Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Question regarding timing....

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question regarding timing..... E,R,P vacum lines on throttle body

I set my timing advance to 15 , with TE1 and E1 connected.
After i remove the TE1 E1 connection, my timing is only 10 .

I read here on forum, that if you remove the TE1-E1 connection in check connector , the timing jumps up, not down.

It is normal to have a smaller timing with TE1-E1 disconnected ?

An other problem, i not have any error code, the engine light blinks normally, but if i press the throttle it throws code 51.
Not found what is this code 51.

Thanks
Zoli

Last edited by zozoka; 12-14-2007 at 06:14 AM.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Service jumper retards the timing or kills the advance. So, follow the factory guidelines which I think are 5-10 degrees initial advance with jumper on.

If you induce too much timing, the 22re motor will detect the pinging and kill your advance and power really bad.

Go back and fix your timing.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:41 PM

Sorry.
Forgot to mention it is 3.0 3VZE
Old 12-11-2007, 04:09 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Error codes:
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/codes/index.html

The code 51 could be related to your TPS, which would explain your problem. Set the timing back to factory spec and see what happens then. If it's even lower then, test your throttle sensor. If it tests fine, test the wiring terminals at the ECM to make sure you're getting proper signal. If when you set the timing back to factory and the timing advances as it should, you may not be able to advance it as much as you are attempting..15 btdc..for whatever reason.

One thing that confuses me is your last statement:

Originally Posted by zozoka

An other problem, i not have any error code, the engine light blinks normally, but if i press the throttle it throws code 51.
I don't see how this is possible. If the ECM detects an error, it should have a stored code. Unless the vehicles across the seas are designed differently? Or your ECM is developing problems. Or for some reason the connections at the ECM are not good.

Is the vacuum line at the throttle opener intact?
Old 12-11-2007, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by thook
Error codes:
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/codes/index.html

The code 51 could be related to your TPS, which would explain your problem. Set the timing back to factory spec and see what happens then. If it's even lower then, test your throttle sensor. If it tests fine, test the wiring terminals at the ECM to make sure you're getting proper signal. If when you set the timing back to factory and the timing advances as it should, you may not be able to advance it as much as you are attempting..15 btdc..for whatever reason.

One thing that confuses me is your last statement:

I don't see how this is possible. If the ECM detects an error, it should have a stored code. Unless the vehicles across the seas are designed differently? Or your ECM is developing problems. Or for some reason the connections at the ECM are not good.

Is the vacuum line at the throttle opener intact?

If i connect the terminals in the check connector, the engine light blinks normally , like i not having any error code , but if i press even a little the throttle, it blinks out the code 51.
If i release the throttle, it blinks again normally, like no error code.

Last edited by zozoka; 12-11-2007 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by zozoka
If i connect the terminals in the check connector, the engine light blinks normally , like i not having any error code , but if i press even a little the throttle, it blinks out the code 51.
If i release the throttle, it blinks again normally, like no error code.
I take your word for it, and I understood what you were saying the first time. It's just that I've never heard of the diagnostics doing that. It's a new one on me, and I don't understand how or why. Unless, like I said, your ECM is starting to blink out on you. But, don't jump to any conclusions on that. I'll make a phone call tomorrow at some point to my friend that works at dealer nearby and see if he has any insight. That is if nobody else chimes in first.

But, just so I'm clear when I'll make the call, did it just start doing this when after you advanced the timing? And why did you advance the timing to begin with? I know why a lot of people do....for a little more power...but, do you have different reason? And have you been able to check the connections and signal at the ECM, yet?
Old 12-12-2007, 12:33 AM

Thanks Thook for your help.

Well my problem is with the MPG .
I only get about 9.4 MPG in city , wich i think it is not normal.
I run 33x12.5x15 tires, regeared to 4.88 , and checked with GPS....my speedo is correct.

I try to describe again the error code what i receive (sorry if my english is not to good).

Normally the car not shows any error code.
When i connect the TE1-E1 terminals , the engine light start blinking (flash steady, whitout showing any code).
If i press the throttle , it blinks out the code 51.
If i release the throttle , the code 51 went off, and begin to flash steady.
The same thing happens (code 51) , when AC - on , if AC - off again flash steady.

I already changed O2 sensor, distributor cap, spark plugs (NGK) , air filter, everything, but my MPG not changed.
An other thing what i observed - the exhaust smoke has a weird smell, and also is extremly hot .....maybe my cat need to be exchanged ? But i don't think the cat has such a big influence on MPG.

Thanks
Zoli
Old 12-12-2007, 12:46 AM

Yeah, a clogged cat would have an affect on mileage. Also, cylinder and valve damage. You ought to check that out, if it does seem extremely hot to you. Do you have an O2 sensor after the cat?

Like I said, I'll make a call tomorrow. That code thing is odd to me.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:06 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Hold on...back the truck up.

The code 51 when you press the accelerator with the diagnostic terminals jumped is PERFECTLY NORMAL OPERATION!

Think about it, when you do that you are moving the IDL contact in the TPS. You should only have to move it .080" to get that code, a gentle touch on the accelerator will do more than that in most cases.

The reason it does it when you turn on the AC is because that actuates the vacuum throttle opener. Which opens the throttle a bit to raise the idle when you run your AC. Also NORMAL OPERATION!

Last edited by MudHippy; 12-12-2007 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:08 PM

Thanks Mudhippy.

Today i checked in the FSM , and tested the 3 vacum lines ( E R P ) from the TB .
At idling , no vacum on the E R P lines (correct ).
At 3500 rpm , i have vacum on E and P , but still no vacum on R , wich is not correct, FSM say vacum on all 3.

It is possible to have dirt in vacum pipe R , and that's why no vacum at 3500 rpm ?

Tomorrow i will remove the TB for cleaning....

Zoli
Old 12-14-2007, 06:16 AM

Cleaned the TB today, cleaned the E,R,P vacum lines on the body ,but still no vacum at 3500 rpm on vacum line R.....

Can be the TB faulty ?