General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

engine preluber build ideas

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 07:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
engine preluber build ideas

ok so i want to build a preluber for my 95 pickup 22re so i can enjoy many more years of slow take offs from lights and near v8 gas mileage

anyway i am decideing between a electric sump type which would be way more preferable imo or the less favorable but simpler vaccuum can with oil

my idea for the electric version is a multi purpose electric pump hooked up to a 555timer to the ign for roughly 10-15 seconds questions on this setup where should i tap into for the in line for the pump and where should i tap into for the out

the less favorable vaccuum system take old fire extinguisher tap for all fittings add a check valve and a solinoid hooked up to the ign same question as above for electric system

now i know the vaccuum is simpler but i like messing with electronics and such and even though i posted the other idea i am likely not to use it anyway just posting more for people who want to do it just in case

thanks for any help or sugestions and if/when i do it i wll do a write up for you guys if you want me too
Old 07-18-2012, 11:50 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

how will you remove the extra oil and get it back into your remote tank??

How many figures is your R&D budget??

While I give you a gold star for thinking and I would love to be proved wrong .

Since the lubrication system is set up for a rotating assembly introducing oil into the stationary engine will do little more than what a good oil does now.

If you are one that does no engine service why bother.

If this was a workable idea do you not think Cat Cummins and Detroit would not have such a system When a in Frame costs around $12,000.00 or so.

Good luck in any case I would love to be proved WRONG
Old 07-19-2012, 02:52 PM

how will you remove the extra oil and get it back into your remote tank??-what if my remote tank is my oil pan

How many figures is your R&D budget?? -however many i please i am a teen and the only bills i have to pay are insurance and gas

While I give you a gold star for thinking and I would love to be proved wrong .

Since the lubrication system is set up for a rotating assembly introducing oil into the stationary engine will do little more than what a good oil does now. -ok but say all the oilleaks out while the engine sits while the oil pump is tying to siphon oil to get to those precious bearings there oil you have successfully rotated your engine at a factory 750 rpm with the 3 seconds it took for your oil pressure light to turn off 37.5 times with no oil
i have scratched a bearing with my finger nail what do you think metal on metal will do 37 times everytime you start your engine

If you are one that does no engine service why bother. -i do all my engine service no matter what it is and if i dont know how to do it i can get help and it would be a learning experience and if you didnt notice take a real close look at my avatar pic notice that fact that that truck has the 2wd park lights and fenders all the way around and then look at the profile pic to see the before i still need to bolt up my r150f tranny and tcase but all in good time

If this was a workable idea do you not think Cat Cummins and Detroit would not have such a system When a in Frame costs around $12,000.00 or so. -ok i see your point of view on this one but why would a company purposely put themselves out of buisess because if a compay did this their motors would last much longer and with motors lasting longer people would be buying less and less parts
what do you think cash for clunkers program was it was automotive companies trying to offer a reward for you to buy a new car meanwhile the auto companies are seizing the motors and crushing the cars making it harder and more expensive to find/get parts for older cars in turn you go for it because you cant find parts for your old car and destroy fixable car cause you dont want to deal with the hassle

Good luck in any case I would love to be proved WRONG
Old 07-19-2012, 02:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
There is a difference between a good idea in theory and a good idea in reality. This sounds good in theory, but there is really no need to reinvent the wheel here.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:14 PM

not reinventing it just improving it it has rough edges and is a little out of balance but when im done it will be a little more round and balanced

Last edited by Dreidel; 07-19-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:03 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

If you can make this work get your self a good patent attorney to search if this idea is workable as you say.

It has all ready been done and you will find yourself in court for patent infringement.

I wish you well.

We will be waiting on updates.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:20 PM

wyoming. your really against this idea eh? He didn't say he was going to patent it, he said he wanted to make it. Pressurizing the oiling system is going to float the crank and cam regardless of weather they're rotating or not, which will put more oil into the system for startup and reduce wear. At my bodyshop, I've started some vehicles that clack and tap and grind for a good 10 seconds before they get any oil pressure and smooth out. I don't care what kind of oil you use, thats not good for your engine. Yes, engine oil is designed to stay where it needs to be and reduce start up wear, but if your telling me that having more oil surrounding important engine parts for start up is a waste of time, your off your rocker.

I'm sure he knows its already been done, but why spend a bunch of money when you can do it yourself! Even if it doesn't work like planned, I bet he/we will learn lots. I've lightly considered the same thing for my truck, didn't get any farther than just ideas. I figure it would help extend my turbos life.

I considered just getting a simple electric pump mounted to the engine block, one hose to the oil pan, one to an oil passage access on the side of the block. My theory is that the anti drain back valve in the filter will hold oil from just flowing back to the pan when your pump is engaged. Just flick the in cab switch before start up, long enough for oil to get to all the parts, (doesn't need lots of pressure, just so fresh oil is there) and fire it up. Obviously a rough plan, but an idea to possibly work off.

Last edited by nothingbetter; 07-19-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:16 AM

I understand about pre lubers, why you use them, etc but today that is old school (I am old). They were originally used in the day of early race cars and some street cars but with today's lube oil technology they are obselete. Lube oils like Mobil 1, Royal Purple and others plus the oil filters such as System 1 make it possible to extend the life of engines way beyond what engines were capable of achieving even with pre lubers back in the day. (again I am old). But as they say different strokes for different folks ( Gosh that is an old saying too).
Old 07-20-2012, 03:44 PM

my truck knocks when i start it and if old school is what it takes to make it last longer then why not
i just turn 17 and make minimum wage (7.25) i said i would devote however much money i please to the project im not made of money patents are expensive and lawyers are more expensive if i was planning on patenting something i probably wouldnt be posting on here with how im doing it and asking opinions
just saying
Old 07-20-2012, 05:26 PM

Have you tried Mobil 1? Synthetic oils leave a film on the parts they lubricate thus protecting the part even when the engine sits idle for an extended period of time, You can also add an enhancer additive such as B&G or Molycoat. I think if you try this you will eliminate or reduce the engine knock on startup. My truck sits for long periods of time especially over the winter and when I start it there is no knock, rattle, etc. Just trying to help, I was 17 once and know about working for minimum wage (OH S**t that was 50 years ago).
Old 07-20-2012, 06:06 PM

lol too bad minimum was lower back then(no offense) but stuff didnt cost as much