Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Frame repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frame repair

Well i was out doing some hard wheeling in my 4runner and i broke my frame, turns out it was pretty rusty on the inside. Anyways i propped it up so the frame was level and proceeded to use about 12 tubes of jb weld. i mixed in the some metal shavings to make it extra strong, i hope it works. I can weld a little bit but dont have a welder. Do u guys think it will hold when i take it off the blocks?

*Edit, i had to fix it quickly because i have to travel about 300 km this weekend to go wheeling with my freind from school, any thoughts welcome?

Last edited by Justinvd; 06-06-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where in BC are you from?
Seems like the police around here really don't like Toyotas, especially lifted ones, and as soon as they see welds on a frame the will send you in for a structural integrity inspection.
I sure hope you welded it up well!
Old 06-06-2008, 06:43 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
THat aint gonna hold dude, dont wheel that truck till you plate the frame and weld.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Justinvd
Well i was out doing some hard wheeling in my 4runner and i broke my frame, turns out it was pretty rusty on the inside. Anyways i propped it up so the frame was level and proceeded to use about 12 tubes of jb weld. i mixed in the some metal shavings to make it extra strong, i hope it works. I can weld a little bit but dont have a welder. Do u guys think it will hold when i take it off the blocks?

*Edit, i had to fix it quickly because i have to travel about 300 km this weekend to go wheeling with my freind from school, any thoughts welcome?
lol I hope this is a joke I had repaired a 2wd mazda years ago with some Unistrut and all thread I had no money at the time and there was lots of scrap unistrut at work, it held the frame together for a year then the other side went out and I got another truck.

as for JB weld I patched a crack in the top of my radiator and a broken bracket that holds the radiator the bracket held for a month the crack stayed sealed for 6 months and I resealed it with JB again 3 days ago so it should last 6 more months before I have to seal it again.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:01 PM

Fix the frame right...don't go wheeling till you do......I wouldn't even drive it personally. That JB isn't going to hold very long.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:16 PM

I want to see some pics of this repair 12 tubes is alot of JB
Old 06-06-2008, 07:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I doubt that it will hold. Not because JB weld isn't good stuff, but I am doubtful that this is a good application for it.

I am guessing that the base metal was not clean enough for it to bond well, if at all, but even if it was, JB probably wouldn't work anyway. As others have said, don't wheel it. Get it fixed right.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I never "have" to be anywhere bad enough to make me use JB Weld to repair a frame .

Either fix it correctly, or do a frame swap (and take lots of pictures ).
Old 06-07-2008, 06:18 PM

Sorry my toyota hating freind got my password and decided to mess around. my 4runner frame is solid and did not break and im not retarted enough to use jb weld. I played a similar trick on him on TRS so he got his revenge. Sorry for wasting your time haha
Old 06-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member

Surely the Police in B.C. have a law against that too....
Old 06-07-2008, 07:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry my toyota hating freind got my password and decided to mess around. my 4runner frame is solid and did not break and im not retarted enough to use jb weld. I played a similar trick on him on TRS so he got his revenge. Sorry for wasting your time haha
Thats what I would say too....
Old 06-07-2008, 07:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thankfully we have none of that structural inspection stuff here in Wisconsin.

Last edited by wrenchtech; 06-07-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

That's funny as hell, sounds like someone needs their door handles jb welded shut.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tulsa_97SR5
That's funny as hell, sounds like someone needs their door handles jb welded shut.
hey good idea!! lock the people who stole my dog outta their car... lmao... no im not that cruel, but im gonna keep that idea in mind for when the situation calls for it
Old 06-07-2008, 11:28 PM

hahaha we did that to a friend he logged onto myspace on a buddy of mines computer and did not log off so my buddy changed our friends profile so it looked like he was bi curious he changed his profile music to the village people changed the whole who i'd like to me to Barbra Streisand and Tom Sellacke
he even went to the point of photochoping our friends head into some pretty gay looking pics.

it was really funny to say the least our friend was really pissed he had family calling him asking what was going on and if it was true.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by CyMoN
hahaha we did that to a friend he logged onto myspace on a buddy of mines computer and did not log off so my buddy changed our friends profile so it looked like he was bi curious he changed his profile music to the village people changed the whole who i'd like to me to Barbra Streisand and Tom Sellacke
he even went to the point of photochoping our friends head into some pretty gay looking pics.

it was really funny to say the least our friend was really pissed he had family calling him asking what was going on and if it was true.

Haha, this guys just a ford nut and wasnt impressed when i stopped driving my f250 and got my 4runner so we have an ongoing competition.

Haha and im from the west coast of b.c. Vancouver island and powell river once in a while, i know alot of people with plated yota frames that havnt ever bin pulled over by the d.o.t or anything. I dont think anyone else on here is from vancouver island that would know the rules?
Old 06-08-2008, 02:34 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Remember the Sign Post Frame repair thread?

Since your buddy posted this for you, guess we can't get busted for flaming in the newb folder
Anybody remember the sign post frame repair thread? That one is up there with using jb weld
I saved the pictures but for some reason they got shrunk down:
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o...20frame%20mod/