Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

oil pan gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question oil pan gasket replacement

Hi guys,
I'm new here, but not new to turning a wrench. A buddy has bought his son a 94 yota ext cab 4x4 5spd. The truck runs like a top with 210,000 miles on it. It just needs a bit of TLC to be a nice ride. We have a year before he is 16 to get it into shape. The yota place his going to do the head gasket recall on it, and whatever the front end thing is. We are in the process of restoring the rear brakes and bearings to new condition. The bearing is a pain even with the tool we made, so the axle has been taken to the 4x4 shop that says they can replace it.
There are a few oil leaks around the engine. It looks like valve covers and/or the oil pan to me. Are there any area's other than these prone to leaks in these trucks? I'm assuming when the head gasket it done they will replace all the gaskets from heads, up!! How hard is it to replace the oil pan gasket with the engine still in the truck? raise engine and lower the front axle? Any key steps here I need to know about?
Thanks in advance,

Chuck
Old 03-31-2006, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The oil pan gasket is fairly easy to replace as long as you have a dozen or so differant extension and angle adapter as the Diff gets in the way.

Use a cork gasket and put a bead of silicon all the way around to "glue"the gasket to the block than attach the oil pan (Saves you running the gasket trust me on that one" also be quite liberal on the sealant near the front of the block.

Just my 2 cents

Edit
what engine is in the truck ? V6 4 banger ??
Old 03-31-2006, 12:56 PM
Contributing Member

check...the rear main seal is more prone to leak than the oil pan gaskets
Old 03-31-2006, 01:34 PM
Contributing Member

I agree with dwh91102, the main is more common. Still, the pan gasket can leak. I personally dislike cork gaskets. I'd much rather have anything else. I won't get into preferences on sealants because that is a can or worms. If you need some sealant suggestions just PM for mine.

If you're having leaks all over, be sure and check that your PCV valve is functioning well. Unmanaged crank case pressures can wreak havoc on passive gaskets like an oil pan or valve cover.

If you want to make sure, buy some engine oil dye and a black light. Clean everything up real well with a few cans of brake clean, run the motor with the dye, and check with the black light until you find the source. Sometimes this can take some time if the leak is really slow, so you may want to drive it for a day, then check back again. Good luck.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:00 PM

Thanks for all the quick replys guys. We are still putting the back axle together at the moment, but after that and the rear brakes, the oil leak is the next step. He needs to get the head gasket recall done on this truck. Should we wait and let them do that first? Or test and try the oil pan first?
Is it possible to get the pan completly out of the truck? Or does it just drop down?

I don't usually use any sealant unless it's a water pump. I usually just put a little grease on it to make it soft. But yes, a can of worms!!!!

chuck
Old 03-31-2006, 06:43 PM

Interestingly, I had this question about my 1UZ oilpan reassembly. I was told by a few folks to use the Toyota black FIPG gasket maker. (one of those folks is a Lexus tech BTW). That's what I'll be using.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:48 PM
Contributing Member

I've just gone with some RTV gray sealant along with the cork gasket. I like the added security of not having to deal with a leak after all is said and done.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:46 AM

So you guys were able to change the gasket on the pan while the engine was still in the truck?
C-
Old 04-03-2006, 11:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Chuky66
So you guys were able to change the gasket on the pan while the engine was still in the truck?
C-

Yeah. If you don't have a lift on the truck, 4" I believe is the minumum needed, then you just drop the front differential, then unbolt the 16 or 17 oil pan bolts and slide it out from under the truck.

If you have a lift, then you can just unbolt the oil pan, and slide it out.

Just make sure you get all the old off before you put the new on.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Chuky66
C-

Or unbolt the engine mounts and jack the engine up 3 inches.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:45 PM

If it's toward the front of the oilpan, it could be the oil pump. I had that problem. Replaced the oil pan gasket and leaked shortly there after. Turned out being the oil pump orings or whatever they are.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:20 PM

Thanks guys!!
I'm sending this board to my buddy that bought the truck so he and his son can read info for themselves. They use mine and my dad's shop, and I helpout when they have questions, but they are a team doing this truck together. I'm just glad to give'em a place to work. His son if 15, so they have a year to get it in shape. Buddy and I will make it dependable, and he and his son will do all the add-ons his son buys. His mom works for TxDOT so it will have to be a safe dependable ride or she will hit the roof because she hears all the bad statistics on our roads!!!!
I'm sure we will be asking more questions, and hopefully in time be able to pass some info along as y'all have.
thanks
C-