03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Popping Noise in back of 03 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Popping Noise in back of 03 4Runner

I've got a 2003 Toyota 4runner that is making a popping type noise near the back. It almost sounds like it is coming from the passenger's rear door or maybe slightly behind that. It makes the noise when going over bumps but mostly when cornering. As soon as the vehicle tilts from one side to the other, it will make this popping sound.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what is the fix?

Thanks in advance!!

Old 09-23-2003, 11:20 AM

Dude,

I've noticed the same exact thing. I've never been able to figure it out. Anyone or are we just crazy?
Old 09-23-2003, 11:29 AM
Contributing Member

Do you have XREAS?
Old 09-23-2003, 01:33 PM

Is the roof rack tight? I was getting a popping, cracking noise inconsistently and the problem turned out to be a loose roof rack. Hope you figure out what is causing the noise.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:05 PM

My roof is tight and I have the SR5 (no X-REAS suspension). I notice it every morning why I take a corner near my house. Kinda of weird!
Old 09-23-2003, 03:10 PM

I think someone mentioned one of the rear seat latches being loose and causing noise during turns. He got it fixed and it was fine.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:53 PM

That be me...

Cool...I'm not the only one. I have been dealing with this for some time now. Yes, it does have to do with the seat latch. When you lock your seat in the upright position the seat lock latches onto a "U" hook on the body panel located a few inches from the passenger door. I have been to the dealerships a total of five times between two dealerships. Actually it has come to the point where on the head tech (shop foreman) works on my runner. A week and a half ago they took it in on a Thursday and gave me a rental. They had finally got it right! He said that the seat lock and the "U" hook were both loose and when the body flexes, it causes the latch to pop on the hook. It was PERFECT, for a week. I went over a speed bump Sunday, and it is back. What ever he tightened worked, but apparently it doesn't stay tightened. The runner didn't do this for a while after I bought it and it was fresh off the truck. It must have taken wear to make it come loose. Then they tighten it again and it remained still for a while until it took too many bumps and it came loose again. I am going to take it in this Thursday, or Saturday, and watch them tighten what ever it is that they tighten, so I can report more back. It will get louder and it will occur more frequently the more you let it go on. So if you all can take you trucks in and have your dealerships look at it so that maybe we can get a exact final fix that would be great. I don't want this to go on beyond my "bumper to bumper" and it still not be resolved. Besides this, I love this truck! Let me know what's up.:pat:
Old 09-24-2003, 04:52 AM

Someone else suggested some electrical tape around the latch, just a couple wraps around. I tried it, along with a shot of WD40 inside the mechanical part of the latch. It has been working fine for over a month now.
Old 09-25-2003, 02:17 PM

Is the noise CLEARLY coming from inside the truck? As a verteran of rattle issues on this truck you come to know there is a difference.

You may want to check to be sure it is not the plastic body work on the rear quarter panel popping.

Both my and a friends '03 Runners makes a popping sound from this exact area when making turns or at an angle (like turning up a parking garage ramp).

Since it is just creaking plastic the fix is pretty simple yet messy: spray a little silicone spray behind the plastic cladding behind the rear wheel well. It will stop the noise for a while or until you wash the truck a few times.

UB
Old 09-25-2003, 04:42 PM

Fixed again...

I took it in today. The said that the tighten the bolts on the inside latches and insulated the rear passenger trim panel. I took on a few hills to force the body to flex and there was no popping. It's definitely inside, take your truck in to the dealership.

Last edited by Yosmany; 09-25-2003 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-26-2003, 04:32 AM

Come to find out, the popping noise I was describing was coming from the rear seat latch (located a little lower than shoulder heigth when sitting in rear seat) and close to the rear passengers door. Its the same place others have described on this thread.

I tested this by putting the rear seat down, and to my surprise, no noise at all. As soon as I put it back up, the popping noise resumed.

I took the advice of someone else on this board and wrapped the u hook (the hook the rear seat upright hooks into) with blank electrical tape and placed a little lubricant in the hinge on the seat upright. So far, no noise.

Thanks for the great advice. Once again, the people on this board are a great help.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:50 AM

Re: Fixed again...

Originally posted by Yosmany
I took it in today. The said that the tighten the bolts on the inside latches and insulated the rear passenger trim panel. I took on a few hills to force the body to flex and there was no popping. It's definitely inside, take your truck in to the dealership.
Hmmm. I'll need to take another look and see if this is the real issue for me as well. It started a' poppin' again last night (funny enough). I got the part about the latches, but can you elaborate on which trim panel they insulated?
Old 09-26-2003, 12:09 PM

After a couple of attempts on mine (the popping turned into a squeaking noise you could hear over the stereo at highway speed with the sunroof open -- no joke) the dealership replaced the rear seat latch and the noise has not resumed.

However, I'm not declaring victory yet, because it took 1,500 miles to show up the first time.
Old 09-27-2003, 07:57 PM

Glad to hear about this I also have been trying to figure the noise
Old 09-28-2003, 12:47 PM

Yep...I was getting the same creaking noise. Sounded like a loose body panel. This morning, it was very noticable. I wrapped the U posts connected to the body on both sides with electrical tape and reset the rear seatbacks. So far, the noise is gone! I'll need to give it some more time but man...that was easy for such an annoying sound. Thx!!!!
Old 09-28-2003, 03:13 PM

Lube the seat belt componets??

Hmmmm,
Mine did this on the drivers side, but not as loud as you described, still have not figured out how to stop it, and but putting lubricant into it is something I would not do, since the latch is designed to lock under stress. Any lubricant in there increases the likely hood of it not functioning as it is required.
But thats just my thought.
My wife hates the seat belts, they always tighten up on her and she feels trapped sometimes. If you were to latch all your empty seats, maybe the popping noise will stop??
-Mike

Last edited by Inspectorgadgets; 09-28-2003 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-28-2003, 03:31 PM

I think it's the spare as I have rub marks on mine and have heard the sound a few times.