Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Been a lurker for awhile, finally have a question about Bilstein shocks

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been a lurker for awhile, finally have a question about Bilstein shocks

have been a lifelong toyota owner, had an 89 Taco 4WD, had it up until 235k miles, left for the navy, bought a 2WD freeway truck, GMC (MISTAKE) for SoCal....moved back to the midwest and quickly found this 2001 for a decent price about a year or so ago....

Side story, my dad used my '89 up until last year and sold it for $175....I ALMOST KILLED HIM! Didnt even call me. The guy that bought it cut out all the body rust, put on a chrome body kit after cutting out the rust and had to repair the massive rust hole in the rear frame.....since then he has replaced the tranny and bought a new crate 22RE....truck is still on the road....still want to kill my dad ha!

I just replaced the factory installed BFG's (which had about 90k on them....god bless rotating your tires religously!) found a set of Kelly Trail Trex (decent tire made by goodyear)....cant find Wranglers for a decent price anymore....damn that goodyear!

Now onto the shocks....I am not into the lifting and all that so I want to replace the OEM Bilsteins with Bilsteins....I am of the opinion that Toyota does a fantastic job right out of the gates, so why mess with perfection!

I have run the numbers on Bilsteins website....unfortunately Bilstein doesnt clarify if the shock is for a 2wd or 4wd truck....here is the Part Numbers I THINK should be installed

F4-B46-2286-H0 (Rear Right)
F4-B46-2285-H0 (Rear Left)
F4-B46-2284-H0 or H1 (Front)....what is the difference btwn the H0 and H1 on these?

also, when jacked up and on jack stands, do run of the mill jackstands provide enough clearance to remove the shock without compressing the spring?

and, AMAZON.com has the bilsteins and great prices, unbeatable anywhere....I have purchased many items from amazon and they have all been in great condition, new in box and sealed with no factory defects.....am I safe buying from amazon?

Finally, removal and replacement shouldnt be too difficult, I was an Aviation Structural and Hydraulic mechanic in the Navy so I am mechanically inclined and have all the tools required for the job....

One more thing, this is a great site and you guys/gals provide awesome suggestions!

Some pics of the rig

Old 06-17-2010, 10:49 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by PineappleSlap
89 Taco 4WD, had it up until 235k miles
They didn't make Tacoma's in 1989. Tacoma production started in 94/95 and the first Tacoma was a model year 1995.5

F4-B46-2286-H0 (Rear Right)
F4-B46-2285-H0 (Rear Left)
F4-B46-2284-H0 or H1 (Front)....what is the difference btwn the H0 and H1 on these?
There is no difference between left and right. The front and rears differ though.

also, when jacked up and on jack stands, do run of the mill jackstands provide enough clearance to remove the shock without compressing the spring?
Buy these
http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...set-38847.html

and, AMAZON.com has the bilsteins and great prices, unbeatable anywhere....I have purchased many items from amazon and they have all been in great condition, new in box and sealed with no factory defects.....am I safe buying from amazon?
Amazon states if you are getting a new or used product. Your pretty safe buying ANYTHING from them.

Finally, removal and replacement shouldnt be too difficult, I was an Aviation Structural and Hydraulic mechanic in the Navy so I am mechanically inclined and have all the tools required for the job....
Front struts are a PITA. You can try to do them yourself but you won't have fun. My shop charges $40 to assemble struts.
The rears are a cinch.

On another note. I have a set of rear Bilstiens from a stock 02 Tacoma with 40-45K miles on them. Still have great firmness and no leaks.
55$ shipped for the pair. Message me if your interested.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ha!

Simple mistake on calling the 89 a Tacoma...

appreciate the answers and the offer....I am going to pass on the shocks.

can you give me some specifics on why the fronts are a PITA?
gracias

also, there is a fit checker on amazon it says B46-2286 do not fit a 2001 Tacoma....why would that be?

Last edited by PineappleSlap; 06-17-2010 at 11:05 PM.