Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Need a new 22RE

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a new 22RE

So I've only had my '89 pickup (4x4/manual trans.) for about 2 months. Suddenly major engine problems! Mechanic friend I trust says it's been run really hot at one point and will likely need to be replaced (only 126,000K!!!). I've found threads talking about Oregon Engines and Sunwest. Both look good, but I feel like I'm flying blind. LCE is too expensive. Anyone ever tried Gearhead Engines? They offer a pretty decent warranty and can ship to me from Dallas. I mainly want reliability but wouldn't be opposed to improved performance. I really need good advice. Anyone put any real miles on any of these brands? Thanks.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have only heard good things about oregons.
Never heard of gearhead.
IMO LCE is overrated
Old 04-27-2010, 09:49 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Sorry to hear, DSY! I'm not doubting your friend, but I would recommend going through the threads and finding some helpful threads on diagnosing....then make a checklist....then get to work, checking it out. I'm running the Original Engine(top and bottom end) on 256K Miles and aside from some sensor issues, IT PURRS!

First things you could check is;

1. Check entire cooling system, including water pump-thermostat-radiator-clutch fan
2. Check your oil for ANY milky appearance and then run a Compression Test
3. If you don't find anything SERIOUSLY wrong with your compression and you do find a cooling issue, start fishing around on this site for the easiest to understand minor overhauls.

Make sure you need an entire engine first...you might just need a head gasket, which is a decent amount of work and not too cheap(on the work end, lol) but THOUSANDS less than new motor, eh?, lol. These engines are not known for dying at 125k orig. miles, ya know?

Best of luck,

Mark

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 04-27-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:40 AM

I did the sunwest.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:48 AM

Thanks y'all. We're planning to run a compression test and everything before we pull the engine, of course, but all signs point to dead.

How many miles on the Sunwest? Any problems? Did you get the RV cam all? Or just the standard 22RE.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:57 AM

I went all out,cam,head,timing cover,balaced flywheel, 20,000 hard miles.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:05 AM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
iselloil, your thread just pointed another member here to grab a Sunwest motor. Thanks for the feedback.

Pirate McGee has had nothing but problems with his Oregon Engines motor, and if you look up reviews of them on city search you will find more bad reviews.

And I want to see this motor in action, its on my list to pick up for myself!
Old 04-28-2010, 06:53 PM

The guy from Oregon Engines sent me an e-mail and said that their basic 22RE produces 116 hp and that their SuperStock version produces 140 hp. Does this sound feasable for a 22RE? I thought the factory versions only made 75 hp or something. Could they really get such an improvement like that?
Old 04-30-2010, 08:30 AM

Anybody?? (crickets...)

I've read good and bad things about nearly all of the engine re-builders.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:31 AM

like what?
Old 04-30-2010, 08:53 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey DSY, I can't speak for anyone else(Obviously, lol), but I'm leaning toward THIS IS TOO BIG A DECISION, at least for me, to tell you, "OH YEAHHHH, go with *#)#@)(&". What many seem to do, from many sites, is piece together from different builders, with their decisions based upon "this company does this best, ....this is worth the extra bucks", etc. For instance, LCE, from what I saw, has some of the best headers, throttle body upgrades(Power packages include header, etc.), and then many of those building will go with Engine Builders for the short block rebuild kit and head(price and reputation). I know nothing of Oregon Builders or Sunwest, don't want to doubt them at all. However, every experience I've had from LCE(talked to Wes) and Engine Builders(talked to Ted) thus far have been incredibly thorough, helpful and they back up their products by reputation.
Are you going to do new mounts, new flywheel, cluctch, air intake kit, etc? Write out an ENTIRE list of what you'd like to do, start researching and then go with what your research has told you is the best bet. I know LCE is pricey....but it's HIGH Quality(some of their stuff is just probably overpriced, lol). My associate has 180k on one of their Reman. engines with some mods....he's not complaining.

Good luck, man, looking forward to the build up!
Old 05-03-2010, 07:32 PM

Well -- upon closer inspection -- my oil looks very milky (coolant in oil I guess) and I've got poor compression in #2. What do y'all think? I don't want this to be an ongoing problem (daily driver).
Old 05-03-2010, 07:43 PM

Oregon Engine Rebuilders and Sunwest are both good companies. IF I had to get a whole new engine I think I would go with the Oregon Engines super stock. The 22re is 116 hp from the factory so I would think their super stock would be higher than that. 140 hp might be a little too much but I bet it will be better than stock. Someone mentioned Engnbldr and these guys use the same parts as engnbldr does.

If you don't want to swap the motor just do the head gasket and timing chain components from engnbldr and maybe you'll be fine, if not get the Oregon engines super stock.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:48 AM

Well, I'm definately replacing the engine (I'm afraid simply replacing the head would lead to more problems). I ordered my new Oregon Engines 22re Superstock on Wednesday (05/12/10). Should be here next week. Can't wait! Maybe I'll create a build-up thread.

While I'm at it I figure I should replace the clutch. Marlin Crawler 1200# seems to be the general consensus as the best.

Also considering headers, but don't want to drop a lot more cash. Any opinions on bang-for-your-buck deals? Anyone have any experience with Hedman?