Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

92 4runner has no power and shifts way too early

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 4runner has no power and shifts way too early

I've been having this problem with my 4runner since about 1 month after i bought it. everything seems to run as it should. its a 92 4runner 4WD Automatic w/ a 3.0 v6.

From a stopped position i'll start driving and it downshifts way to early, and has no power. it just takes its sweet ass time to gain speed even with the gas pedal on the floor. turning overdrive off helps, but once i get to about 50 MPH its up to 4k to 5k RPM's. But even with overdrive on, once i get to about 70-75 MPH, same thing. It has no power what so ever going up hills. and the longer it runs for the worse this problem gets.

example, after driving to payson az from phoenix az (80 miles, many hills), i can floor it and it takes like 45 seconds to go from 0MPH to 55MPH. Its just gutless.

Please help, i've tried adjusting the throttle/kickdown cables, changes plugs and wires, checked all injectors, checked vaccuum lines, checked air intake, checked maf sensor, checked all noticable wiring. its really starting to frustrate the he'll out of me.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
So what size tires do you have? im gonna assume 31s

Check what gear ratio you have by looking at the sticker in the drivers side door sill.

The autotragics are notorious for being a SLUG.

Have you checked the trans fluid, how about trying it with the ECT button on..
Old 04-26-2010, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 3.0s are known for being sluggish anyways so it's hard to tell over the internet whether you actually have a problem or if you just have a 3.slow. It's hard to say how fast it should go in a certain amount of time since we can't actually see the hill you are trying to go up. If it takes 45 seconds to go from 0 to 55 mph on flat, you definitely have a problem. But I know on some hills, my old '95 4runner 3.0 would never even make it to 55 at all. How many miles or on it?
Old 04-26-2010, 05:13 PM

yes i have 31's, but it just started running like this out of no where. it used to run like a normal 4runner should. i started it up one day and ya. another thing is there is it wont go into passing gear. it did a randomly couple times after this problem started, but i havnt seen passing gear in months. ive tried all the adjustments with and without the ect on. when i floor it makes a low bogish noise and feels and sounds like something is stopping it from using it power/acceleration. ive checked all the fluids and there arn't any leaks. the check engine light is on though. i know the truck is capable because i can get it to go by shifting into 2nd and playing with the overdrive. i just think there is something very important that isnt hooked up or is set wrong, but i;m stumped.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:44 PM

Have you checked your TPS? (Throttle Position Sensor) I had a bad one on mine and after I replaced and adjusted it, the whole rig ran better.
Welcome to yotatech btw!!!
Old 04-26-2010, 05:56 PM

Well, now that we know it's throwing the CEL, my advice would be to see what it came on for and that will probably tell you what the problem is or at least give you a starting point. Right now it sounds like it could be engine, ECM, or tranny.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:59 PM

well i'll try replacing the tps. if thats not it i think it might be egr related. thanks.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:58 AM

Try unbolting the cat converter and see what happens. My last car (not a yota) had the same symptoms and it turned out the cat was clogged or some. It would take me about 2 minutes to get up to 40 on a flat road.

Swapped a new cat in and it ran like a dam champ!
Old 06-09-2010, 03:00 PM

Problem Solved?

FlipSide,

Any chance you've found out what was wrong with your 'Runner? I've been having the exact same problem since I bought mine about 6 months ago. My truck is also a '92 3.oh no w/auto. It's at about 240k ATM and is on 235/75/15 even though it's geared for 31's(previous owner prob just followed door sticker for tires).

I can relate to all your symptoms. I've noticed, however, that if I place the truck in cruise while on the freeway and use the steering wheel controls to accelerate the truck then drives as I think it should. It will then downshift and run up to 5k or so before shifting.

This thing just shifts way too early (especially while trying to climb hills as you describe) and will not kickdown to a lower gear no matter what (well unless in cruise I've discovered). I have also become accustomed to driving with O/D off until about 50 (helps a lil) and then I go ahead and click O/D on. ECT does NOTHING as far as I can tell. It's o k for commuting but trying to get this thing up mountains to get to the pines/lakes/camping is just ridiculous.

I just replaced the No. 1 vacuum line (under pass side of intake mani) hoping that had something to do with it since it was never hooked up. Which I'd just noticed this past weekend. No dice! I had to replace the fuel hose going from the RH fuel tube to the cold start injector and that's how I found the No.1 Hose not connected.

Any help would be very appreciated!

-Kevin
Old 06-10-2010, 11:54 AM

i have been having the same problem, almost to a "T". mine only happens when the vehicle is warm and after i shut it off and restart it, even if only for a second it will run fine for a bit before acting back up.

i did discover this. i did just learn this while replacing the TPS (which can make all of this happen) the hose that connects to the throttle body for the air intake, will crack at the bottom. mine had a 2 in crack letting in WAY to much air.

i went to two junk yards and both of them had the same problem with the ones in their lots. crack in the same place.

you may want to check yours.

so far i have done a complete tune up, cleaned all the vacuum lines including the RGK or what ever its initials are, the sensor before it, both of which were dirty and clogged or somewhat clogged. i just changed the TPS but so far it does not seem to help, but its too early to tell.

i was thinking a clogged CAT but that does not work with when i shut it off and turn it right back on it is fine.

my last resort is to replace the CPU, it could be not sending the right signal. you can get them for 300 and change it yourself

i will be getting mine next week and will let you all know.