YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-05-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Where is the OBD port in 1994 4Runner

Thanks fellas

I've looked all over the under the driver side for the OBD port. I cannot seem to find it. I searched this forum, but no luck finding it. My sincere thank you.

I see a diagnostic cap on the passenger side right next to the fuse box in the engine area. Is this it?

I always been able to find OBD2 ports on the newer cars, but I understand this is an OBD - pre 1996. Will the port look similar to the OBD2 port?

3VZ-E

Going to smog check tomorrow.

Thank you in advanced
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Old 12-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #2

Click the image to open in full size.

somewhere under the hood - don't expect any info as useful as OBDII data

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
corax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:10 PM   #3

Timing and Diagnostic Check Connector location(s)
These are located on the driver's side inner fender on the earlier EFI trucks and 4Runners, later models had an integrated diagnostics box located on the passenger side of the engine bay, near the fuse box.

The small round connector at the top of the image below is the notorious "T" connector (location of the T and E1 terminals) for setting timing and checking ECU codes (circled in light blue):
On the 22RE, ignition timing is specified at 5BTDC with the above jumper installed and the idle speed set to around 750 PRM.
The larger round connector is some other test plug (circled in green) has the ECU O2 circuit test voltages, such as the Vf signal.
There is also a small round one-wire connector (not shown in the pictures below, mine has a black rubber cap) that has the O2 sensor voltage for testing purposes.

A: Overview of early engine
Diagnostic and Test Connectors B: Early model Fuel Pump Test
Connector w/ jumper installed

C: Later model TCCS Diagnostic Connector
(orange wire plugged into it) D: Later model box w/ Fuel Pump
(FP-B+) TestJumper installed
E: TCCS Diagnostic/Timing Jumper
(E1-TE1) terminal locations F:

[Click above for a larger image]

Note: On later model trucks, there is no separate fuel pump test connector, rather you have to use the diagnostic test connector (shown in photo C above) and follow the test procedure outlined in the Factory Service Manual, which involves jumpering the "Fp" and "B+" terminals (see photo D). The Timing/Diagnostic jumper terminals (E1 - TE1) are shown in photo E.

The underlying problem is most likely that the winding on the circuit opening relay (see schematic above) that is energized by the ECU STArt signal is not working properly. Lacking this signal to energize the fuel pump, I get no fuel pressure while starting, until enough air flows through the AFM to trip its fuel pump contact. I hope to get the CO relay checked out and hopefully this will correct the problem.
bryce_dielman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:06 AM   #4
Contributing Member

It's the diagnostic port under the hood, passenger side. You can short terminals E1 & TE1 & count the check engine light flashes for engine codes.
Click the image to open in full size.

Multipe FSMs!!!
EPIC 3VZE info thread
Cheap OEM Parts: www.toyotaofnewnan.com

TNRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:06 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
30, 4runner, 91, 94, check, computer, connector, diagnostic, ecu, engine, jumper, light, location, obd, obd2, plug, port, tccs, v6