Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

removing bed from frame

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
removing bed from frame

I am taking the bed off the frame to check out my fuel/brake lines and the fuel tank so I can buy some parts this week and do some work over the 4th of July.

I got all the bolts off (to take the bed off) except the bolt behind the passenger side wheel. However the bolt is held in there to keep from spinning (to allow you to get the nuts loose) is not working since the nut and bolt spin freely.

Any ideas how to get the nut off the bolt? I may have to cut it, which I would do except I do not have a good cutting tool for this on hand.

I have gotten the nut down to the ends of the threads, so I am pretty close to getting it off. I used the jack to lift the bed and I have about a half-inch of slack to use if I need to cut the bolt.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(I have gotten the nut down to the ends of the threads, so I am pretty close to getting it off. I used the jack to lift the bed and I have about a half-inch of slack to use if I need to cut the bolt.[/QUOTE]

get some visegrip pliars or just get a sawzall
Old 06-28-2008, 06:02 PM

I had no luck doing a bed I had. I had to cut holes in the floor of the bed to get the bolts out. Canada for ya......
Old 06-29-2008, 04:07 PM

all but one were easy. The sawzall took care of that one.

I have read on here about the bed being a 2-person lift. You guys must be like (R)nold. My brother and I were smoked just getting it half off. I just wanted to see the fuel tank and lines (to check their condition) then we put the bed back on.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PCE91V64x4
I have gotten the nut down to the ends of the threads, so I am pretty close to getting it off. I used the jack to lift the bed and I have about a half-inch of slack to use if I need to cut the bolt.
I had the same problem with one bolt directly behind the cab on the pass. side. Just jack up the bed and use a sawzall. It's what I did and it was quick. While your under there have a look at your spare tire carrier (if you use it).

Last edited by HAVOC; 06-29-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by PCE91V64x4
all but one were easy. The sawzall took care of that one.

I have read on here about the bed being a 2-person lift. You guys must be like (R)nold. My brother and I were smoked just getting it half off. I just wanted to see the fuel tank and lines (to check their condition) then we put the bed back on.
My brother and myself had the bed off my 93 in 15 minutes. It probably doesn't weigh more than 200lbs or so.

Be careful of the fuel tank filler when you take the bed off.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:04 PM

I am going to replace the spare tire carrier over the 4th of July when I take the bed off again (this time it was just temporary). I am going to the dealer tomorrow to get a fuel pump braket, fuel lines, replacement hardware to mount the bed to the frame and some various other stuff.

For the spare tire carrier, I am going to take off the stock unit and replace it with the spare wheel carrier off of a new Tundra. I will post some pictures once I paint the frame, bed and install the new parts.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:06 AM

What are you painting the frame with?

I had my bed off to paint my frame with Por 15 a few months ago. Couldn't be happier with it.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:21 AM

I cut every single bolt on mine with the sawzall

I think the dealership wanted around $10 a bolt? I had a local guy cut me a handful of tabs on a CNC plasma machine that matched the factory tabs. Then I picked up some half inch bolts and welded them to the tabs.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:42 AM

how about using a wrench on both ends if the nut and bolt are spinning?

cut it weld it to the frame and get the bolt off cut it with a saw or something im not sure i dont have a pick ups truck i got a runner but same thing the way me and my buddy got his bed off was we cut holes in the sides of the box chained it to a tree and put the pedeal to the metal lets just say the box and us didnt know what hit us then we saw mom after words it hurt!!!!
Old 07-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by just a 22re
how about using a wrench on both ends if the nut and bolt are spinning?

cut it weld it to the frame and get the bolt off cut it with a saw or something im not sure i dont have a pick ups truck i got a runner but same thing the way me and my buddy got his bed off was we cut holes in the sides of the box chained it to a tree and put the pedeal to the metal lets just say the box and us didnt know what hit us then we saw mom after words it hurt!!!!
Problem is the factory bed bolts have no hex head on them. Rather just a sort of flat head with a tab pressed on to keep the from spinning inside the bed rails. Since the bolt likely broke free of the tab, cutting may be the only way unless you can get a pair of vice grips or similar on the head.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:55 AM

ah ok now i get it then try the way me and my buddy did it a wile back find a nice big tree and chain it up!! lol or cut it off that might work to
Old 07-02-2008, 05:47 PM

I bought some rust converter and chasis black paint for the frame from a local automotive paint supply shop. I am going to use the rust converter as well under the bed and cover that with Rustoleum primer and paint. Overall for a 17 year old truck I cannot believe how little rust there is, considering how most similar trucks around my area seem to be completely rusted out.

I picked up my parts at the dealer today. The bolt that holds the bed to the frame is over $8(!). I will admit to being a Toyota employee, so my purchases added up to $143 (employee price) for the fuel pump bracket (screws and gasket also), two fuel lines and miscellaneous bolts and fasteners. The fuel pump bracket alone was $131 list price.

I already had the Tundra spare wheel carrier so I am not sure what that cost at the dealer but I am looking forward to storing my spare under the bed again.