Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rolled her :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea it sucks man. rolled mine a few months ago and i will say that was probably the worst day of my life, I even cried. Its probably a little easier to replace a truck cab rather than the whole body on a 4R but I'm sure you can do it. Found a cab in a junk yard, switched every little thing from my cab so basiclly everything is the same except the sheet metal and while you have it apart, its a good time to pick the paint color you want. Only part I've bought is a fender and Im back to drivin it everyday just like I did a few months ago, but I still got alot of stuff to put on it and I wont get it painted till the warmer months
Old 03-30-2011, 07:30 PM

is the pic larger in your view
Old 03-30-2011, 07:32 PM

i tried
Old 03-31-2011, 12:27 AM

sounds good guys. I appreciate all the answers .

Wheeler, it was definitely not the highlight of my driving experience. Actually only the second car I have had an accident with (the first being a highlander, that i fell asleep at the wheel with on the freeway, talk about a scary ride). Just happy that no one was hurt, and the the truck is actually repairable.

I was about a week or two away from painting the whole rig, via the roll on rustoleum. Guess now ill go ahead and undercoat the new body, and clean up that frame.

When taking out the shattered windshield off the old cab, it looks like the body was pretty much toast. Rusted completely through a few parts where the glass sealed to the body. (no everywhere in socal is rust-free), so i may end up in a better situation than i was before.

Shaun-.....not sure what you are referring to?
Old 03-31-2011, 12:06 PM

Im lucky I didnt even get hurt at all, but it didnt bend the frame and the roll bar actually worked, most people say you have to bolt it to the frame, but mine was just bolted to the bed with good sized bolts and it helped, it actually dented the bar in 2 places but theres not much to say about the fog lights

Last edited by WHEELER8688; 03-31-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
since we are posting pics of flops..

Have a good time swapping it out! good times..

flopped

Old 03-31-2011, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
You were asking about the frame and VIN on the body. Im not sure about California, but here in Missouri as long as you have a frame that is legal, ( I got mine from a salvage yard and they have to have titles and send title info to them when they crush) they just register the VIN on the body. I would just keep your title to your old frame and get a title to your new body. You will still need to check DMV.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:47 PM

So picked up the new body today. And got to say I am extremely happy. The pics don't do it justice, but this cab is nearly flawless. no dents, minor rust around the battery tray only, even the windshield and door glass looks great.
Should be a great replacement for my old rusty (and now crushed cab).

Wish I had some more free time to start working on this beast, but Ill keep updating as i go.

Plan on undercoating the whole body, as well as the engine bay, new carpet, and of course a fresh coat of paint (probably a roll on job).

BTW...found the truck on toyota-4runner forum under classifieds. Located out in Lancaster CA, and David was a really nice guy, and had alot of parts left over if anyone is interested. (it was an 89 v6 /at)

Looking at my origional body, I was probably better off replacing the body anyway, the windshield frame was rusted through in quite a few places, as well as some wheel well rust.
Attached Thumbnails Rolled her :(-img_0577.jpg   Rolled her :(-img_0574.jpg   Rolled her :(-img_0578.jpg  
Old 04-01-2011, 07:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looks like your gonna have some fun!

wish i could help.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:48 PM

Just an update.

So....there is alot of parts on these things aren't there?

Finally got the old cab off, and nearly stripped down. Went ahead and cleaned up most of the frame, and put a layer of rust reformer and rustoleum paint over it to kill the rust. Cut out the tunnel of the new body. made the holes for the clutch master cylinder. swapped a clutch line braket to the new body. And now its ready to be installed onto the frame.

A note to anybody attempting a swap from an older body style to an 89. Toyota changed the parking brake design in 89 to have the button type style that the 90-95 4runners and trucks have. so youll just need to source that out, I think they are all the same from 89-95...but not sure yet..havn't found one for mine yet. The main body harnesses are slightly different as well. I wasn't planning on using the newer one (especially since mines an manual, and the donor body is a at) but i noticed some of the connectors changed styles.

It is probably an opertune time to get some of the basic maintence done as well. Alot easier to get to the fuel filter, and even clutch without that pesky body on. My clutch and tranny were nearly new, but i did take the time to scrub off the 20+ years of road grime and grease it had collected. much much nicer to look at and to work on now . I also took the time to do the alternator upgrade that I had been waiting to do for a few months now. I also ordered a new vinyl floor, and am preping the body for paint.

Well this tread is useless without some pics huh...

Last edited by Wreel; 05-03-2011 at 06:50 PM.