YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-17-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Stronger Front CV Axle??

Does anyone make a stronger front CV Axle? Cant really seem to find anything Granted the strongest upgrade would be a SAS but aint got all the $$$ for that...
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Old 02-17-2010, 09:59 PM   #2

You can always upgrade yours to something like this.

http://www.addictedoffroad.com/axles.html
Jacobeo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:02 PM   #3

That's for solid axle rigs^^^

I have heard of people using T100 CVs, I think.
Saggy Butt
thedanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedanned View Post
That's for solid axle rigs^^^

I have heard of people using T100 CVs, I think.
That's in long travel suspension IIRC, i think they are longer than pickup/4runner axle shafts...

Why are you wanting beefed up axle shafts?

Build Thread

89silverpu Fab PM me for Winch bolt lock security system, hand throttle kits, custom battery tie downs, cb mounts, jerry can mounts etc...

Tread Lightly

Mixchallenge.info

Last edited by 89silverpu; 02-17-2010 at 10:09 PM.
89silverpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:23 PM   #5
Contributing Member

eaklandc
Send a message via MSN to Tofer
the T100 axles are used when using long travel.. t100s are wider than the pickup/4runner so in order to maintain 4wd in a LT setup you need the longer cvs.

autozone has the cvs with a lifetime warranty for 70 bucks... when you break one, buy one new from autozone, you then can keep swapping them out as you break them getting it replaced for free. find one on CL for 20 bucks to keep on hand as a spare.

Rumor has is it ( i was talking to one of the writers for toyota 4wd owners magazine) there is a company out there that is currently developing a CV axle for the IFS rigs that compares to Longfields for strength and durability... i have no more information than that, but i'll let you know as soon i hear any more..

so quick anwser no, not yet. but something is coming soon.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

pacific-crawlers.com
Tofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:40 PM   #6

I think downey made a set.. something about a high angle..
but since they went down....
Old 02-18-2010, 12:59 AM   #7

The stock IFS drivetrain is designed so that the outer CV joint is the weakest link. The problem with beefing up the CV axles is that your weak link becomes your front diff. Its impractical to carry around a spare front diff. CV's are compact and take only ~1/2hr to replace* (as opposed to ~60lbs of front diff and a helper and/or a floor jack)

* if you've knocked out the studs from the drive flange on front diff

1987 Toyota LandCruiser HJ60 6 cyl. 2H diesel, 5spd, totally stock... for now

1990 Toyota 4Runner 22RE 5spd SOLD

1987 Toyota P/U, 2wd auto, 1 tonne SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Yeah, I do think it's sort of funny. Can't you see a roomful of Toyota engineers looking at a relay rod, scratching their heads and saying 'Hmmm, this part wore out after 200,000 miles and 16 years, this is just unacceptable.'

Last edited by Matt16; 02-18-2010 at 01:01 AM.
Matt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:45 AM   #8

Good Point Matt16. Never thought of it that way. My Passenger side inner CV went out due to a busted boot. So I figured Id beef em up while they were out, thats why I asked if anyone made any. Thanks for te help guys.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt16 View Post
The stock IFS drivetrain is designed so that the outer CV joint is the weakest link. The problem with beefing up the CV axles is that your weak link becomes your front diff. Its impractical to carry around a spare front diff. CV's are compact and take only ~1/2hr to replace* (as opposed to ~60lbs of front diff and a helper and/or a floor jack)

Granted that most of what you've said there is true. I have to interject with my personal experience in the matters above mentioned.
Click the image to open in full size.

Specifically, the weaker link in the chain, so to speak, is the passenger side stub shaft(IMO). Where the CV connects to the diff. See thread #1 and/or thread #2 here for proof. You'll see it's happened to a few others here besides me anyway.

BUT...I had that happen well before I finally blew up the only outer CV joint I've had fail. That was one of the original CV shafts from the factory, and it was over 20 years(>215,000 miles)old I might add! Hell...in actuality though, I'd already busted the ring & pinion twice, chewed the side gears out once, and snapped that stub shaft off the front diff before I ever had any CV troubles(except constantly leaking frk'n boots of course). So you are right about the diff itself being the other problem(I'd say the #1 problem, #2 the CV's).

