Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

what kinds of shocks and lift kits would work best for 3rd gen Runner

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Runner_Girl_CO
Thanks everyone for your input its helped me on my search...now just to figure how much to install it.....
I would highly recommend taking up anyone offering to help install things on your truck with you. It's fun to learn how it works and goes on and whatnot, plus there is a good feeling of accomplishment that goes along with installing things yourself. (seems like you have that sense of accomplishment when you built your sliders, great job BTW.)

Also, figure out what you want to do with that sweet runner of yours, i.e., what size tires are you going for, etc... For me, my goal was to have a mildly lifted, armored, locked in the rear truck that I would mainly use for camping and exploring that would also be built enough to do most trails in Moab. I was torn between tires, 255/85r16 and 33x10.50r15. I got a good deal on some black rockcrawler 15" rims and the 33x10.50s were alot cheaper, so I went that route, but that tire dilema had alot to do with what lift I bought.

I didn't have anyone to help me with my truck so, it was... uh, an interesting (and frustrating)learning experience for me. But now I feel like I could do it with my eyes closed. When I was shopping to lift my tacoma I searched for a long time, and money played a big role so I ended up getting my stuff from wheelersoffroad.com, they were having a sale at the time and I got:
~Old Man Emu 881 coils (only about 1.25" of lift, I wanted to keep my CV axles/boots very happy)

~BIL 5100 adjustable struts (stock setting, but I can lift it if the OME881s sag.)

~Deaver 3 Leaf AAL.

~BIL 5100 shocks in the back.

I also got a 1" body lift for a couple reasons, IMO, the pros outweighed the cons. I wouldn't recommend anything more than 1" though.

I know runners are different than tacomas, but hopefully you can use some of my insights.

Originally Posted by 4Runner_Girl_CO
Molly...you would have to buy, i could get you the money...I am NOT 21 yet...why does everyone think that I am 21...I had 3-4 of the guys offer me a beer yesterday lol...and 2 offered to buy me one...lol
Guys will do that.

I don't drink, so I may be wrong here, but I bet those guys saw that sweet 4runner of yours and wanted to get you drunk so they could take it for a joyride.

Last edited by juicebox; 09-21-2009 at 01:43 AM.