Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

picking up my 1988 4runner tomarrow

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
picking up my 1988 4runner tomarrow

im buying a stock 88 4runner. v6 5speed w/ 160k on it for 2000$ tomarrow . what are some cheap first upgrades i should gett?
Old 11-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
A freakin tune up to make sure it's worth modifying...
Old 11-11-2010, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would do any maitenence it needs (i.e. shocks, fluid changes, shifter bushings, tires etc) first followed by a few other things like building cupholders, doing an h4 headlight conversion, maybe sliders, headers etc.

What purpose do you have in mind for it?
Old 11-11-2010, 07:04 PM

its in really great shape runs great shifts smooth im putting new shackles in the back because of the sag. its gonna be my daily driver/ hunting rig.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:06 PM

be warned;
once you start modifying the truck, you won't want to stop...and unless you have deep pockets, your wallet will get lighter very quickly.
Don't get me wrong, I love spending money on my truck. But trust me, it'll become a habit really quickly.
Just think for a while about the specific upgrades you want to do, only you can really decide what to spend money on because only you really know what you're gonna use the thing for.
I agree completely with the two posts above though, make sure the Toyota is running well mechanically before you spend money on other stuff. It may have the nicest stereo in the world but if it won't start/drive/stop it's useless in my book.
Enjoy the yota!
Old 11-11-2010, 07:08 PM

and if you ever just want to drop a lot of cash into it, get a 3.4 V6 or the good ole 22RE
Old 11-11-2010, 07:11 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Congrats on yout purchase. Thats engine not that bad, Im a big fan of this 3vze. There are little things you can do to it, just search the forums for it. Isr mod, headers, timing advance just to name a few. and if you plan to offroad with it, get proper recovery gear and a locker. youll be golden.

Lets see some pics when you get it!
Old 11-11-2010, 07:13 PM

thanks for the advice. my plan is to drive it as is for like a month or two then lift it and throw on some 33's and some tube bumbers. it has the sr5 wheels and i want to paint them gun medal gray whats the best way to paint rims? hah and im aware im gonna go broke . this is my first 4runner. my pictures are of my parents ha
Old 11-11-2010, 07:15 PM

and i will for sure post pics
Old 11-11-2010, 07:16 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
pick up a straight axle on the way home too! hehe
Old 11-11-2010, 07:20 PM

im gonna wait awhile on the straight axle. hah i dont really feel like cutting everything out of the front end. what are some pros and cons of a straight axle
Old 11-11-2010, 07:25 PM

oh boy...lol

here ya go
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=243093

Last edited by bobby_duce; 11-11-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:36 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Congratz on finding one you feel is a cherry... low miles, too, nice!

I'm not a 3.0 guy... never had one. However, I have a buddy with one that has plenty of power on hills, etc., and does very decent off road. It's very reliable, just, from what I've heard many times, 'NOT FUN TO WORK ON' for many situations.

Far as mods, seem to see most guys doing ISR mod, Headers, Air intake, but most I know stop at that and keep em pretty simple.

Pro's of straight axle? More flex,..... pretty tough, especially with some armor and maybe truss,..... lil easier to work on? Wanna lift one- SLAP SOME SPRINGS ON IT AND GO! lol. My IFS seems a lil nicer on the long, heavy washboarded roads than my 83 SFA was even with only 50K miles on it. LOTS more with TONS more experience in these things on here.. just sharing my personal experience.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Congratz on finding one you feel is a cherry... low miles, too, nice!

I'm not a 3.0 guy... never had one. However, I have a buddy with one that has plenty of power on hills, etc., and does very decent off road. It's very reliable, just, from what I've heard many times, 'NOT FUN TO WORK ON' for many situations.

Far as mods, seem to see most guys doing ISR mod, Headers, Air intake, but most I know stop at that and keep em pretty simple.

Pro's of straight axle? More flex,..... pretty tough, especially with some armor and maybe truss,..... lil easier to work on? Wanna lift one- SLAP SOME SPRINGS ON IT AND GO! lol. My IFS seems a lil nicer on the long, heavy washboarded roads than my 83 SFA was even with only 50K miles on it. LOTS more with TONS more experience in these things on here.. just sharing my personal experience.
what he said! thanks for picking up my slack, im to lazy to write alot tonight! haha
Old 11-11-2010, 07:42 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by bobby_duce
what he said! thanks for picking up my slack, im to lazy to write alot tonight! haha
I thought the same thing when i saw he asked pros/cons...oh so much to type...haha.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:43 PM

thanks .. what are some good springs for a reasonable price
Old 11-11-2010, 07:50 PM

bj spacers and springs are a good start. there vendors on the forum that will be happy to help you out with that your looking for! btw what part of washington you from?
Old 11-11-2010, 07:52 PM

bothell
Old 11-11-2010, 08:07 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Good springs are NOT cheap, ....but they're not astronomical, either, if you're thinking in the context of "I'm doing an SAS", lol. 1000$? Hmmm, I guess.. if you're doing it all yourself and you find a PERFECT Axle for the front that you don't wanna just rebuild while it's out, etc., etc., etc., lol. Plus, I would think that, once you buy the axle, buy the spring/mounting/shock kit, etc.... You're already at 1000$, most often, without using ANY 'payed' help to do any of it. I priced it out to around 1600$ to do it right, doing it all myself.... And well, decided to spend 475$ or so on my IFS for now. (Spacers 108$ 4crawler, have the downey mega travel bjoints already, buddy giving me some fox 2.0's for the front for 100$, deluxe diff and sway drop kit from 4crawler 49$, lower bj's-mine are toast 125$ shipped, possibly new bushings-both arms 100$ japanese brand, steering stabilizer 79$ or so.... any lil extras not much).... Sure, it's a few extra weeks of savings aside from my other untouchable savings... but SOMETHING ALWAYS COMES UP! lol...

Personally, I would and was going to(who knows... I'm shifty, still might out of no where! lol) get the entire kit from Marlin..... They know what they're doing and the stuff is SOLID. Plus, I was going to DEFINITELY do a truss and armor once in there.... and that isn't free, either.

Springs? Heard a few say they SWEAR by Chevy springs for the rear and throw the rear springs on the front with a possible extra couple leafs and moving things up a lil bit. Not positive about OME, but I've heard good things about them, too. Just don't think they're making stuff like Marlin and some other HD off road guys... Total Chaos(???) Pretty sure the Chevy springs for the rear don't just bolt right up, either... even though you'll be able to slap the rears up front with some modification.

Lots to think about, especially.... "Do I really need this?" If you feel you will... then start saving and planning everything out.

BTW, ... who, ME Bobby? hahahaa... I'm just a newbie with a good memory and lots of ambition, hahahaha. Ok, after a year or so... since REALLY actually posting anything... and working on em... maybe I'm more of an 'intermediate'??? hahahaha.

If you're going with IFS upgrade for now, check on my build thread as well as the others who have been helping me fish out some info on the best "PLAN OF ATTACK", RO4!

PS> WELCOME TO YOTATECH, HOMIE! Another West Coaster FTW! lol.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:39 AM

bump to the top, lets see some pic!

Quick Reply: picking up my 1988 4runner tomarrow