Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

2wd towing question

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2wd towing question

I have a 94 22re 2wd pickup that I am considering moving across the country in. I drove across, fully loaded once and had no issues (other than a saggy rear). This time, I am considering towing a uhaul enclosed 4x8' trailer in addition to a full load in the bed and cab. I can't give you specific weights other than the tow hitch is rated to 2000lbs (I believe).
I have an add a leaf in the back and am wondering how much I would be pushing the limits with this setup. I know it's tough to say without knowing weight of cargo but in general, i'll be hauling house stuff; furniture, bicycles a small motorcycle, kitchen wares,etc. Not tons of tools or concrete or anything like that. what do you think?

The truck is in great shape and I'll def be changing all the fluids, checking brakes and prob renewing the belts before I set out.

On a related note, it would cost more than $3k to rent a truck and tow my own vehicle across the country. --Robbery!!
Opinions?

Last edited by SC2WD; 08-27-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:26 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

You might be surprised when u-haul tells you your towing vehicle is to small and they won`t give you the trailer .

You could do it if you really had too and have no other options. I would get rid of everything you can to lighten the load if you have no other option.

Speaking from doing dumb things myself if you get 200 miles in a day of 12 to 15 hours. of being behind the wheel your doing good

Are you talking Automatic Trans or manual ??

Be a long slow trip Because stopping is the major problem 2 major hills to get down. Bad enough pulling a trailer then you want to load the truck also .

Just curious which route you plan to follow

I would rent the truck load it and your truck on a trailer and go. Or look to having a pallet or two shipped to where your going

Have you figured your gas expenses which will be no where normal of what you get.

Have you looked into the cost of having any of the moving companies move your goods lot of times the take several LTL `s to one location .

All I know is I left Wyoming up near Jackson in the winter pulling a 4 horse stock trailer with a 1967 GMC pick up with a V6 not many more horse power than a 22rec in 1977 on my way to Pa

I was 19 years old interesting other than the heater core cracking and losing a wheel bearing 100 miles from where I was going it was a adventure.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wyoming pretty much covered all the topics i was gonna bring up but....

pulling the weight shouldnt be a problem. Just make sure you dont overload the hitch, and make sure your frameor hitch isnt rusty and in good condition.

depending on how much tongue weight you have, i'm gonna bet you're going to be swaying regardless, but weight will determine how severe.

keep it slow and steady, dont be afraid to go under the speedlimit, and by all means DONT jerk the steering wheel to keep the truck straight, just let it wander if it has too, but DO try to keep it in the lane, by slowly moving the steering wheel over....again, no abrupt movements.

engine brake as much as you can. I'd be worried about the brake's. keep them cool, so that way when you need them, they will be ready and working. Dont be afraid to downshift to a lower gear to slow down, and when going down a hill leave it in a lower gear to keep the trucks speed low, rather then riding the brakes
Old 08-27-2011, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just wrote a long response but got booted

Uhaul has no prob. renting the trailer to me--I've pulled one with this truck before.

The fuel costs are a wash as I will be paying for fuel regardless of the vehicle I drive and the Toyota will do as well or better than any rig I would rent.
On the way from Ca to Pa, I averaged 24 mpg fully loaded and drove anywhere from 350-650 miles/day. I know the trailer will slow me down even more and eat into my mileage.

Its a manual trans.

Thanks for the reminders about driving with a full load--its not my first rodeo but I will definitely keep those things in mind, wanting to get there with everything (including me) in one piece!

As written above, brake check, fluids and belts will be renewed/replaced.

Re: moving companies; if Uhaul wants to charge $3K, I assume a moving company will be charging more. I have heard of some really cheap shipping options in the $1k range and I will definitely be checking in to those. I plan on getting rid of as much stuff as possible but there are some things that I will need once I am out there and will cost me an arm and a leg to replace so we'll see what gets sacrificed!

Any other thoughts?
Old 08-28-2011, 04:19 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

We all have are own way of doing things this works for me.

I hate having the sun in my eyes any time If this doesn`t effect you never mind .

I would not be driving at that time of day coming east it would depending on the weather be that period from day light to about 8 or 8:30 .

I don`t know if your on a budget then motels are most likely out. Then that would be a good time for a nap breakfast what ever.

Me I go out of the way to stay off the interstates unless there is no other way I find them way to boring. Also far to many idiots

You sound like you know enough to avoid rush hours in the major cities It can be a real pain even when you know what lane to be in .

That along with road destruction and all the bridges in the whole country being repaired at once.

The best rule to remember is if trucks are there it has room for truck parking not good food not hot waitresses although one out of 3 can be lived with 3 out of 3 what can I say but if you find it let me know.

Have a good trip be safe . Remember this is not a timed event!!
Old 08-28-2011, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I do alot of towing and as was mentioned make sure your hitch and frame are solid. What can cause you to sway is how your weight on the trailer is. You want more in front of the axles. If it is even or more behind the axle it will sway.

Doesnt matter if it is 5 pounds or a ton just need more in front. Then you have to watch tongue weight. My little 2WD pulls great, just really have to watch braking and it isnt a power house but gets the job done. If you are really heavy and come to a steep hill and have to stop you could be in trouble so definitley check your route out.

Actually I liked traveling at nite when it was just me. Less traffic and not dealig with the sun, but if you need any services, that is the downfall.