86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

running rich

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation running rich

well i have a prolbum with my 91 3vze i just pulled the heads on it and did a valve jobs on both head and found 2 burnt valves and i ajusted tha valves and new head gaskets i had the heads milled down flat and the block was flat all the way across got it all back togather and ran fine but the tail pipe is as black as can be so replaced the 02 sencer and nothing i pulled the plugs and did a compression test i had 150psi + on all cyclinders all the plugs were white color like a new plug i regaped them. the truck has new car rotor wires put in about 5 months ago. my truck is sucking gas like nothing sence ive done the heads. i replaced the fuel filter when i did the cap and whires. now could the truck be stuck in choke mode my the computure. my guess would be that. the truck is running in choke mode causing the truck to run rich the truck shakes so much when it is ideling. the timing is ajusted right and the cams are in time.

is there a way to reset the coumputure or not. anyimput would be helpful. and i know do a 3.4 swap well im planing to do maby if i can get the money im still in high school and work a miller toyota dealership in va and like all the guys that work there are all stuck up and s and dont want to help me work on my truck and fix it they just say sell it and buy a new one.
thanks again
dirtpup
Old 03-19-2008, 07:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you have a vacuum leak or maybe your cold start injector is constantly on while driving. Ive seen cold start injectors leak all the time causing rich conditions
Old 03-19-2008, 08:34 PM

I'm not sure about re-setting ECM''s on an OBD1 truck, but The later OBD2 computers you could reset the fuel trim. Matbe someone else on here knows.

Burnt valves are a good indicator of improper ignition timing or over tightened valves. Make sure you are at base timing when checking.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:57 AM

the truck as of right now is set on 10deg on btdc and it runs fine but this thing is just killing me in fuel milages sences ive done the heads. whats the best way to check to see if the cold start injector is stuck on. check it with an ohms meter and see from there.

also i was reading in the book last week and theres a vsv valve conected in serires with the fuel passage so some where i cant rember right now but if that vsv valve has an ajustemnt could that be a prolbum if someone messed with that.

could there be a few bad injectors beacouse when i put new o rings and gromments on them one of the green caps on the end of the injector was misssing rom it could that be a prolbum.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:20 AM

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...88coldstar.pdf

Try this?
Old 03-20-2008, 07:18 PM

hey thanks well i tested the coldstart injector today and i took it out with the motor worm and i put it in a can and turned the key on with the wire conected and it was spraying or dripping so its good the onley thing i know it could be is the injectors one tech guy who i talked to today who works at the used car lot down the street sayed thay had many of prolbums with the injectors in the 3.0 so im thinking of replacing them so make sure they are good to go. with aftermarket ones sence stock ones are $118 new my cost.

Last edited by dirtpup; 03-21-2008 at 07:06 PM.