Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Random Question about stock radios

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Random Question about stock radios

My 93 truck doesn't have a cd player, only a tape player . But my 94 4runner has a tape and cd player. I looked up in TIS and my tape player is a one wire radio and the cd player is a 2 wire setup. Does anyone know if the extra wire sitting behind the dash??
Old 11-01-2010, 11:06 AM

I dont have that truck so I have no idea whats behind the dash, but it shouldnt be too hard to just wire it up yourself if not.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
its to power the factory amps for the rear speakers works like the power antenna wire its blue too i think. if you put a new stereo in the runner youll need to run that wire to acc+ or if you wire it to the antenna wire the rears will only work with the radio on
Old 11-01-2010, 12:08 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
When i bought my 93 truck, the PO installed a CD player from a Camry onto the stock AM/FM/Cass deck, making it one of those double tall factory stereo setups. Not sure if that's what you're asking, but the CD player swapped in just fine with a plug onto the back of the unit.

If you're asking about speaker wiring, then that's a bit different - since it's a truck, my cab only came with the 2, 4" speakers in the dash - so there is no wiring for the rear speakers on the factory stereo wiring harness. I ended up ditching the crappy Toyota stereo first chance i got and had an Xplod unit installed - I had to run new wires to the additional door speakers that I added.

No matter what you do, stereo wiring is pretty simple and you should have no problem installing a basic setup yourself. Where things get confusing is when you start adding in accessories like power antennas, amplifiers, etc. Hope that helps.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:17 PM

Most places you can even get a wiring kit to hookup to the new aftermarket stereo so there is no worries about cutting the factory truck wiring. Scorche is popular brand up here in Canada for that.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by blake.nemitz
its to power the factory amps for the rear speakers works like the power antenna wire its blue too i think. if you put a new stereo in the runner youll need to run that wire to acc+ or if you wire it to the antenna wire the rears will only work with the radio on

Not sure why you would wire the power to the antenna...what if you are listening to cd's. You should wire the power to acc+ so it all turns on when you set the key to acc. this whole description of the cd player and tape player is confusing me...it should be relatively simple though.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:15 PM

So basically the extra wire in the back of the cd player in the 4runner radio is the rear speakers i'm guess from what i've read. and it'll work. their both stock radios. i'm still debating holding off and waiting and putting a aftermarket and cb in.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:31 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
depends on where this said wire comes from. if it's one single wire, it is definitely NOT for rear speakers and is most likely the accessory wire. wiring for rear speakers would be an additional 4 wires for 2 rear speakers.

if it were me, i wouldn't even bother with the crap 16yr old stereo and would just go pick up a new one. even a new $50 stereo could be superior to the factory Toyota one - and it might even have AUX input...
Old 11-01-2010, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally I'd wait and put an aftermarket unit in. Most newer aftermarket head units can push a lot more power and have much better sound quality than older OEM head units. I got my Sony Xplod from best buy for about 70 bucks on clearance. You can also find some good deals online too.
I also know my 4Runner had a factory amp that worked for the front speakers - and the rear speakers had their own amps. If you use an aftermarket head unit - ditch the factory amp. Just my $.02
Old 11-01-2010, 02:07 PM

Definitely go aftermarket. Just check craigslist theres tons of em on there for dirt cheap. and i agree with highonpottery...speakers require more than just 1 wire its not like pos and neg are combined into a single wire lol
Old 11-01-2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cam72SS
Definitely go aftermarket. Just check craigslist theres tons of em on there for dirt cheap. and i agree with highonpottery...speakers require more than just 1 wire its not like pos and neg are combined into a single wire lol
Thats not entirely true. I have seen some vehicles that immediately ground the negative speaker wire to the body, therefore only he positive wire is run. Cuts down on material costs. Its the same as running power to an amp, you run just the power cable from the battery and ground to the body. Im not saying the sound quality will be amazing, just that i have seen it done.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tehaids
Thats not entirely true. I have seen some vehicles that immediately ground the negative speaker wire to the body, therefore only he positive wire is run. Cuts down on material costs. Its the same as running power to an amp, you run just the power cable from the battery and ground to the body. Im not saying the sound quality will be amazing, just that i have seen it done.
Yeah I see what you mean i just doubt that toyota did that from stock. And even if they did do that, there would still be 2 positives coming out, and he would see the grounded wires, so that wouldnt make sense. which leads me to believe the fact that it is the acc wire lol by the way, speakers do require at least 2 wires and the pos and neg cannot be combined into 1, so technically that is entirely true.