Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

procomp AALs installed- PISSED

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
procomp AALs installed- PISSED

LONG STORY: been sitting home all day waiting on UPS to deliver my AALs, finally at 6:30 as i sit down for dinner the ups truck pulls up and drops em off, (luckly i spend the day tearing everything apart so I only had to put everything together)

finished dinner, put the one side on and figured i might as well finish up tomorrow since it was getting dark, got the truck situated with the tires back on, with the AAL only on one side and got out the measuring tape... THE DAMN SPRING ONLY RAISED THE TUCK 1/2" COMPARED TO THE OTHER SIDE!
they advertise these things as 1.5-2.5" lift, it only got .5" out of em

the front of the truck sits 1.5-2" higher than the rear still!!! but after looking on here, apparently the guy before me must have cranked the torsion bars, cuz the front is higher than stock

SHORT STORY: only had time to put the AALs on one side of the truck and they only added .5" compared to the side without the leaf installed yet

these are the measurements:

EDIT: maybe the whole rear will raise when both sides are done? or should i remove one of the stock springs from each side to allow the AAL less resistance to arch? idk, i just want this damn thing to fit 33s! lol

Last edited by greatskiiiier; 08-11-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:04 PM

I'd probably put the other one on and see how it sits first. I put some procomp AAL's in my old 87 4Runner and it raised it more than a half of an inch for sure. But then it settled a little bit
Old 08-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Banned

just moved the AAL from being the second to the bottom (overload spring only one below it) so 3rd from the bottom, so its basically between the 2 springs attached to the hangers and the 1 spring that has the steal clamp things on either side to stop the springs from shifting

bumped up the lift to stock height :-) still dont know if its ganna be high enough for 33s though :-/
Old 08-12-2010, 04:45 PM

I thought the idea of an add a leaf was to thicken the spring pack by the amount of the AAL but also the arch of it cradles the rest of the leaves and puts more of an arch into the rest of the spring pack (if that made any sense).

I started writing this because I thought sticking the AAL higher in the leaf pack would be counter productive in adding lift, but I guess if its gotta coax less leaves into a higher arch the end result is more arch and more lift. Or maybe I'm on crack.

greatskiiiier, we really gotta wheel sometime soon. I have off thursdays but I go back up to VT in three weeks.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:55 PM

if your stock pack is shot, there is only so much a AAL will do, shouldve done ZUK mod (cheap), or bought new springs altogether, not a fan of procomp or aal
Old 08-12-2010, 05:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you only got .5" out of your pro comp aal's??? i got a full 3" out of mine
Old 08-12-2010, 05:26 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I just installed the same add a leafs on my 82 and I got at least 1.75 inches if not 2". I finished up the front with OME leafs and the front was way up compared to the saggy stockers. After I finished the rear the truck is now level and looks great.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by flashkl
I thought the idea of an add a leaf was to thicken the spring pack by the amount of the AAL but also the arch of it cradles the rest of the leaves and puts more of an arch into the rest of the spring pack (if that made any sense).

I started writing this because I thought sticking the AAL higher in the leaf pack would be counter productive in adding lift, but I guess if its gotta coax less leaves into a higher arch the end result is more arch and more lift. Or maybe I'm on crack.

greatskiiiier, we really gotta wheel sometime soon. I have off thursdays but I go back up to VT in three weeks.
your theory is correct lol, i know, i sold my black yota, made $2500 on it.. this truck wont be on the road for another week or so and then ill be going back upstate on the 24th

back to the topic at hand, how many stock springs are there suppose to be? i have 3 plus the procomp, and an overload springs

EDIT: maybe i got more than .5" of lift, i just measured one side with the aal and the other side before it was installed, maybe the side the the aal raised the whole rear but raised the one side .5" more causing my measurements to be inaccurate? either way the whole truck sits at 14-14.5" from rim to fender now so its all good

Last edited by greatskiiiier; 08-12-2010 at 06:07 PM.