let me know if you are interested.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:04 PM

Having not read the other replies here... i say this....

You are a common case for these parts, you have delusions of grandure and expeditions. Camping in the mountains and exploring ghost towns. Im sure driving from alaska to Chile intrests you...

While theres nothing wrong with that, you have to come to terms with the fact that thats not where you live and if you ever want to wheel you need to reasess your reality.

I was in a similar boat as you about 7 years ago, I had the roof rack and the offroad lights etc... then i decided I actually want to wheel, so I did, and quickly learned that I had it all wrong. I decided I wanted to get serious about wheeling in the Midwest. I decided to use my daily driver, and took some dents and evolved my rig into a rig that can handle 95% of the midwest wheeling, drive to and from the trail, and have all the creature comforts of a modern wagon.

It takes one thing to wheel a DD....balls. Its not for everyone. Whlie my rig has never been trailered and can be driven happily to CA, it is no longer my DD, bc I have too much invested to watch it wear out on I-294 with all the other posers.

BTW, like BAMF said if you want to wheel locally with toyotas, then you need to hook up with us one of these days. We are out all the time, or just come to the Chicago Toyota Jamboree in July.

Some of the most challenging and technical trails in the country are right in our area.

BUT you can not make any kind of decisions until you see what local wheeling is, get off the web and hit the trails.

BTW ATV's are good for one thing, transporting douche bags at a high rate of speed through the air and into trees.

Last edited by 4rnr; 03-29-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:43 PM

i would really like to come out next time you guys are meeting up. plz contact me.