General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

engine cuts out

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 01:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
engine cuts out

hey everyone,

my truck will run perfect for a week or 2 then i will just be crusin down the road nice and happy and the engine cuts out, it almost feels like its not getting fuel or possibly air or maybe that it suddenly stopped getting spark or something along those lines. when it starts to cut out all i can do is pull over and let it die, the second i push in the clutch it shuts off. then it starts right up and will either run for a minute or 2 or it will immediatley die when i start to let out the clutch. it took 20 mins for a 5 min drive to school this morning and i started it up to go to lunch and it has run great since. i cant figure it out. any ideas at all will be a big help i cant get to work or school on time and its getting a lot worse. i love my truck so much and this makes me want to cry :cry2

sorry if this has been talked about before, i couldnt find anything.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After it dies and you restart it, with it still in neutral can you rev it up? Is it smooth or rough?

The clutch aspect is interesting though..

When was the last time you changed your plug wires? Could be that they are arcing or not conducting very well. The hotter temps under the hood after it has been running a while might be causing them to further fail resulting in a major loss of power that would kill the motor when it was under load...

Or maybe something is getting sucked onto the fuel pump sock, when you shut it down it falls off...

Check the plug wires. Even if they are new you might want to swap a pair. I have had spark plug wires that were bad out of the box.

Last edited by Turbo4Runner; 11-01-2007 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the same thing happened to me last night I had just got gas and was driving home was coasting down a hill to a stop sign and the oil light came on and I noticed the truck had died.

tried to crank it over and nothing sprayed a little starter fluid and nothing I pushed it into a parking lot thinking my coil or dist had gone out

pulled the main wire put a screwdriver in it and cranked it over and there was a spark the pulled a plug to see if it would spark and it did so then I was really confused to why it was doing this before all of that I pulled and checked every fuse and then checked my fuel filter. NOTHING
I was getting very mad at that point of why the hell it won't start so I thought before I run the battery out I will try starter fluid one more time,

I sprayed a little more then usual and it started up and I still have no clue to what is going on but I am going to replace the filter to be on the safe side my tank was really low when I got gas and I think there might be sediment in the tank that clogged it up for a second.

I would try the filter on yours truck as well
Old 11-03-2007, 05:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the idling problem was caused by a blown fuse for who know what, the lid for the fuse box that says what stuff is for is gone. the cutting out was caused by a old fuel filter that had been submerged in mud, scar. got it all taken care of though im really happy!