Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

so is it just me or are v6 and 22re 4runners wired differently door?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 01:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so is it just me or are v6 and 22re 4runners wired differently door?

ok my story

got a 4runner had a bad drivers door.. got a replacment same color but from a v6... junk yard cut the harness.. so i cut mine the 22re and soldered all the correct wires.... NOTHING but shorts blown fuses and problems.... so i figured there is a short or i bunged it up..

so i go to the junk yard and take out a wiring harness get it home and the ENDS ARE DIFFERNT... the 4runner i got it from must have been a v6.
so now i have one cut to siring harness from my truck and and half a bad one and a full bad one....

i dont wanna go to the junk yrd finda 4 banger and have it be the came wrong ends.. do you want pics???

here you go

this first one is the 3 lugs that go under my dash

next one is one end that go under my dash and the different end of the v6

finally a pic of the whole v6 harness and my cut end

thanks to anyone in advance and while im posting pics heres some of my british sports car

Last edited by bigt; 11-29-2007 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice car. I don't know about those harnesses but I'm surprised that they every put 22re's in the 2nd gen. Thats a lot of weight to be moved by a 4 cylinder.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:04 PM

honestly with all the trouble of the 3.slows i love my 22re same engine that was in my 87 and ran 400km no rebuilt the body gave out b4 the engine... they build a bullit proof 4 banger
Old 11-29-2007, 02:28 PM

I'm not too sure about differences in the wiring harness for the door (power windows and locks?) between v6 and 4cyl, common sense dictates that stuff would be wired the same (and how often is common sense right?)

but:

I know that some of the harnesses are colored differently from year to year,

so it could be that the door you have came off a different year (in which case you need a wiring diagram for that year, and one for your year to sort it all out)

or tear both doors apart, and figure out what wire goes where on the old one, and how that matches up to the stuff on your new one

One last solution:

rip all the crap out of your old door, and put it in the new door, then hook everything back up to your original harness, and your done
Old 11-29-2007, 02:34 PM

proglem is i cut the old harness to match the new one tghat was cut in the door when i got it
Old 11-29-2007, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member

In agreement that the changes are due to the year and not the engine size. There will be some color changes in the wiring from year to year, also there will be a difference in options ( master window control, door locks, mirrors ect). At this point your best option is to match the same year harness or maybe someone has FSM's for both years to help match each wire to the proper connector slot. Sorry I can't help further, I've been down that road myself. IFYP
Old 11-29-2007, 02:57 PM

these would be your only options then:

Tear both doors apart, and figure out what wire goes where on the old one, and how that matches up to the stuff on your new one and hook the wires up accordingly

Or:

take all the stuff out of your old door, put it in all the "new one" and reconnect your cut harness on your truck, just like it was before you cut it

either one is alot of work, and both may still leave you with a problem if there is a short somewhere, but you said that nothing works, so I would assume that almost everything is hooked up wrong, instead of just one or a couple shorts

(and next time: anything that you are pulling out or replacing, and want to cut wires: cut the harness on the "part" side of the "plug" or "disconnects" and not on the "truck" side, this is what the junk yard did so they could keep all of the "main" harness, and you get the cut end)
Old 11-29-2007, 02:57 PM

looks like you've got some soldering ahead
Old 11-29-2007, 06:14 PM

haha yup good thing i god lots of shrink rap solder and crimp wire ends..im gonna hit the junk yard again find the same year and pay the 15 bucks to take another one...the problem is the ends are different like they went to a different company for harnesses...good part is i can take a few other little parts off when im there..what im afraid of the door since its off a differnt year and maybe engine that when i get my same year harness to match up to my truck that the ends that plug into the door are not the same cuz they need the new ends.... i really hope that isnt the case because if it is i DO have a friday night date with my yota again