Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Rig won't start, jumper cables hot...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rig won't start, jumper cables hot...

Got off work and realized I left my parking lights on, tried to start the truck and it wouldn't even turn over, however I was able to see some very dim dash lights. Had a buddy come jump me, after a few minutes connected I tried to start and got the "click-click-click" of the solenoid I believe yet it didn't work, tried again a few minutes later and now I can't even see the dash lights come on or anything. Fuses are all good, however the jumper cables were VERY warm when we disconnected them... What could be wrong? Bad ground somewhere? Bad starter solenoid?
Old 12-07-2012, 03:30 AM

the problem is that your cables cant carry enough current to run he starter. your going to want at least 4, and to be safe 2 gauge(about 1/4 inch) cables.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:33 AM

So you think my battery is just plain dead and all it needs is a good charge?
Old 12-07-2012, 10:25 AM

Take the battery out and try to charge it fully, then put it back in and see if it starts. If it doesn't take the battery to a auto parts store and they will be able to test it for you and let you know if the battery is the problem or not.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:04 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yep, your battery cables suck...need to get bigger ones...guage wise. Get some heavy duty truck ones and that puppy will allow enough current to fire that baby up.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:27 AM

fair enough, the plan right now is to take the battery to get er tested and see what comes from that. Looks like the batt is about 5 years old anyway so I might just spoil her and get her a new one for the holidays
Old 12-10-2012, 06:14 AM

5 years is a pretty good service life for a car battery. replacing it is a wise decision
Old 12-10-2012, 08:52 AM

Update: It wasn't just the battery come to find out. Went and replaced the battery, gave it a crank, nothing, then some nice white smoke that was insulation burning off the cables... That stopped rather quickly but about 10 minutes later as I was moving the positive and negative battery cables with my hand down where they are routed close to the frame, I started getting serious smoke. After about 3 minutes of frenzy of pulling the battery and thinking I was about to blow up my truck I found that both my positive and negative cables from my battery were COMPLETELY burned up. I mean no insulation left on the cables whatsoever... What could've caused this? Im guessing I was shorting out somewhere... The plan is to replace the two cables today and go from there, thinking that maybe they just completed the circuit on each other and friend my cables, any advice?
Old 12-10-2012, 10:08 AM

your battery cables could have been rotted out with corrosion, which means high resistance as the electricity tried to pass through them. resistance=heat=smoke=cables are burned up. but a short sounds more like it, since both positive and negative were burned up

edit: also make sure all your ground wires are good and the connections are clean.

Last edited by maachine; 12-10-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:51 AM

Just changed out the two battery cables and now i have dash lights, headlights, taillights, stereo, the works (Which is a big relief). So I'm thinking my main problem was rotted cables, however, now when I try to turn the key I'm getting what sounds like an electrical pop coming from where my starter is. I'm thinking this is the next culprit, may have been the OEM starter for all i know. Pulled it today, I'll be going to get a new or remanned one tomorrow. Right step in the process? Or should I have looked other places? My ground cables seem to be fine and working correctly with clean connections....
Old 12-11-2012, 04:11 PM

Took my old started to Auto-Zone today, ended up failing all 3 tests on their machine. Got a re-manufactured starter from them and before I bought it had them test it for me (I've heard some come bad from the factory), bolted it up in my truck and WHAM! She started right up first turn! Also went ahead and threw some extra cable insulation on my positive and negative battery cables from the battery to the starter and block to help prevent against anything like this happening again... I just want to thank everyone for their help in this thread and can't wait to return the favor!

-FindingFive (Dain M.)