General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Mobil Synthetic - HIgh Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mobil Synthetic - HIgh Mileage

Has anyone used this type of oil before... my truck as over 220,000km or 136,000.

Just curious if this is a good oil to use. Currently im not leaking any oil, but mabye burning a tiny amount.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:51 PM
Contributing Member

Never used the high mileage, but I am a firm believer in Mobil products.
I use 5w30 Syn in my rig.

If it's made by Mobil, odds are that it's a quality product.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:33 AM

is using synthetic on a truck with high mileage a bad thing... will it be too viscous?
Old 05-17-2005, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by hill
Has anyone used this type of oil before... my truck as over 220,000km or 136,000.

Just curious if this is a good oil to use. Currently im not leaking any oil, but mabye burning a tiny amount.

I am running Mobil Truck/SUV sythetic in my 99' Taco TRD with 165k on it. I "flushed" it using Auto-Rx and switched to synthethic. I willl be switching to Amsoil next change as I now am a distributor.
Sythetic is the ONLY way to go.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Give it a try. I switched my 4Runner to Mobil 1 at about 180,000 km, and I now have 220,000 km. I think the oil consumption actually went down after switching. I didn't have any leaks and still don't, it just burns a little, probably through the valve seals.

Last edited by eric-the-red; 05-17-2005 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:07 AM

how can i tell if switching to this oil was the right choice?
Old 05-17-2005, 11:50 AM

how can i tell if switching to this oil was the right choice?
the way I see it, oil isn't really a mod in which you get instant feedback. You are somewhat at the mercy of heresey and believe must it is actually working as advertised. However, after my auto-rx treatment and switch to syn, my Taco runs MUCH smoother and starts easier. I also change it every 10k miles. When I switch to Amsoil, I'll change it every 25k or 1 year, whichever is first.

Some have noted increase in MPG, loss of "engine ticking" among their remedies.
I will never run dino oil again.

If you are going to make the switch to syn, I reccomend running Auto-Rx through it. It removes sludge and gently cleans the engine. Do a search for more info.

Old 05-22-2005, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

I just switched and I think it runs smoother....might be in my head though. heheh

I've gotten 200k+ miles on engines with dino oil. So I doubt I'll see better results in that case.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:11 AM
Contributing Member

One thing I'm curious about... when you use Amsoil and wait til 25K to replace the oil, are you changing the filter out more often than that? I mean, do you wait 25K to also change the filter or are you doing that every 5K? It seems like you'd still need to replace the filter from time to time with that long of a change interval. I've read through all the Amsoil/Synthetic/Oil Change Interval threads and perhaps missed that detail.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:15 AM

What if i dont use AUTO RX when i switch to synthetic oil?
Old 05-28-2005, 09:03 PM

i use mobil 1 high mileage...i like it. it's a synthetic blend, not a pure synthetic, so switching to it is less likely to cause problems than switching to regular mobil 1 or amsoil. but, you still get the benefits of synthetic.

i did not use any auto rx when i switched about 20k miles ago...haven't had any problems.

the mobile 1 itself cleans better than regular dino juice, so you might notice that it gets black pretty quickly for the first few times you use it. maybe with auto rx, you wouldn't have that...i dunno anything about auto rx, but you don't want to use anything that cleans gunk too quickly.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:09 AM
Contributing Member

What if i dont use AUTO RX when i switch to synthetic oil?
I wouldnt worry about it. There was someone that did the flush on this forum and had major engine damage.

Besides Mobil 1 is compatible with dino oil (I imagine most syns are). So after the 2 or 3 change the Mobil 1 will have washed out any dino oil. Mobil 1 has a lot of detergents and cleaning properties so it will clean the gunk out.