If one had money to throw around one could custom fab up a _ord 9" IFS center. Then add the CV's of your choice. I seen one somebodies sellin' w/ the 9" diff included, but w/o CV's or frame mounts in Peterson's 4WD magazine a couple months ago. This was all I could find on the web about it, http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/0810.../photo_16.html

EDIT: x2 on getting those studs swapped out ASAP.
We're sorry, theYOTATECH member you have reached is temporarily out of order or is no longer in service. Please feel free to ask our many other highly informed members about your problem. Or try using the search feature to find the appropriate information by yourself, and solve the issue on your own. Thank you for choosingYOTATECH. Good bye.

I'm Cuckoo For YOTA Trucks!

Last edited by MudHippy; 02-19-2010 at 01:18 PM.
MudHippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:54 PM   #10
Contributing Member

eaklandc
Send a message via MSN to Tofer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt16 View Post
This does make changing the CVs WAY faster.. i am selling a kit do convert the diff. http://www.yotatech.com/f37/yotawork...feeler-204743/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

pacific-crawlers.com
Tofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:14 PM   #11

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Swear one day I'll tap a flange out and just grade 8 bolt the tripod to the flange... no nuts about it...

but I don't rock crawl, or care to, and put ridiculous tires on a ridiculous geared 7.5" front diff, so somebody else will have to do the destructo test on that one...

"In America, we like everyone to know about the good work we're doing anonymously. " J.Leno

Quote:
[On how to succeed in business] You outwork, outthink, outscheme and outmanuever. You make no friends. You trust nobody. And you make damn sure you're the smartest guy in the room whenever the subject of money comes up.
Want BFG 35/10.50's? click here

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 02-18-2010 at 05:18 PM.
tried4x2signN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tried4x2signN View Post
Swear one day I'll tap a flange out and just grade 8 bolt the tripod to the flange... no nuts about it...

but I don't rock crawl, or care to, and put ridiculous tires on a ridiculous geared 7.5" front diff, so somebody else will have to do the destructo test on that one...
meeeee my trucks high enough for 37-38's...i just gotta find the tires im planning on SAS'ing anyway so i could test em for ya

04' Dodge 2500 4x4 QC hemi leveled, home made CAI and flowmaster exhaust, DD
yoterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:58 PM   #13
tc
Contributing Member

There are upgraded custom CV shafts out there using Porsche joints, cromoly, etc, but for the cost, you can do a SAS multiple times over.
Previous - 89 2WD Pickup 22R, Fabtech "Ivan Dan" lift, 31x10.50, IASCA World Finals 4th Place

Stop with the mods and get on the trail!

Pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
tc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc View Post
There are upgraded custom CV shafts out there using Porsche joints, cromoly, etc, but for the cost, you can do a SAS multiple times over.
with this setup, you do use the same outer joint.

the porsche or lubro inner joints are not that strong either. ok... i broke mine when i was in 150:1 ratio and picked up some air in the front axle...

oh yeah, i broke the driver's side ADD inner axle stub too.

"stock" 90 4runner
ldivinag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #15

ldivinag

What show is your avatar from? I used to love that show!
Saggy Butt
thedanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:10 PM   #16

Duckman... Best cartoon ever... All 4 seasons now avail on DVD...

"stock" 90 4runner
ldivinag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #17

I have had good luck with remanufactured axles for my 4Runner as well as Volvo V70 from Axles Unlimited (www.axlesunlimitedinc.com). $50 each for my Yota, lifetime warranty, remanned Toyota axles not Chinese knock offs. They end up costing about the same as AutoZone after shipping, but UPS delivers them right to your front door.

HG's, valve job, water pump, t-stat, idler pulleys & timing belt @ 172,391 miles
Wrenchinjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:33 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
01, 4runner, 75, 90, axle, boot, civic, cv, diff, forum, ifs, replace, replacement, tacoma, toyota