03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Removing XReas

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 01:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing XReas

Have any of you 4th Gen owners looked at removing the XReas? My question is what kind of money do you think I'll be looking at spending?

I have given up on the idea of keeping the XReas with a lift. I have enough projects to keep me busy without adding this one to the group.

I think it may not be possible to keep the XReas while lifting so I am going to do it the simple way (without XReas). Originally I was trying to work something out like a bracket or an extended mount but I'm giving up on that idea because a few welders have cringed at the idea of modifying a closed and pressurized system.

With a spacer lift or adjustable coil overs I think I'll get the equivilence of XReas at least in the sense of body roll and pitch. What do you think?

Thanks for the input!

Doug M.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:50 AM

I am 100% with you in one respect.... a decent lift is NOT possible with X-REAS.

I still hold out hope of a 1" lift with X-REAS. I think that would be possible via the spacer route with a top strut spacer in front (One part of Daystar lift) and a Confed/Daystar type 1" lift in back.

With 265/70/17 A/T's and a 1" lift, thats probably all I will ever need.

However, if you want an Xreas type ride with a lifted 4th gen, I think you are gonna have to wait until Addco come up with a sway bar kit.

My 3rd gen with Bilsteins and just an Addco front bar (stock rear) was as close to flat cornering as you can get while still giving me a decent ride and good articulation (Front Disco's rear stock bar connected)

So, I have two plans.

1. Short term : Make a 1" spacer lift work with X-reas and go to 265/70/17's

2. Long term : Complete Coil over kit with decent long travel shocks, longer rear springs, Addco front bar only and Discos and probably running one size bigger tires.

One point no one has addressed yet is how the Toyota Service Manual addresses disconnecting and recharging X-Reas. There must be a procedure as I have seen 2 03 Sports needing serious body work and probable removal of the entire front suspension assy. I really want to see whats involved ... once I know what it takes to disconnect and re-charge, I will work on a lifting my truck.

Finally, I drove a non X-reas SR5 this weekend and the difference for how I use my truck most of the time is night and day. For others, it may not be so noticeable.

David
Old 10-23-2003, 06:37 AM
uwf

I want to lift my truck as well, but I think that I am going to wait for the aftermarket to catch up. The systems work too well for me to eliminate them.

I have read the other posts concerning the X-REAS and a lift. Know one has clearly answered the question of specifically why it can not be lifted? I want to see a picture of where the spacers sit. Can someone post one?

Otherwise, buddy-to-buddy, I think that you guys should wait at least another year before you go hacking under the truck.

Anyway, good luck with your decision.

Joseph
Old 10-23-2003, 02:12 PM
Contributing Member

Doug,

For me, the cons far outweigh pros. My off roading is easy trails and the beaches here. I would not even consider removing or getting a new one without XREAS.

My .02.
Old 10-23-2003, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

I also enjoy having XReas but only in the sense when I leave a freeway or interstate the cornering is awesome. I just want more height and larger tires.

I spoke with "an engineer" who helped Randy at Rev Tek with the lift. He said it would cost a bunch of money and time to swap it out. 'Nuff said there.

Then I spoke with a parts manager at my Toyota dealer and he stated that the front and rear coil springs themselves were in fact the same part for all 4wd v8 models. This leaves me with the idea that I can swap the XReas with a standard front and rear set up (struts and shocks). Maybe I would replace them with some Billes and a full polyurethane kit. Are there any Techs on here who could verify or deny the fact that the parts are the same is my question.

I'd be willing to lose the XReas for three more inches of clearance. I am calling in the morning to find out about computer hook up and if there is any monitoring of the system from the computer to the XReas.

When I spoke with the shop, all of the techs had all left for the day!!

I am under the impression that Toyota went cheap and used as many of the same parts as possible to creat this XReas. Like you guys have said, wait, but time is of the essence and I;m thinking maybe I can make it happen with good old fashioned ingenuity. By the way the enigineer said if there were enough inquiries, he would work on one for the XReas if there were enough nquiries into it. I'll post his phone # tomm!

