Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

'96 4Runner rear sag...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'96 4Runner rear sag...

Hi to all; great site you have. I'm getting a new (used) '96 4Runner Ltd next week. It is high mileage with 280,000 Km on odometer but is in good shape. Have known about the notorious sagging rear suspensions on 4Runners and it is on my list of first things to fix. I've searched all through the FAQ's and have concluded that aftermarket springs are the way to correct this problem. What I can't seem to find out anywhere is whether the sagging spring needs to be replaced with a lift spring for the truck to sit level. I want level or up to 1" of rake so that when the new springs break in that the truck still sits level at least. Can anyone give me info on which springs will work for this? Sorry if I'm.... but I just can't find the information!
Old 11-18-2006, 01:19 PM

You may want to try going with the 1 1/2" lift spring and that should about level the truck. Downey off-road also offer's a heavier spring which will reduce the the sagging in the rear a little better. With this you should be able to level the rear and not worry about sag later on.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Q-DawgVFR
I want level or up to 1" of rake so that when the new springs break in that the truck still sits level at least. Can anyone give me info on which springs will work for this?
Buy springs for a '99 4runner. Welcome to YT.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I believe there was a recall on your rear springs, may want to check into it first. And welcome to Yotatech. I not then go with OME springs if you like the rake.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, people. I think I will try the '99 rear springs to start with, as I can probably get them near wholesale cost from a buddy in the auto business. I finally picked up the truck and its first few days of use was in -20 C and blizzard in Edmonton area. My wife loves it! (It was bought for her to commute to college and back while she re-trains to be a nurse)
Roads very slippery and snow covered. Impressed with the way the truck handles itself. Doesn't lose grip in the rear as much as I would have thought for a primarily RWD vehicle. 4WD is pretty smooth and quiet. Headlights have pretty decent light output, but I'll be adding some driving lights soon to see deer and moose better at night. My only bone to pick is that the defrost seems kinda weak on windsheild AND the electric on rear glass. Oh yeah, the only things not working right are the radio (CD is flaky), rear wiper is not funtioning, along with the rear window. Neither one is a big issue to me at the moment.
I have another question for you 4Runner experts; did the '96 Limited come with keyless entry? Reason I ask is that my truck included no factory keys; just 2 aftermarket keys with no transmitters of any sort. I want to get a couple of Toyota keys cut at dealership (I like the plastic-coated factory ones; they're not as cold to touch in winter), and order some transmitters if it was something my truck should have had. Otherwise, I think I will install a remote start and get keyless entry that way. Any ideas?

Last edited by Q-DawgVFR; 11-26-2006 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:35 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, people. I think I will try the '99 rear springs to start with, as I can probably get them near wholesale cost from a buddy in the auto business. I finally picked up the truck and its first few days of use was in -20 C and blizzard in Edmonton area. My wife loves it! (It was bought for her to commute to college and back while she re-trains to be a nurse)
Roads very slippery and snow covered. Impressed with the way the truck handles itself. Doesn't lose grip in the rear as much as I would have thought for a primarily RWD vehicle. 4WD is pretty smooth and quiet. Headlights have pretty decent light output, but I'll be adding some driving lights soon to see deer and moose better at night. My only bone to pick is that the defrost seems kinda weak on windsheild AND the electric on rear glass.
I have another question for you 4Runner experts; did the '96 Limited come with keyless entry? Reason I ask is that my truck included no factory keys; just 2 aftermarket keys with no transmitters of any sort. I want to get a couple of Toyota keys cut at dealership (I like the plastic-coated factory ones; they're not as cold to touch in winter), and order some transmitters if it was something my truck should have had. Otherwise, I think I will install a remote start and get keyless entry that way. Any ideas?
Old 11-26-2006, 09:37 PM

My '96 ltd has keyless, look under the driver seat for a little black box, if you have one the you have keyless. I bought some remotes off ebay, just be sure to get the BLACK remotes not grey. i will agree with the weak defrost but oh well, I wish we had heated seats!
Old 11-27-2006, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by rcars4life
My '96 ltd has keyless, look under the driver seat for a little black box, if you have one the you have keyless. I bought some remotes off ebay, just be sure to get the BLACK remotes not grey. i will agree with the weak defrost but oh well, I wish we had heated seats!
Heated seats are needed in Phoenix? Ha Ha! I thought you guys had sun and sand, not snow.......

Thanks for the advice: I will check under the seat...... I found a remote start module (black with a logo on one side- resembles a bird within a circle) under the dash with "290i" and not much else, printed on a white label. So I suppose I could replace THAT remote also to get keyless entry??? Not sure which would be the best route to go.

Last edited by Q-DawgVFR; 11-27-2006 at 03:45 AM.