General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

DIY rear bumper for pickup / truck (hilux, tacoma, etc) - post your pics!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY rear bumper for pickup / truck (hilux, tacoma, etc) - post your pics!

i'm looking to create an archive post for DIY rear bumpers for trucks (hilux, tacoma, etc.). i know there's a bunch of separate threads on bumper threads for all sorts of rigs (tons for 4runners, etc.) but the idea is to keep this pickup-and DIY-specific.

to clarify: nothing against 4runners or any other rigs, just looking to accumulate ideas/knowledge on bumpers designed to deal with the limits / benefits / etc. of pickup beds.

here's what i've found so far, i will add more links as things appear:

scuba's tacoma bumper

xxtreme22r's weldless bumper

another wrap-around from toyota1

a tube rear from jordanyota91

4037's epic build

not a build thread but has a couple good pics at the bottom

ardent's rear bumper build

an interesting taco bumper towards the bottom

mikeys87's build off thread (some 4runner stuff but also a pickup or two)

Last edited by alfio; 01-22-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:51 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
there are a lot of topics that need to be consolidated into one thread, but it just doesn't work unless ONE person does it to week out the riffraff. just search for them, it'll be much easier and faster. most of them are in "the fab shop". heck, even google images will toss you more than a couple.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:54 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by highonpottery
there are a lot of topics that need to be consolidated into one thread, but it just doesn't work unless ONE person does it to week out the riffraff. just search for them, it'll be much easier and faster. most of them are in "the fab shop". heck, even google images will toss you more than a couple.
That's probably why the mods deleted the last thread.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
yes, i know what you mean. i am reading and sorting but it is pretty daunting because people typically don't specify that whatever they are building is pickup specific. i will post more links as i find my notes on bumper builds.

for some reason taco owners are better than hilux owners at clarifying their thread titles... maybe its because US pickup owners don't have an official model? i nominate the US hilux as the 7th greatest bastard (see here) though i guess technically the US pickup model got a last name but never got a first... anyhow, my point is we need more pickup specific stuff because hiluxes, tacomas, etc. are not 4runners, cruisers, or whatever.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
That's probably why the mods deleted the last thread.
i don't know why the last thread was deleted but i am guessing it was because it was in the Fab forum (which i now recognize was not the best approach on my part).

i hope the mods will see fit to leave this one be since i really aim to collect other relevant threads here so that other pickup owners don't have to read and sort through the many other mixed threads out there.

edit: for the record, there aren't that many pickup specific threads on DIY rear bumpers which is why i started this thread.

Last edited by alfio; 01-21-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:35 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
so as a Mod my suggestion to you is to add the links to your first post, just use the edit tab and add your links so that they are not put in the thread in random places.

I am at work right now so I don't have time to find the other threads but I am pretty sure there are multiple threads covering this subject...
Old 01-22-2011, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
so as a Mod my suggestion to you is to add the links to your first post, just use the edit tab and add your links so that they are not put in the thread in random places.

I am at work right now so I don't have time to find the other threads but I am pretty sure there are multiple threads covering this subject...
ok, you are right, will do.

and yes, there are multiple threads on this and that bumper but none that i could find that bring different builds together and none for pickup bumpers exclusively.

Last edited by alfio; 01-22-2011 at 05:38 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This isn't really a DIY, but I did quite a bit of custom work on it:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...another-99695/