03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Problems with All-Pro Off-Road coilover / leaf spring lift (long post)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with All-Pro Off-Road coilover / leaf spring lift (long post)

How has your experience been with All-Pro? Mine did not go as planned......

After 5 days, am still installing the All-Pro 05+ Tacoma front coil-over kit with upper a-arm, 3" Rear Super Flex Leaf Springs, and Walker Evans Compression Adjuster Reservoir - 500 Series shocks.

The kit is made from high quality parts, but I've had a few problems with the installation. Buyer beware.........or at least prepare for a few possible delays.

I've installed a similar Camburg kit on my 2000 4Runner, but would still have liked to have a set of directions. The installation directions link on the All-Pro sight wasn't working over the weekend, but they should have that fixed soon.

First install problem was removing the 13.5" long bolt holding the stock a-arm in place. To remove the bolt, you have to bend back the inner wheel well and pound it the corner a 1/2 " or so. Not too bad after you get past the idea of slightly damaging your truck. This would need to happen for any upper a-arm replacement.

After I installed the new a-arm and coil-over, I attached the bolt connect the a-arm through the uni-ball to the control arm. This bolt was 1/2 " too short. What the heck? Checked the other bolt to find it was also too short. Couldn't get the lower washer on and have threads exposed below the compression bolt.

On the rear of the truck, I hoped things would go smoother. No luck. The new u-bolts to hang the leaf springs where also too short. I had ordered the u-bolt flip kit which comes with a beefy 1/2" mounting plate. Turns out All-Pro doesn't have a supply of the 8" u-bolts needed to use this plate and is still looking for someone to make the odd size bolts. All-Pros fix is to ship me a 1/4" plate, but I was told the bolt treads will not be exposed through the nut. Sketchy at best.......will a little loctite do the trick?

So, move on to the rear shocks. The inside diameter of the mounting bracket on the truck is 1 5/16", while the shock lower mount outside diameter is 1 9/16".... 1/4" difference doesn't come close to fitting. All-Pro's reply on the phone was, "you need to go find a install shop." Trying to remain calm, I tryed to figure out if they have srcewed things up once again by sending me the wrong parts. I got very little help initially and alot of abrasive advise about spreading the mount on the truck and grinding shock mount. Their only other answer was to return the shocks. This problem will not go away if you buy the kit.

The rear shock's external reservoir mounting bracket was not shipped to top it all off.

At this point I'm not a happy customer although All-Pro did try to help the situation. I finally got a hold of someone who wasn't trying to shift blame. Sara was great in trying to make things right, though her counter part (name withheld) did just the opposite.

All-pro is shipping the a-arm to control arm bolts, thinner mounting plate, a new coil over that was damaged in shipping, and the reservoir mounts today. Maybe I'll have the truck back on the road ofter a week on the jack stands?
Old 06-27-2006, 03:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I was thinking of gettin the 3" or 4" flex leaves for the rear of my runner. hopefully if i do get htem i wont have the problems u are having.