Thanks in advance for any input.

Doug M.

Last edited by 02Runner; 10-23-2003 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:08 PM

Doug knows how I feel about this. Xreas is such a huge feature that I'm not willing to give it up. Besides off roading, I love road trips and the Xreas is just stupendous for that.
I would be giving up a feature that I would use 90% of the time for a lift I would use 10% of the time. Ultimately, I want both and I think time and patience is your friend on that.

But you look at the lifted trucks and it's real tempting! The lift looks so good and the ground clearance is needed.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:10 PM
Contributing Member

Like I have said before, if you guys are planning to lift your 4runner, then don't bother getting the XREAS as it's a waste of $$$.

But for those that already did, and still want to raise your 4runner, then in short, you're going to have to remove the XREAS system completely. I believe the mounting positions for the shocks/coils are all the same regardless of if you have XREAS or not. All XREAS does is has a pressurized line attached in a X pattern to help the body roll of the 4runner. Electronically when it noticed body roll, it repressurizes to level the 4runner out.

Now after you remove your XREAS system, I'm sure that you can add ANY aftermarket or even the stock Non-XREAS suspension in there (just sux to see it go away though as it's a pretty well made system).

Anyhow, looks like Daystar will be selling their spacers soon and Revtek is one step ahead and already selling their parts. I haven't had a chance to call SAW but I know Slib can do that for us as he's just down the street from them. I had a chance to talk to Downey today and apparently after seeing prototypes of other manufacturers finishing up their suspension, they got on the roll (about friggin time *@*&@^ damn 6 months later... shoot). Anyway they promised me a set in 2 weeks so I should have pictures of a full suspension lift by then

The problem with installing a lift into the XREAS system is there is no real way to remove it w/o disconnecting the XREAS system and thus depressurizing the system. Once this is done, you must take it back to the stealer and have them repressurize the system (if this is even possible), if not, they need to reinstall new shocks pressurized. Just looks like a real pain in the rear to get them fixed. As for people with damaged suspension, expect to pay a premium to have them replace it as I really can't see anyone aside from the stealer fixing this.

Doug, the front and rear shocks are different the coils might be the same though but I never really checked (actually thinking about it, the diameter of the rear coils look much bigger than the front - visual inspection). I'm sure that you can get non xreas suspension in bolt it into your 4runner and then you'll have a non xreas 4runner.

Hope this answers some questions
Old 10-23-2003, 05:44 PM

Ok don't flame me too bad, but what the heck are XREAS's?
Old 10-24-2003, 12:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Erich_870
Ok don't flame me too bad, but what the heck are XREAS's?
XREAS defined as taken from JA's 4Runner Highlander page:

"Standard on the Sport Edition and optional on the Limited is the diagonal-linked relative absorber X-REAS Sport Enhancement Suspension system. Developed by Yamaha for Toyota, 4Runner was the first mid-size SUV to use this system. In the X-REAS Sport Enhancement Suspension system, the compression chamber of each shock is cross-linked to its diagonal mate (front left shock is linked to the rear right and front right is linked to the rear left) via a central control absorber. The central control absorber contains a free piston that pushes against a low-pressure nitrogen charge. An orifice below the piston passes small motions across the vehicle from front to rear creating increased overall vertical shock damping. This dramatically improves on-road handling, and dampens body roll and pitch."
Old 10-24-2003, 02:03 AM
Contributing Member

Well said Woody.

Earlier in this thread I said the part #'s were the same. I meant that the fronts on a 4WD V8 Xreas are the same as a 4WD V8 non-XReas. The rears are a different part # but again Toyota doesn't distinquish between XReas an not on their coil springs.

Doug
Old 05-27-2010, 08:53 PM

X-Reas Question

I have a '04 Runner with X-Reas and I want to lift the front about 2"-3" and was looking at the sway-away bolt in coilovers. Since the coil is not connected to the shock can I swap the coils out or will this difference confuse the system, or is this even possible while keeping the system intact?