Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Rebuilding engine, what the heck are these???

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuilding engine, what the heck are these???

Ok guys, I am a newbie when it comes to toyotas. What I am really new to is the 22r engine. I currently have one disassembled with new parts on the way. However, I have encountered a problem along the way. While pulling the crankshaft from the engine, there were two small metal parts which fell out, which I was simply not sure where they came from or where they are supposed to be put back:

here's a pic of part of my teardown:

Any ideas where these two pieces go?

-Nick
Old 09-25-2008, 11:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
They are thrust bearings ! I would recommend purchasing a FSM to continue the rebuild cause your gonna need torque specs and install notes for the heads ad the rest of the rebuild!
Old 09-25-2008, 11:14 PM

Weclome BTW

Good luck! After your done rebuilding the motor it should last well over another 200K
Old 09-25-2008, 11:21 PM

Also

Be sure to clean the piston ring groves and dont loose track of what connecting rods caps went to what location. Install the crank and be careful when installing the pistons and connecting rods. damage to the the new bearings and precision machined parts can happen but can easily be avoided by taking your time! (via connecting rod studs when installing the pistons can hit the precision surfaces) Dont let this happen!
Be sure to also lube them up well before installation!

A good FSM will worn you about such things and help you with the entire rebuild!
Old 09-26-2008, 01:55 PM

I saw a trick at work that might help you put the con rods in. Put a length of rubber hose over the con rod studs, then lower them into the bores.

A good thing to have on hard for engine dissambly is a set of numeric punches, and even a couple of arrow symbols.
This aids in making sure everything goes back together the same way as it came apart. You can label the rods and rod caps and have an arrow point forward, this makes reference easy when you put it back together. Any marker will wear off after you clean up your parts, so engraving is really the only way IMO.

good luck to ya.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:46 PM

Thanks for the advice so far. Just so you guys know, I am working with the factory service manual and I have everything laid out in order from when it came out of the engine. Everything will go back in 100% the same way it came out (only with new seals, rings, bearings, etc.). Originally I was just going to replace the head gasket on this truck because it was overheating like crazy. There was more and more coolant leaking into the cylinders everyday and the truck would overheat constantly (from exhaust getting pushed into the cooling system). I've checked the head and the block for warpage and cracking and so far everything looks good. But I still have one question: where do the "thrust bearings" go? It looks like they go around the crankshaft somehow, but I am not sure where? When I pulled the crank from the bottom of the engine, these thrust bearings just kind of fell to the floor.

I have also been using the trick of placing rubber tubing on the ends of the piston rod and it worked like a charm. I also have a torque wrench, however, it is a $20 harbor freight wrench. Have have used this harbor freight wrench many many times with no problems so far, but never to assemble an entire engine. Should I trust it? Thanks so far guys!
Old 09-26-2008, 04:25 PM

I also have a torque wrench, however, it is a $20 harbor freight wrench. Have have used this harbor freight wrench many many times with no problems so far, but never to assemble an entire engine. Should I trust it? Thanks so far guys!

if u have doubts then go get it tested for accuracy......i personally could never give a crap whether somethin is 2 dollars or 200 long as it is workin right..good luck!
Old 09-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tiohero
Ok guys, I am a newbie when it comes to toyotas. What I am really new to is the 22r engine. I currently have one disassembled with new parts on the way. However, I have encountered a problem along the way. While pulling the crankshaft from the engine, there were two small metal parts which fell out, which I was simply not sure where they came from or where they are supposed to be put back:

CRANKSHAFT SHIMS FOR ADJUSTING CRANK END PLAY

ON THE CENTER MAIN BEARING CAP OF CRANKSHAFT
-Nick

CRANKSHAFT SHIMS FOR ADJUSTING CRANK END PLAY

ON THE CENTER MAIN BEARING CAP OF CRANKSHAFT IT IS THE ONLY ONE WITH THE GROOVES IN IT AND ONE SHIM GO'S ON BOTH SIDES TO ALLOW FOR ADJUSTING THE END PLAY OF THE CRANKSHAFT.

NOTE ***THERE IS ONLY THE CENTER CAP WITH THE GROOVES***

Last edited by olharleyman; 09-26-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tiohero
Thanks for the advice so far. Just so you guys know, I am working with the factory service manual and I have everything laid out in order from when it came out of the engine. Everything will go back in 100% the same way it came out (only with new seals, rings, bearings, etc.). Originally I was just going to replace the head gasket on this truck because it was overheating like crazy. There was more and more coolant leaking into the cylinders everyday and the truck would overheat constantly (from exhaust getting pushed into the cooling system). I've checked the head and the block for warpage and cracking and so far everything looks good. But I still have one question: where do the "thrust bearings" go? It looks like they go around the crankshaft somehow, but I am not sure where? When I pulled the crank from the bottom of the engine, these thrust bearings just kind of fell to the floor.

I have also been using the trick of placing rubber tubing on the ends of the piston rod and it worked like a charm. I also have a torque wrench, however, it is a $20 harbor freight wrench. Have have used this harbor freight wrench many many times with no problems so far, but never to assemble an entire engine. Should I trust it? Thanks so far guys!
DID YOU REMEMEBER TO MARK THE PISTON'S AND ROD CAPS FROM WHICH CYLINDERS THEY CAME OUT FROM? aLSO DID YOU REMEMBER THE WAY THE ENGINE WAS SITTING WHEN YOU PULLED THESE OUT?I.E. UPSIDE DOWN OR THE WAY IT CAME OUT OF THE TRUCK? DID YOU MARK THE UPPER CAP AND LOWER CAP IN THE EXACT POSITION THEY WERE PULLED FROM ON EACH CYLINDER? THEY WILL GO BOTH WAYS BUT IF REINSTALLED THE WRONG WAY IT WILL LEAD TO CATASTROFIC FAILURE. LOOK AT BOTH SIDE OF THE CAP AND ROD FOR THE HUMP NOTCHS AND LINE THEM UP ON THE SAME SIDE ABOVE AND BELOW EACH OTHER. EXAMPLE ( ): NOT ).

Last edited by olharleyman; 09-26-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:18 AM

Thanks again for the info! And don't worry everyone, everything is laid out exactly how it came out of the engine. Like I say, it will all go back in 100% the same way. I have to say, I am pretty confident with doing this engine re-build. However, I wish that I had the same confidence with the transmission. I would love to tear that apart as well and replace a couple of the syncros. Oh well, I may leave that for another day.