Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

4th Gen Pickup AC Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4th Gen Pickup AC Question

Hello guys,

First post, but have been reading a lot of the forums, as I am looking to purchase a 4th gen Pickup sometime this week. Of course the common theme I am running into is AC issues/Freon compatibility.

The truck I really want is a 86 4x4 reg cab, and she is a beaut'. The owner informed me that he took the truck to "his guy" and he said that EPA had "banned" the freon that he needed. Other than that, he didn't know a heckuva lot about it. I have read up a little bit and it is obvious that r12 is becoming increasingly hard to find and crazy expensive due to EPA regulations.

I guess I'll cut to the chase. Is it likely that r12 is what this guy is talking about (it hasn't been retrofit)? If it is, can I get a charge at a local shop, even if it is pretty expensive? And worst case scenario, if there is a terminal issue with the AC system (compressor, etc), would it be at all possible to install part or all of the system from my recently deceased 99 4runner 4cyl 4x4 in order to keep cool?

Summer is coming quick down south, and I definitely want AC in my vehicle, but dang that truck is by far the prettiest one I have seen for sale.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:22 AM

I live in the Charlotte ,NC area and my 92 truck's AC hasn't worked for years. It has never really bothered me. I roll down the windows and open the back window. My debate was to convert to the new refrigerant also but others have learned it just doesn't work the same. Others on the forums have said it just doesn't get as cool. I have also heard that they may start banning the current coolant due to new "environmental" regulations. For now I am on the fence about what to do next. If you like the truck and all the windows can open just get it and enjoy.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:33 AM

Thanks for the good vibes, skoob. I've always been windows down, wind blowing through whats left of my hair kind of guy. I'm gonna try and buy it today and will share some pics soon.