Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Detroit locker for DD?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also thanks for all the info guys, seemingly easy decisions aren't always so.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:16 AM

I don't know but wouldn't a front and rear locked rig have a really bad time steering in the snow and on ice?
Better: ARB up front, Detroit in rear.?.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:15 AM

You can just lock one of the hubs in the front with a detroit locker, and you'll be fine on ice/snow, except you'll have a 3 wheel drive instead of 4 wheel)
Old 11-19-2009, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by clk_cpa
You can just lock one of the hubs in the front with a detroit locker, and you'll be fine on ice/snow, except you'll have a 3 wheel drive instead of 4 wheel)
My neighbor does that (with a spool in the front) and he says it works pretty good in the snow like that.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:25 PM

I drive mine with 37s and a detroit rear, and its not bad, just have to watch throttle inputs, she'll spin em specially when wet, not so much when dry!! Mine hardly ever unlocks (when it does it will scare the crap out of you cause its loud untill it wears a little bit), the only reason I know its back there is hearing the tires scrub when turning, I actually want to put on in my DD/tow rig dodge diesel!!!

That being said, if it snows where you live (it doesnt snow here and has only snowed once here since I have been alive), it may not be good for you, because like I said, when its wet it will want to power slide! I have boggers and that doesnt help, she'll get sideways when in neutral...lol!!
Old 11-19-2009, 09:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you've never driven locked, isn't it premature to go SAS? Locked is a whole different animal off road.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:17 AM

well if I do SAS it wont be for a while, I just wanna get a locker, some new wheels and maybe some bumpers, then I'll just wheel it like that until something breaks, or I get bored with it.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:52 AM

I have a Detroit on my DD and I love it. Its great in the snow. You really only hear negative stories from people who have never owned one.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:29 AM

Anyone have any experience with a "Powertrax No-Slip Traction Systems". Still havent decided what im going to do yet, and this seems like it could be an option.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PW...1/?image=large
Old 12-03-2009, 09:51 AM

bump?
Old 12-04-2009, 10:27 PM

I'm in agreement with Mudpig, do the Aussie in the rear, but only the rear.

A rear locker makes as much difference with traction as 4wd does over 2wd. A front locker only makes a difference in hardcore 4wheeling, so don't waste your money until you do the SAS.

A locked rear and open front has little effect on causing under-steer (although it can cause "some" under-steer). But once the front is locked, the front just wants to plow straight. Yet another reason not to lock the front until you get hardcore. (BTW, a hardcore 4wheeler doesn't care about under-steer because you can always back up and 3pt turn, but you can't always get the front to climb without a locker.) Also, with a daily driver, you'll want to use 4wd on the highway when the roads are bad; which is not the time for a front locker causing under-steer.

You can do the Aussie or LockRight install yourself, whereas any other locker/limited slip replaces the carrier and requires resetting up the gears. If you pay a shop to do the carrier install, the labor will be more than the cost of the Aussie or LockRight.

"When" you re-gear, lose the Aussie and install the smoother Detroit Soft Locker. You can sell the Aussie and recover some of the cost; although you are still money ahead for the reason stated above.

By the way, for reference of my point of view, my daily wintertime commute is up and down iced over narrow (two track) steep (20% grade) mountain ranch roads. "Theoretically" I'm supposed to use chains, but my wife and I are too lazy, so we just 4wheel until we slide off the road, then put on the chains. Of course, only one side of the rig is accessible at that point, but with lockers, that's no problem and enough to get unstuck. All of my rigs eventually get rear lockers: LockRight in the 4Runner (until I re-gear) and Detroits in everything else. For the periods when I have some rigs with lockers and one without (like right now), I don't change my driving habits at all, but I do find that the open and limited slip rigs really struggle on the ice... So much so, that's why I install the lockers just as soon as I can afford them.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:40 AM

Awesome, thanks for the info. I'm currently trying to track down some stock 4.88s and then I'll go from there. By the sounds of it I'm better off regearing and locking at the same time. Now I just have to make sure I don't wanna run 35s in the future lol. Whoever said wheeling was expensive was ablsolutely right!
Old 12-07-2009, 07:24 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I don't think I'll ever own a truck without a rear locker again. I love it. There are some quirks but there a quirks with a 5spd compared to auto.

I got an Aussie in the front now and like it over the detroit powertraxx. Got my fingers crossed for snow.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:28 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
As for SASing, don't be in a hurry. I rocked IFS till last month it'll get you there, lockers will and driving experience will take you further than an SAS by itself.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:50 PM

Well I finally got a locker. Went with an aussie for the rear, and replaced the lift blocks i had back there with new leafs.
Now i just have to replace all my balljoints, and an axle up front and I can get back to beating on her.

I know its been a while, but thanks for helping me on making a decision everyone.