General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

help with tranny

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 07:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
help with tranny

we had to replace the front seal on the tranny,After replacing it we can get the bell housing and the motor to line up and come together but, when i turn the crank to line up the flywheel bolts to the converter i cant turn it. When i loosen the bell housing bolts the tourque converter and the fly wheel both turn together any help would be appreciated thank you
Old 03-15-2007, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the torque converter fully seated in the transmission pump housing?

It will drop in where you have it now, but with some wiggling, farting around, it should go further in around 3/8" to 1/2".

Last edited by Ringmaster; 03-15-2007 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tampabayota
we had to replace the front seal on the tranny,After replacing it we can get the bell housing and the motor to line up and come together but, when i turn the crank to line up the flywheel bolts to the converter i cant turn it. When i loosen the bell housing bolts the tourque converter and the fly wheel both turn together any help would be appreciated thank you
It sounds like you don't have the converter fully seated in the front punp housing. You should have some freeplay between the flywheel/flexplate and the converter if it is installed correctly. If not, then you need to remove the trans, and try seating the converter again. What always worked for me, was to lift on the center hub of the converter and gently push in while spining the converter with the other hand. Use a rag or gloves to protect your hand from possible cuts from burs on the hub. When you think you have it all the way in, measure the distance between a straight edge, spaning the bellhousing from one side to the other, and the bolt surface on the front of the converter. Then measure the distance from the back side of the flexplate, where the converter mounts, to the surface on the engine that the bellhousing mates to. If the converter is installed correctly, there should be a difference in the two measurements of about an 1/8 to 1/4 inch. If the distance between the converter and the trans bellhousing is greater that the other distance, you still don't have the converter seated all the way in, and will have to try installing it again until the proper clearance is there.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea when we put in the motor every thing went in great! Now im having problems. I did seat the converter all the way but it must of moved forward when we slide it in place . Ill pull it again on saturday thanks.