03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Removing XREAS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing XREAS?

Any 4th gen'rs with xreas thought about or attempted removing it? Just curious.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:32 PM
Banned

what is xreas? i have seen it mentioned in quite a few threads now and am clueless
Old 08-11-2004, 11:41 PM
Banned

why would you want to remove it, MoreRunner?
Old 08-12-2004, 12:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jimabena74
what is xreas? i have seen it mentioned in quite a few threads now and am clueless
xreas is a 4th gen suspension package upgrade that you find in the sport (I think it was). Supposed to provide better suspension response or something. I read up on it for my dad's 4th gen but I don't remember the details now.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe the reason you might want to remove it is it locks you into Toy shocks because they are connected via hydraulic line. That means limited or no lifts and no aftermarket shock solutions. But it is supposed to handle great goin the the mall.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey More...any problems with the V6? Lady Hayduke and I are lookin' at 3rd & 4th gens. Consumer Reports says there were problems with the 4.0.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:47 AM
Contributing Member

the early 4.0's had some minor issues but apparently all the new 4.0's are pretty sweet

I haven't heard anyone remove the xreas on their 4runner but if you want to be the first, that's cool too!
Old 08-12-2004, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

IF OME had suspension kits out for the 4th Gen, I will seriously look into it. Defintely will learn a lot form it, so other people will get an idea how to replace components. The repair manual shows how to remove the components, basically you need to have all four wheels hanging in the air to take the pressure off, then you can disconnect the shocks and the center "balancers" at identified disconnect points. I have not heard of anybody doing it yet.

rocky, the reason to remove XREAS is to get longer shocks to go with longer coils for more flex. BUt as options are still limited in the lift section to spacers, apart from Downey there is very little point in doing it yet. next time I see michael, we need to try and do a flex on the back and you should see the additional flex his runner has over mine with the revtek shocks.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:00 PM
Contributing Member

I highly doubt any vendor will make suspension parts specifically for the XREAS system. They will just make them for the non xreas 4runners and force all owners with xreas to just remove their system.

If you really wanted to remove xreas and go back to the traditional shock and coil, you can do that anytime. The rear is simple but the front requires custom shocks of which Downey is the only one with something almost ready.

Do keep in mind that Donahoe, Fabtech and SAW was also in the works for some front suspension (not sure on the rear) so this is welcoming news. Hopefully we'll see and hear more about their product line soon. The great news is that the new 05 taco's front end is exactly the same so the suspension parts are swappable (heresay). so we'll see when it all takes off.

If you want more flex andries, remove your swaybar like me and you'll notice the difference right away. Also driving w/o the front swaybar isn't that bad since the 4runnre is heavy to begin with (just can't do those porsche turns that's all.)
Old 08-12-2004, 01:58 PM

Rocky, don't get me wrong, I love how my runner corners stock w/XREAS, but like mentioned, it limits aftermarket oportunities.

I guess for right now, I will just go with the revtek kit until some more aftermarket front suspension parts come out. I guess I can deal with "mall ride" until then. Along with a lift, I plan on some good front/rear/side/under armer this month so the ride height will be brought down from the weight just like Lance's, so adjustable front susp. would be nice. I'm going to try tubular bumpers though.

As far as the 4.0's go, I bought mine in july of 03. It has been to the shop twice so far. Once because all my VSC/traction control turned off and the engine barely ran. The stealership said that one of the injectors must have had some water go through it but I'm not sure if that's what happened. The second time, 2 of my belt tensioners went bad. The bearings were shot and it sounds like another one is about to go. Other than that, it runs really good. Although I would get a V8. I wish I had.

Lance, how long do you think it will take for more aftermarket suspension parts to come out?
Old 08-12-2004, 02:04 PM
Contributing Member

Adam, Downey called me a few weeks ago to do a follow up on the coilover. this means that they're in their final stages and will probably be the first out selling a full suspension lift. I'll probably hear from them when they're ready to release the final production so I'll keep everyone informed when I find out.

Fabtech is working on some front coilovers (one of the members here or on t4r.org is doing the beta testing so hopefully I"ll hear from him when his set is done and ready for full production).

SAW was working on some front coilovers but now I'm not sure as they haven't said much as their stories has changed a few times.... who knows...

Donahoe should have some front coilovers soon but not sure on the exact date. They're being pretty quiet about the entire matter but I have my ways on getting some info so we'll see

That's about it for now. I'd say as soon as one vendor starts selling a full suspension kit, everyone and their grandma will come out with something to compete against it.

I really want OME to do something but they're being lazy so we'll see...
Old 08-12-2004, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Good Times
I highly doubt any vendor will make suspension parts specifically for the XREAS system. They will just make them for the non xreas 4runners and force all owners with xreas to just remove their system.

If you really wanted to remove xreas and go back to the traditional shock and coil, you can do that anytime. The rear is simple but the front requires custom shocks of which Downey is the only one with something almost ready.

Do keep in mind that Donahoe, Fabtech and SAW was also in the works for some front suspension (not sure on the rear) so this is welcoming news. Hopefully we'll see and hear more about their product line soon. The great news is that the new 05 taco's front end is exactly the same so the suspension parts are swappable (heresay). so we'll see when it all takes off.

If you want more flex andries, remove your swaybar like me and you'll notice the difference right away. Also driving w/o the front swaybar isn't that bad since the 4runnre is heavy to begin with (just can't do those porsche turns that's all.)
Keep us posted on the suspension parts, would be greatto have options.

I was refering to the rear, I could swear Micheal had a number inches more flex in the back than mine, he had the Revtek rear shocks so I assume they are longer allowing more rear droop. I will need to figure out some way to disconnect the sway bar up front and tuck it away, and quick discos in the back. I will probably only worry about this once I do a mayor suspension upgrade, which requires the weight of stell bumpers included, which requires steel bumpers with winch in the front and tire carrier in the rear, and so on. Evil circle of mods

I'll just get sliders for now (hope to get the Hanna ones before my next trip) Like the bolt around idea, my welding skills suck.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bulldog-yota
Keep us posted on the suspension parts, would be greatto have options.

I was refering to the rear, I could swear Micheal had a number inches more flex in the back than mine, he had the Revtek rear shocks so I assume they are longer allowing more rear droop. I will need to figure out some way to disconnect the sway bar up front and tuck it away, and quick discos in the back. I will probably only worry about this once I do a mayor suspension upgrade, which requires the weight of stell bumpers included, which requires steel bumpers with winch in the front and tire carrier in the rear, and so on. Evil circle of mods

I'll just get sliders for now (hope to get the Hanna ones before my next trip) Like the bolt around idea, my welding skills suck.
Since Michael has the Revtek rear shock, he'll have more room to flex compared to ya. Also if you're thinking about front disconnects.... good luck as I've looked into every possible option and it looks grim. the location of the swaybar end link is directly above the cv boot which is a concern... if you can think up of a way that'd be cool (let me know).
as for the rear. i think you can keep the rear connected...

btw, i'm sure stubbs or demello can both make bolt on sliders.. Just giving ya guys all the options out there
Old 08-12-2004, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the heads up Lance. Have you heard anything about more upper A arms from other companies? Also, how much of a difference on travel up front do you think you have vs. a spacer kit like revtek? It is probably at least 2-3 inches, especially if it's one with the XREAS suspension?