86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Turbo Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Questions

Does anyone know where I can get an adjustible fuel pressure regulator?
Also what is the difference between the turbo oil pump and the naturally asperated pump?
Old 03-19-2007, 04:13 PM

a turbo oil pump is a higher flow than the regular version. Helps with the added flow through the turbo lines. The one that EB sells puts out 4% more oil than the std(not much, but I trust Ted), the one the DOA sells is a higher pressure pump(but no more volume).

did you check summitracing.com? They have all sorts of neat junk.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:06 PM

not sure exactly what you need for the fuel regulator - do you want an adjustable fuel management unit to increase fuel pressure with boost or a replacement adjustable regulator? the cheapest adjustable FMU is probably a cartech billet FMU (www.cartech.org). there's a seller on ebay that has them for $175 + cheap shipping. The Vortech super FMU is also adjustable and there's a procharger one as well but they cost more and from what I've heard are no better than the Cartech unit. I haven't got my cartech installed yet so I can't really give an opinion on how well it actually works.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil pumps:
The turbo pump is a higher volume pump. My understanding is that the pitch on the gears is different. I can't confirm visually.
You can tell the difference by the number of holes near the "half moon" shape on the pump. The turbo pump has 2 holes:

The only place (besides the dealer) I know to get the turbo pump:
http://22re.com

ASK before you buy. Most parts vendors sell the same pump for turbo and non-turbo.

Ideally the turbo pump and turbo engine cover should be matched, but they will function mismatched.

Rick at fullboogie.net sells a fuel pressure regulator that he says "bolts on" to the 22RE setup. Never used it or seen it. There are lots of ways it could be done.

Your truck already has an adjustable fuel regulator. It's just not setup to provide an increase in pressure beyond 100KPA (0 psi). IE - into boost.

What is it that you're trying to do?
Old 03-19-2007, 07:34 PM

I just bought a brand new fuel pressure regulator (adjustable), paid $39.95 for it, then found out I didn't need it. (weber carb swap) Let me know if you're interested.... I hate to see it just sit here, I'd feel a little better if it helped someone else out... Chrome plated with a gage...

Last edited by lftd_86_yota; 03-19-2007 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by lftd_86_yota
I just bought a brand new fuel pressure regulator (adjustable), paid $39.95 for it, then found out I didn't need it. (weber carb swap) Let me know if you're interested.... I hate to see it just sit here, I'd feel a little better if it helped someone else out... Chrome plated with a gage...

It's for EFI or carb?
Old 03-20-2007, 10:20 AM
Contributing Member

when you add a turbo to a non turbocharged vehicle, you typically have to add more fuel delivery capacity such as larger injectors, and larger fuel pump. with the pump is sometimes used a "rising rate fuel pressure regulator" designed to compensate between the injectors demand for fuel based on the MAF reading and the MAP reading, and the higher volume of fuel supplied by the high flow pump. if more fuel isn't added when you increase MAP by a few psi, you run the risk of detonation when the mixture leans out. The stock turbo probably isn't applying as much boost as an aftermarket kit, but keeping the air/fuel proper is a must no matter how much boost is applied. is the MAF sensor different on a turbo 22R? make sure yours is clean and accurate. replace the O2 sensors too if you havent in a while.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by 1995HILUX
when you add a turbo to a non turbocharged vehicle, you typically have to add more fuel delivery capacity such as larger injectors, and larger fuel pump. with the pump is sometimes used a "rising rate fuel pressure regulator" designed to compensate between the injectors demand for fuel based on the MAF reading and the MAP reading, and the higher volume of fuel supplied by the high flow pump. if more fuel isn't added when you increase MAP by a few psi, you run the risk of detonation when the mixture leans out. The stock turbo probably isn't applying as much boost as an aftermarket kit, but keeping the air/fuel proper is a must no matter how much boost is applied. is the MAF sensor different on a turbo 22R? make sure yours is clean and accurate. replace the O2 sensors too if you havent in a while.

There is no MAF sensor or MAP sensor on the 22R-series.
There is a swing-door type AFM, which is sometimes called a MAF sensor.

LC Engineering indicates that the 22RE can handle mild boost, I believe a peak of 5-6 psi if you retard timing. I've never seen documentation on what is required to do that to make sure it doesn't go lean. 6psi would wake up a 22RE, for sure.

The ways you've mentioned doing this are valid, however I'd caution against larger injectors as they'll impact fuel flow across the board, not just in boost. My vote would be the rising rate fuel pressure regulator with an in-cab wideband. I've seen alternate injectory piggy-back systems work on the 3.0L.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by dcg9381
It's for EFI or carb?
I believe it's universal
Old 03-20-2007, 03:29 PM

FMU's sit in the return line after your stock FPR. They're attached to a vacuum line that signals when the engine is in boost and then they restrict fuel flow in the line to raise the fuel pressure in the whole system and increase flow from the injectors (up to a point). I don't think this type of system will work with a carbed engine will it?
Old 03-20-2007, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by lftd_86_yota
I believe it's universal
They are not universal. A carb usually takes about 2-5 psi of pressure. EFI on the 22RE - 35-44. They're very different regulators.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:04 PM
Contributing Member

dcg, thanks for the enlightenment, i was wondering how the turbo 22 detected the amount of pressure in the manifold under boost situations. yes its a swing arm, but nearly universally referred to as a mass air flow sensor, which despite being of a swing arm design, is still essentially what it does.

i've turbocharged other (non toyota) vehicles but havent dealt with the stock 22RE-T yet. i remain curious as to what other changes were made aside from the oil pump.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:45 AM

We can agree - the purpose of that door/arm is to detect and determine the amount of air coming into the motor.

Other changes to the 22RTE (off the top of my head):
Pistons (low compression)
Block pre-drilled for oil feed/drain
Differences in the way coolant is routed external to the motor
Different clutch/flywheel
Old 03-21-2007, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by dcg9381
We can agree - the purpose of that door/arm is to detect and determine the amount of air coming into the motor.

Other changes to the 22RTE (off the top of my head):
Pistons (low compression)
Block pre-drilled for oil feed/drain
Differences in the way coolant is routed external to the motor
Different clutch/flywheel
It varies from 0-120 p.s.i, the set screw is VERY touchy