Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

22R Carb...need ideas

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22R Carb...need ideas

I am restoring a 1985 pickup 2wd 22r. It came to me as a parts truck but I just knew I could make it run. I'm to the point of cranking but not starting. Igniter is producing spark, distributor is producing spark. Made sure I was at 0 TDC and the #1 lifters were loose. Haven't been able to set timing by the distributor because I can't get it to run. So I have spark and pretty close on timing. Rebuilt a carb I had lying around and put it in. Fuel pump is pumping, can smell gas when it turns over when I sniff the carb. Can see gas in the bowl if I look through the butterfly, but not in the glass, but that may be because it hasn't run yet. Idle mix screw has not been compromised. Fast idle screw and idle speed screw...well, I have no idea. This carb was missing the FIS, so I replaced it, but don't know where to set it as a starting point. Don't know how the idle speed screw is set either.

I need some suggestions on why it won't crank if anyone can help. Could be the screws, but could be something else. I've read many threads on carbs, but can't find any suggestions that would fit my particular problem. Thanx to anyone who can offer me something. And, no, I want stock, not a Weber.

Also, totally off topic...I have a 1992 Landcruiser that I am looking to sell, only thing is...it ALMOST cranks...probably something simple, but I would like to sell it anyway, running or not.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:55 AM

Make sure the distributor is properly lined up with the gear on the cam. When I did my headgasket over the weekend I had the same issue.

I took the disty cap off got #1 to TDC and looked where the rotor point relative to the #1 wire and see if it is off. If it is pull the distributor out just enough to turn the rotor in the direction of where the wire is and try to start.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:56 AM

Well, I just re-read your post and you seem to have already gotten the distributor in the right position, but it never hu8rts to double check.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:11 AM

Thanks for answering! It was pointing to #1 after I stabbed it. Thought about it already. But thanks you for trying! Any other ideas?
Old 10-06-2011, 09:02 AM

Did you set your float height ? Did you blow out the jets and fuel passages ?You said it cranks but won't fire... try spraying carb cleaner or starting fluid down the venturis. Does it attempt to ignite when doing this ? If so the try dribbling gas down the venturis to get it to run.
You should be able to see gas in the float bowl, your fuel pimp should have filled it by extended cranking.

Get the basics squared away first then move forward.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:08 AM

Soaked whole thing in a bucket of parts cleaner. Everything was clean when I put it back together. Decided to spray it with starter fluid from the first time I tried to crank it. Had drained the tank to put fresh gas and blew through the lines to clean out trash. On starter fluid, it combusted a few times, but never really cranked. Haven't tried pouring gas straight in yet. Have a 4runner that will crank for a few seconds on starter fluid, thought maybe this would do the same. Not yet, though, just maybe on pop or two. Still trying things here and there...
Old 10-06-2011, 06:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does it have 12v to the fuel shut off solenoid ? The solenoid could also be bad.

Last edited by swampfox; 10-06-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:25 PM

Fuel cut off is good. Clicks like a mechanical pencil when power is applied. Charging battery on trickle charger overnight, added more gas to the tank in the hopes that maybe just maybe it's not picking up or the battery isn't strong enough...will try more tomorrow.