86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3.0 Valve shims ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0 Valve shims ?

During my blown HG replacement (go figure #6)in my haste to look and see if there was any head damage I had a brain fart and turned the head over to far.Yes resulting in 3 of the buckets falling out.While apart I was going to be checking the valve clearances anyway.BTW the heads aren't warped and every thing looks good.My question is that if by chance the measurements turn out ok for where I put the buckets back in do I have to worry about a wear pattern on the shim from the cam.If so then could I just put in new appropriate sized shims.Are these shims avail at auto parts stores or are they a toy parts dealer item only.I also can't seem to pop the shims out.Dose the valve and spring pressure help pop them out when the cam is in and you pry the buckets down.Would I also be able to just turn the cam by the cam pully with a belt wrench till the small end of the lobe is pointing up to do measurements.I have a service man but don't have ss tools and like short cuts.Thanks
Old 04-02-2006, 11:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whoa. Yes you should worry about wear on the shim, no dished shims and don't flip them over either. I'd check my cam if I saw excessive wear on the shim. You should be able to get the shims at different places (maybe a machine shop), but Toyota probably has them in stock. Just depends on how much of a rush you're in.

I don't understand your question about the valve and spring popping out the shim/bucket. If you have the cam removed, this should be relatively simple.

Checking measurements can be done off the engine certainly, but just make sure you have the cam bearings torqued down before doing this so your measurements will be accurate.

How do you know the valves on #6 are okay? Did you take the head to a machine shop? Did you flow test it at home?
Old 04-02-2006, 02:26 PM

To be more specific.#1 I am concerned that I did not get the buckets back in their original places.That if I didn't,but by chance the valve clearance is ok when I check them later.Do I have to worry about the shims having been on another cam lobe.I have checked the ones in question with a stright edge and they are not dished.#2 The nearest Yota dealer is over 1hr away.Hence the local NAPA or other.#3 About the valve and spring.I can't seem to get the shim to pop out of the bucket with the bucket in hand.So I was wondering after I install everything will the pressure of the valve and spring pushing up on the bottom of the shim help pop the spring out of the bucket when I pry down on the bucket.Thats if I have to change the shim after measuring.#4 The heads and cam will be installed and torqued like normal but without the timing belt on.#5 The 4Run was running fine before the HG blew.I did a visual on the seat and looked fine.I'm not going to worry about top performance.4run is going to be sold later anyways.I am changing knock sensor wire,head bolts,water pump,time belt etc.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:48 AM

Ive answered some of my quest.After sleeping on it I forgot that after the head is installed I have to worry about the valves hitting the piston.So doing it without the timing belt should be no.This mourning I called every parts store and its no.Must be a dealer item only.After that I called engnbldr ,with whom I got my head bolts and gasket set from, said as long as the clearance measurements are ok I'm fine.That those shims are very hard and that if the shim was dished that the cam would prob be bad also.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:56 AM

if i had those heads off i would ck clearance on all before reinstalling,they are to prone to trouble,my opinion is not to worry about dished shims,my concern would be proper clearance,dealer is prob only place to find,if you have compressed air sometimes you can put a blow gun at the base of the shim where the notch in the bucket is,give a short blast of air & shim will come loose,i prob would not be very popular but i work at a dealer-we reuse shims sometimes & have yet to have a problem
Old 04-05-2006, 12:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by littlerunner
...i prob would not be very popular but i work at a dealer-we reuse shims sometimes & have yet to have a problem
Being a professional in the industry myself (for GM) I am quite surprised you would say that, especially since you say that you are the service manager in your profile.

I personally think it is wrong to provide anything less than the best for customers. Most of the general public doesn't know the first thing about cars, and it's our responsibility to take care of them. By not offering your expertise and experience is taking advantage of their ignorance. Granted, if the customer doesn't agree, then that is a different situation. I also believe that professionals should get paid for the work they do, and as a flat rate tech, I certainly do nothing for free.

As a technician, I certainly wouldn't put a worn part back into the customers vehicle. Doing so only opens the door for lawsuits and a bad reputation. Not to mention the fact that these actions can ruin the ethic of the technicians in the shop. Before you know it, you have a shop full of guys who are bending back squealers on brake pads and the like. One bad apple spoils the barrel.

My 2 cents.