Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

POR-15 Painting Frame

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
POR-15 Painting Frame

Hello Yotatech!
First thread, although I have been on the forums for quite some time just reading and answering my own questions from reading other threads. But now, I am stumped. I bought my first vehicle, a 1992 Toyota EXT 5 spd 3.0 Pick up with a 4" rough country susp lift from my best friend, needed a clutch, frame work and just some TLC. 117k on the clock, not bad for 400$. I have had the clutch replaced now, fixed some things on my own, body work, headlights. Misc things like that. Now heres my problem, I live in New England...Rust! A few places on the frame needed to be fixed because of the rust, so that was my main concern, brought it to my dads friend and he cut it all away and plated it for me. Now, this is my first vehicle, I want it done right the first time and I want to put an end to my rust problem. Or as much as I can for that matter, so through my work ((Automotive Parts Store)love my discount) I picked up a quart of POR 15 black paint, Marine clean, and Metal ready. I have everything needed to paint the frame. I know POR is nasty stuff and I will have a suit on, not getting any of it on me, already heard horror stories. All the por on frames I've seen here have been all off-body. I'm wondering if I can paint mine while the body is still on? I would like to go ahead and get pretty much everything on the under carriage painted if that is possible, if there is things i shouldn't paint, would taping things off work or no? Any insight given to this noob would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:59 PM

No takers?
Old 03-28-2012, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they all do the frame by itself for a reason. There is rust in places where you can't see and places your por 15 won't get. No sense cleaning the metal in one spot but right beside it having a big rust patch. It will just creep over (under the por 15) and get your frame rusty again. You said yourself you wanted to do it right...
Old 03-29-2012, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by nothingbetter
they all do the frame by itself for a reason. There is rust in places where you can't see and places your por 15 won't get. No sense cleaning the metal in one spot but right beside it having a big rust patch. It will just creep over (under the por 15) and get your frame rusty again. You said yourself you wanted to do it right...
Okay, and yes I do want to do it right, thank you for the insight. In my post I didn't realise when I posted it, but I did shy away from asking if I really do need to do a body off paint job on it, and if thats what it takes then I will do it. A few co workers said I could just do it as it sits now, but again, I do want to do it right the first time. Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:16 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Having lived in NH I know rust. POR on the outside means it will rust on the inside. So eventually having just the POR paint left. I have been in Commiefornia for 2.5 years and my truck still rusts a bit.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Teuf
Having lived in NH I know rust. POR on the outside means it will rust on the inside. So eventually having just the POR paint left. I have been in Commiefornia for 2.5 years and my truck still rusts a bit.
Commiefornia! Hahaha thats a good one! And yeah, it's a killer, this is my first Toyota, I really want to build it up nice and the only thing holding me back right now is the rust.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the hardest part about doing this with the body on will be the cleaning part. Its going to rust again no matter what you do to it.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:50 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I'm with Teuf, Por-15 on the outside of the frame s a waste if your doing it to save a frame as it won't do nothing but make it look pretty. These frames don't rust from the outside in, they rust from the inside out. Unless your doing something to the frame to prevent the water that gets in it and just lays sloshing around in it, putting something on the outside of the frame is a waste of time.

Ask me how many times I have repaired my frame due to rust.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:57 PM

Okay, thanks for the advice guys. Looks like I have a ton of work ahead of me...
Old 03-30-2012, 07:28 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Yea i remember in Epsom in 98 or 99 the guy had it on the lift checking my truck out and we both pushed holes through the frame with screw drivers,,,, oooops