I had a Jeep Wrangler with a leaking oil pan gasket. I had 200k miles on it and only used dino oil. There was NO build up or gunk of any kind. I changed the oil every 3000 miles. So I think with proper maintance there wont be that much build up to begin with...
Old 05-30-2005, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Honger
One thing I'm curious about... when you use Amsoil and wait til 25K to replace the oil, are you changing the filter out more often than that? I mean, do you wait 25K to also change the filter or are you doing that every 5K? It seems like you'd still need to replace the filter from time to time with that long of a change interval. I've read through all the Amsoil/Synthetic/Oil Change Interval threads and perhaps missed that detail.
Thats correct Honger, I change my Amsoil filter every 10k. Depending on what a UOA says, I might leave it on there up to 12,500. I have alot of info on amsoil products if you are interested. Let me know.

Jake
Old 11-24-2005, 10:30 AM

Synthetic Oils increase in HP!

I just saw this TV show called "HorsePower TV" on Spike Channal. They used an older Mustang for this test after running it on a Dyno to come up with Base Hp. The car posted 302Hp after switching to Synthetic Oil (Royal Purple is what they used) They made another run on on the Dyno and came up with 310HP 8HP gain from reg dino to Syn. Their concluesion is that Syn's use less friction, now they switch all: Engine, Transmission, and rear end. I have a 94 Toyota 4x4 PU w/103000 and have used Kendall or Castrol oil since new with no problems runs great, but about a 2 years ago I had trouble with my 5sp Trans it kept poping out of 3 gear, I drain the oil and switch to NEO syn and it just like I having a new 5sp. Since then I switch all Diffs and Trans case to Syn and it does run smoother. I have been a little leary of changing the Engine oil over to Syn, but since reading these forums I'll give it a try. Thanks to everybody for input it make for it easy for this Old Dog to change his mind.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:14 AM

Gotta love spike TV
Old 11-27-2005, 12:59 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
You guys should check out bypass filters, if you don't already know about them. They are the sh@t whether you use dino or synth. For me the synth is the way to go in the crank and gears and joints. Even my chainsaw. But, the bypass is the icing on the cake. Synth lasts even longer with. Check out bobistheoilguy.com if you havn't seen it. Frantz bypass units are what I use. AutoRx is the sh@t too! Cleans better than synth alone.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by thook
You guys should check out bypass filters, if you don't already know about them. They are the sh@t whether you use dino or synth. For me the synth is the way to go in the crank and gears and joints. Even my chainsaw. But, the bypass is the icing on the cake. Synth lasts even longer with. Check out bobistheoilguy.com if you havn't seen it. Frantz bypass units are what I use. AutoRx is the sh@t too! Cleans better than synth alone.
Well, pardon me. Looks as though I've been telling Noah 'bout the flood. I just read the oil thread. Still check out the site if you haven't already. And AutoRX rocks!!
Old 11-27-2005, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by krasher
the way I see it, oil isn't really a mod in which you get instant feedback. You are somewhat at the mercy of heresey and believe must it is actually working as advertised. However, after my auto-rx treatment and switch to syn, my Taco runs MUCH smoother and starts easier. I also change it every 10k miles. When I switch to Amsoil, I'll change it every 25k or 1 year, whichever is first.

Some have noted increase in MPG, loss of "engine ticking" among their remedies.
I will never run dino oil again.

If you are going to make the switch to syn, I reccomend running Auto-Rx through it. It removes sludge and gently cleans the engine. Do a search for more info.

I wouldn't do that unless you are planning on a by-pass oil filter setup. Regular Amsoil synthetic craps out at around 12,000 miles with one filter change in between and you really need a by-pass filter if you wanna hit 25k at all.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:17 PM

By Jove! He's right on that one. I can attest to that! This is the reason I installed a bypass on both of my vehicles. The advertising is misleading, which is the biggest gripe a number of people on other I've been have with Amsoil. Even had an Amsoil dealer verify the info. He wanted to sell me an Amsoil bypass. I found a Frantz dealer in Texas that set me up with some used but in perfectly good condition bypasses for much less. There still even cheaper than Amsoil when new. Not to mention the refill elements for Frantz are much cheaper. I'd like to mention they are a cinch to install.

Last edited by thook; 11-27-2005 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:14 PM

here's a good recent post about M1's extended oil: http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=66983