General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Slider Step Idea

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that cad . Is that where you can up load it to a milling machine for those plates a buddy of mine has one and wondering cause I would like to get some plates made
Old 02-28-2008, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless the sliders are built by a computer, don't bother. I think you will find, as I did, that all six inserts will be slightly different.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:07 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by traben27
These are from UY, but I think he's on here (paddlenbike). Here's what his take on the idea was. I think it looks really good.

looks like someone had an extra dell server rack laying around

looks really good tho! i need to repaint my sliders but maybe i;ll do something like this first.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm diggin this thread. Now that I'm closer than even to actually getting sliders (tax refund ) I'd like to do something like this...
Old 02-28-2008, 02:21 PM

Never seen that done yet except for today, it actually looks really good and is a "great idea" Take pics on the final product!
Old 02-28-2008, 02:31 PM

I would go with the 1/8th inch steel slotted design, more wife/child friendly and as far as constructing, I did a motorcycle trailer covered with expanded metal, and let me tell you welding that stuff on sucks. It was just hundreds of little tack welds.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
that is bad ass! Im gonna copy that ok?
Feel free, let us know how it turns out.

do you still want to keep the kick outs? It'll make it wider then if it was angled, plus I've heard sliders with kickouts make it harder to get into the back doors of lifted 4runners.
I really prefer the style of the kickouts. And the only passengers that are ever in the backseat are just my kids. I think the kickout landing will make it easier for them to climb in.

Why bother with a PVC & cardboard mock-up when you've got a CAD-like design? It looks good, just build it.
I really want to see how they will look on the truck, before purchasing and spending time/money on construction. Besides I still have to convince my wife that this is a good idea, showing her the mock-up will help. And the winter months are pretty boring, so it will give me something fun to do.

that cad . Is that where you can up load it to a milling machine for those plates a buddy of mine has one and wondering cause I would like to get some plates made
Unless the sliders are built by a computer, don't bother. I think you will find, as I did, that all six inserts will be slightly different.
paddlenbike is correct. At this point the CAD is just a rough concept. I do not even have the exact measurements for the sliders, I just scaled an internet picture of them. Once I decide to go ahead with this, first I will order the sliders. Then take specific measurements for each opening. Finally, I will design each plate specifically for each opening to ensure proper fit.

I will definitely show the final product when complete, but probably won't be until mid summer though. My first priority is getting the SS 7.2 lift and installing that, which should be in the next month or two.

Thanks again for all the interest and input.