Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pittman/ Idler arm needs replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so, after reading about those, i think they might be exactly what i need. i dont have any installed at the moment, but it looks to me like a spacer could get my camber back to were it needs to be
Old 01-18-2011, 02:08 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
if you have to use ball joint spacers to get your camber corrected then there is something bent under there and you should really get it fixed. There is no reason why you have to add anything to these truck to fix the camber. The OEM adjusters should work fine as long as you don't have your torsion bars cranked. If you don't know if they are or are not or what they are, chances are they are not cranked.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
if you have to use ball joint spacers to get your camber corrected then there is something bent under there and you should really get it fixed. There is no reason why you have to add anything to these truck to fix the camber. The OEM adjusters should work fine as long as you don't have your torsion bars cranked. If you don't know if they are or are not or what they are, chances are they are not cranked.
If anything ball joint spacers make it more difficult to set the camber correctly, hence the question. I wasn't implying that they would correct his camber problem. Anyway...

Camber problems are typically caused by worn ball joints or the combination of ball joint spacers and cranked torsion bars. There is a ton of info/pics on here if you don't know what ball joints are. The less likely but certainly possible issue would be bent parts.

Last edited by BMcEL; 01-18-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:53 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by kvanmet
Hello. i am new to this forum. im not sure if i should be posting here but this is my problem: i have an 86 4runner, just bought it. the camber is off in both the front tires (negative camber). i took it for an alignment thinking that was what i needed, the dbag gave me some run around about how he couldnt do it but also suggested that i replace the idler's. since i knew the bearing was loose in the front right, i replaced it; this fixed some of the camber problem but it is still off. so i guess my question is, will replacing teh idler arms fix me up?
i hope you got your $ back on that alignment since they didn't do anything. if the alignment tech couldn't get the camber fixed then it sounds like something is bent. i would suggest taking some measurements of your front-end so we can better help you.

take a measurement from the center of the hubs to the bottom of the fenders on the front end. this will help figure out the position of your torsion bars. if someone has loosened up your t-bars, then it could possibly cause negative camber since loosening them pulls the top of the tire inward, lowers the front end and softens the ride. they would have had to loosen them up considerably to not be able to align the camber, and the front end would be very soft and probably hit the compression bump stops quite often. cranking them would push the top of the tire away from the truck, thus giving positive camber, added height and a stiffer ride. most people don't touch them unless necessary, but don't rule it out until you take some measurements.

another good measurement to take is to measure the distance between your lower control arms - it should be somewhere in the 16-17" range. any wider than maybe 17" would mean that they have spread apart most likely due to someone jumping the truck and a hard landing. this is why there are aftermarket IFS braces/LCA truss available for our rigs. my guess is that this is your issue.

check all ball joints for wear as well. worn upper BJs could be the problem too.

i would definitely start by taking those measurements and seeing if your suspension is within spec. if not, then you need to think of solutions to getting those wheels vertical again. BJ spacers will give positive camber after installed, so they COULD help get within spec, but like xxxtreme22r stated - it'll get you there, but something's bent if you NEED them. if your LCAs are in fact spread apart, then you'll have to address that. i dunno how, but I doubt some bar clamps would pull it together with enough force. maybe someone else has better suggestions on what to look at, but those are where i'd start.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:43 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcel
If anything ball joint spacers make it more difficult to set the camber correctly, hence the question. I wasn't implying that they would correct his camber problem. Anyway...

Camber problems are typically caused by worn ball joints or the combination of ball joint spacers and cranked torsion bars. There is a ton of info/pics on here if you don't know what ball joints are. The less likely but certainly possible issue would be bent parts.
my reply was meant more towards kvanmet in which said he might need them.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
my reply was meant more towards kvanmet in which said he might need them.
I kind of figured that after I re-read it lol.

Last edited by BMcEL; 01-18-2011 at 08:38 PM.